Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: eBay weber scams  (Read 6927 times)

weldboy

• WKC Ranger
eBay weber scams
« on: August 17, 2017, 01:29:14 PM »
So I purchased a mastertouch for $120 on eBay shipped. Fantastic deal right!? Well it was purchased with a stolen credit card and shipped from lowes to my home. Several other members have made purchases similar to this as well and it has been confirmed by Brian Wesson who called both lowes and eBay. Seller uses the eBay sell to entice buyers with the "to good to be true" low price, he then purchases the grill at full price with the stolen credit card and inputs your address for shipping. Grill arrives and you are none the wiser unless you look at the packing slip. PayPal is essentially being used to launder the stolen money. Stay away from those crazy good brand new Weber deals on eBay. Lowes and eBay are both aware now of what is going on.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
Re: eBay weber scams
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2017, 01:34:02 PM »
Anytime I see NIB for less than retail I usually don't bite. It could be someone was gifted a grill but I don't give most people the benefit of doubt. Sorry you got scammed and I hope they catch the pricks. Fuck thieves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

james1787

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2017, 01:43:57 PM »
Wow... so then what happens to you? Lowes/Home Depot contacts you and says they want the grill back because the card was stolen.. you're out the grill/$ and the thief walks away with your $120?
Seeking either 56-58 anything or Westerner

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2017, 01:51:58 PM »
Wow... so then what happens to you? Lowes/Home Depot contacts you and says they want the grill back because the card was stolen.. you're out the grill/$ and the thief walks away with your $120?

yeah this is a weird situation...

i think technically the grill is considered stolen
but I can't imagine Lowe's demanding the grill back or pursuing anything against the OP

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2017, 01:56:28 PM »
The weird situation is that you as the ebay buyer completed a totally legal transaction but technically the police could show up on at your front door asking you about stolen credit cards.  A quick explanation and investigation would clear you. 
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

james1787

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2017, 02:01:12 PM »

yeah this is a weird situation...

i think technically the grill is considered stolen
but I can't imagine Lowe's demanding the grill back or pursuing anything against the OP

Hard to say... technically you are in possession of stolen property, right? I guess they could try to go after you. If the police showed up at my door demanding I return the property or I can go with them to the station.. I don't want the hassle and then I'd file a claim with ebay to try to get my money back (which is probably already long gone?). Sticky situation.

In reality.. this happens so often that the police don't have the resources or time to track it down as they probably get 100's of complaints a week/day and Lowes would likely write it off. The thief will likely never be found or prosecuted. Heck the thief is probably in a different country entirely.

I've had my card compromised several times. Nothing happens. The card holder files a police report and a claim with their bank and the charge is taken off. The police don't do anything.. it just gets filed away along with the 1000's of other reports. Not really sure what happens to the vendor.. I guess they are out the money yet their insurance might pick it up..
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 02:04:28 PM by james1787 »

sparky

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2017, 02:06:43 PM »

james1787

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2017, 02:14:59 PM »
Happened to me a few years back, not a fun deal !
http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/off-topic/strange-e-bay-buy/msg139973/#msg139973

@sparky
It sounds like an identical scam. So what happened in the end after you were contacted by the sheriff? You said you never heard back since in that thread... was that the end of it?

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2017, 02:21:29 PM »
That is crazy. Thanks for the heads up.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

sparky

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2017, 02:36:14 PM »
Happened to me a few years back, not a fun deal !
http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/off-topic/strange-e-bay-buy/msg139973/#msg139973

@sparky
It sounds like an identical scam. So what happened in the end after you were contacted by the sheriff? You said you never heard back since in that thread... was that the end of it?
Never heard back, still have the grill.

Sent from my XT1564 using Tapatalk

wessonjb

• WKC Ranger
eBay weber scams
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2017, 03:32:53 PM »
I contacted lowes and gave them all the info I had on the eBay seller. They thanked me for coming forward and is starting to investigate . Was told to contact eBay and make them aware which I did. eBay had closed the seller down already because of this issue. Lowes told me to not worry about the grill and just hold onto the receipt and all emails I had. I bought the grill for $120 from eBay but the receipt showed I ordered it from lowes directly with a cc that's not mine and had shipped. Total was $216 . Looks like I used the stolen card

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[attachment deleted by admin]

soobaerodude

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2017, 04:01:02 PM »
This is known as Triangulation Fraud

Josh G

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2017, 04:03:08 PM »
eBay removes the seller and they open a new account the same day.  There's tons of these on eBay and they have been doing this for years.  Any time you see multiple items for crazy prices the sellers always have 0 feedback and are registered a day before.

Now they have started putting a 5-10 day handling period on their listings so they don't have to ship out right away.  This allows them time to sell all the items and obtain a stolen card and make all 10 purchases at once. 

Does not seem to be going away any time soon. 

bigssa

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2017, 05:54:24 PM »
If you pay with paypal, can you not just get your money back, especially if you can prove that it is a stolen item?

29tx

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2017, 08:22:16 PM »
This type of scam came up on tool forum I browse with Harbor Freight items (mainly floor jacks and small engines). From what I remember no one on there had their items confiscated after delivery, but some members would have orders canceled once Harbor Freight/eBay would catch on. I wonder how wide spread this problem is.