Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: eBay weber scams  (Read 6926 times)

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
Re: eBay weber scams
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2017, 09:49:48 AM »
Why can't you get the grill?  The Post office won't let you?
Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

Bubblehead

• WKC Brave
« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2017, 09:54:03 AM »
It's here, I just don't want to be part of some scam.  From everything I've read, I should be ok but even so, this will always be in the back of my head when I go to light the thing.

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2017, 10:08:49 AM »
Yeah due to the path of the purchase it is difficult for eBay or lowes to track down the culprit. Not much you can do besides keep track of all the purchase paperwork. The eBay seller has probably already closed their account and moved on

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

guntergriller

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2017, 06:37:12 PM »
I knew it! I found this one today on eBay and knew it was too good to be true.  Someone needs to step in and stop this kind of stealing!
https://www.ebay.com/itm/253096326522

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

weldboy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2017, 04:12:15 AM »

It's here, I just don't want to be part of some scam.  From everything I've read, I should be ok but even so, this will always be in the back of my head when I go to light the thing.

My gut says that if you wanted to you could order 10 more of those grills and probably get away with it. And I'm not talking in the sense like "try to get away with it ". I just think the scams are so prevalent right now that it would be like chasing a needle in a haystack for them. I would have an issue with anyone who ordered one of these grills knowing it is paid with a stolen credit card but no issue with anyone who ordered one and then figured it out. Lowes and eBay both told Brian and I to keep our grills. Sidenote it looked like one of your posts indicated that you thought they had your credit card. They do not, they have whoever's card number they used to pay for the grill. No one has any of your information except for your address. That's what makes the scam so genius on their end. You are essentially getting stolen goods but with very little paper trail aside from your address. My thought is they expect none of us will ever hear from eBay Lowe's the cops or anyone else about our purchase. Thus we will not spread the word and they can continue doing it. If it had not been for Brian looking at the packing slip and our brilliance ;) I don't think anyone would be the wiser.

Bubblehead

• WKC Brave
« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2017, 04:18:22 AM »
@Weldboy, I'm not worried that they have my card info. Its just my pesky conscience. Had you folks not alerted me today the scams, I probably would've been fat, dumb, and happy with the whole transaction.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

weldboy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2017, 11:07:11 AM »

@Weldboy, I'm not worried that they have my card info. Its just my pesky conscience. Had you folks not alerted me today the scams, I probably would've been fat, dumb, and happy with the whole transaction.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

No I feel bad about it too. But...this is why I choose to do business through eBay. Not trying to be a jerk towards them but this is kind of their baby and why I choose to shop through them(buyer protection) I have turned in 11 of the same posts since I bought my grill, yet the scam grills are still up today. If they cannot control it, its  just bad business on their part

james1787

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2017, 11:31:26 AM »
From some of the detectives I've talked to in the past (I've had a few credit cards compromised).. there is so much credit card stealing that it's almost impossible to track down as law enforcement simply doesn't have the resources to chase down each and every case. Police simply take a report.. you eventually get a refund from your bank, etc.. and that's it. The thief almost never gets prosecuted as nobody is really after them. How do they get your CC numbers? Most often it's simply someone on the take that handles credit cards... a gas station attendant.. waitstaff on a restaurant.. anywhere that your credit card could leave your sight. They have a pocket swiper and hand over the numbers and get paid. Of course the other method is any of the phishing emails people fall for.. or keyloggers on a PC... or these giant 'hacks' you hear about when a large store gets compromised. Lots of ways.
Seeking either 56-58 anything or Westerner

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #38 on: August 29, 2017, 11:40:09 AM »
How do they get your CC numbers? Most often it's simply someone on the take that handles credit cards... . waitstaff on a restaurant..  Lots of ways.

waitstaff....yep. that is how it happened to me, once upon a time.
I like my Kettles like my coffee....strong and black.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;

SmokeVide

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #39 on: August 31, 2017, 09:36:18 PM »
These NIB 26ers, shipped from Lowe's, still keep showing up on ebay. What I don't get is, why is it always a 26? Why don't the scammers try to increase their profit margin by doing it with something costlier like a performer or a ranch or one of the pricy gassers? These too-good-to-be-true deals, offered by first-time ebay sellers, only seem to show up for 26ers.

For that matter, why bother with Weber grills? Why not some expensive power tools?
Brian
Seeking: 26 rotisserie

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #40 on: September 01, 2017, 04:40:02 AM »
These NIB 26ers, shipped from Lowe's, still keep showing up on ebay. What I don't get is, why is it always a 26? Why don't the scammers try to increase their profit margin by doing it with something costlier like a performer or a ranch or one of the pricy gassers? These too-good-to-be-true deals, offered by first-time ebay sellers, only seem to show up for 26ers.

For that matter, why bother with Weber grills? Why not some expensive power tools?
The 26er's are the scam that we are talking about. But I am sure there is all kinds of stuff on ebay that is done the same way. Power tools, tvs, ipads the list is endless.
ISO Brown Go Anywhere

wessonjb

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #41 on: September 01, 2017, 04:45:28 AM »

The 26er's are the scam that we are talking about. But I am sure there is all kinds of stuff on ebay that is done the same way. Power tools, tvs, ipads the list is endless.
The MT 22 's are being scammed too. That's what I purchased and ended up being bought with stolen cc with my name and address

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pat G

• WKC Brave
« Reply #42 on: September 02, 2017, 11:19:09 AM »
We had a person on the "OfferUp" website, similiar to Craigslist,  in the Houston area that was obviously stealing grills.  It was the same user and he always had 10 different grills for sale at very low prices.  From the pictures it looked like he lived in a small apartment.  He has since been removed from OfferUp.
Performer Deluxe(Copper), 26 Kettle OTG, 22 Kettle OTG, Jumbo Joe, 18WSM, 14WSM, Genesis Gold B(Redhead), Q1200, Charcoal Go Anywhere, Gas Go Anywhere, Kettle Pizza & Vortex, Smoke

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #43 on: September 02, 2017, 12:20:04 PM »
How do they get your CC numbers? Most often it's simply someone on the take that handles credit cards... . waitstaff on a restaurant..  Lots of ways.

I always pay cash in restaurants.  I know it's probably only a matter of time for me, or any of us, but the longer I delay it the better.

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #44 on: September 03, 2017, 05:11:31 PM »

I always pay cash in restaurants.  I know it's probably only a matter of time for me, or any of us, but the longer I delay it the better.

BD
I never carry cash....such is life

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

I like my Kettles like my coffee....strong and black.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;