Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: eBay weber scams  (Read 6925 times)

bigredmf

• WKC Brave
Re: eBay weber scams
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2017, 03:11:05 AM »
If you pay with paypal, can you not just get your money back, especially if you can prove that it is a stolen item?

I experienced this a few months ago and indeed received my money back. What most concerned me was the PayPal response.

"Our investigation is complete and and we have recovered your funds. $980.00 USD has been credited to you. This is the maximum amount we were able to recover. Please allow up to 5 days for this adjustment to be posted.

We regret that you had this experience but hope that you are satisfied with this claim resolution.

Thank you,

Protection Services Department"

The maximum amount was the full amount but it led me to believe I could have lost money, but my fallback would have been to dispute the credit card charges.

The seller was active for over a year delivering product at exceptional value but was indeed a scam.

I'm not sure all good grill deals are scams being I've flipped new Target Webers for some extra scratch myself.

Red

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CatskillSmoker

• WKC Performer
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2017, 04:51:01 AM »
I was always told, if it's sounds too good to be true it usually is not true.

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2017, 03:55:04 PM »
I still can't figure out, do you have the grill?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

SmokeVide

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2017, 09:07:19 PM »
Curious, why do the scammers go through the trouble of getting an actual grill shipped to you? Why wouldn't they just take your paypal money and run?
Brian
Seeking: 26 rotisserie

Meat_smoke_repeat

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2017, 09:21:45 PM »
If they don't ship you the item you would report to eBay that you did not receive be item and the money would be taken out of their account. New paypal accounts have a hold on you being able to withdraw money right away, so the scammer needs you to receive the item they bought using the stolen credit card, then enough time passes and they can withdraw their "free" money from their paypal account thus effectively laundering the money out of the credit card into actual cash

weldboy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2017, 09:48:02 AM »

I still can't figure out, do you have the grill?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Yes I got the grill as did Brian and others. The seller delivers on everything they tell you they will. You're getting the grill at the price they offered it to you. The catch is the buy the grills from lowes with a stolen credit card and ship them directly to you from Lowe's. So eBay is not aware of the fact that the grill is coming from Lowe's and Lowes has no knowledge of the eBay transaction.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Bubblehead

• WKC Brave
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2017, 08:14:08 AM »
Not awesome.  I have a 26er arriving on Monday.  Sounds like exactly what went down.  I will have to carefully check out the paperwork and report if this is what's happened.  I've gone from excited to kinda bummed.

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2017, 08:52:23 AM »
Stealing credit cards?  Why are people so fucked up? I don't get it.  They should be shot.
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2017, 09:04:53 AM »
Stealing credit cards?  Why are people so fucked up? I don't get it.  They should be shot.

This.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

thomasandy57

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2017, 11:04:35 AM »
Just read the post about Ebay, Weber purchases and stolen CC.  Order a Weber last week, and YES it arrived from Lowes, and it was paid on a stolen CC. Something told me, don't order!
Tom

wessonjb

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2017, 12:02:07 PM »

Just read the post about Ebay, Weber purchases and stolen CC.  Order a Weber last week, and YES it arrived from Lowes, and it was paid on a stolen CC. Something told me, don't order!
Tom
I contacted lowes and reported it and then eBay to cover me. I was informed after doing so , I would be in the clear and to save all emails and receipts involving the purchase.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Rub

• WKC Ranger
    • Swamp Boys BBQ
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2017, 03:37:49 PM »
I just got hacked this past week. Hacker used my eBay and PayPal account to order and buy 2 video cameras. I noticed it within 2 hours, changed my passwords, notified eBay, PayPal, and the seller Circuit City-eBay. Seller still shipped the items the next morning to an address in Cocoa FL. So i called the Sheriff's Office over there to give them the address that would be receiving stolen property. They said I had to report it locally first and my local LEO should report it to them. So I filed a local report on Friday. The items are scheduled to be delivered Monday. I'd love it if the Cocoa Police would intercept the delivery, and knock on the bad guy's door Monday with the cameras. I'm not holding my breath though, I have a feeling the bad guys will prevail. BTW it took PayPal about 2 days to declare it a fraudulent buy and replace my money. I hate damn thieves.
In the market for unicorns to complete my collection: Ambassador, Plainsman, Meat Cut, Custom, Blue 18 MBH, Green 18 MBH

Cochise

• WKC Brave
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2017, 06:07:05 PM »
The lesson to be learned here.....NEVER buy a new Weber under any circumstances.
SMOKE THIS!!

Vwbuggin64

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2017, 07:22:45 PM »
The lesson to be learned here.....NEVER buy a new Weber under any circumstances.

This
Rollin coal

26" 2010 AD Code (Black), 22" 81 B (Faded Black), 22" 86 H (Black),91 N SJ (black), 18" 65 (Red), 12 AU Tostito SJ , 22" CU (Copper), 22” 2018 CB (Crimson),22” (Brown)Happy Cooker, Q2000 Charcoal, Weber Spirit, 22in Yellow, 18"WSM, Happy cooker SJ

Bubblehead

• WKC Brave
« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2017, 09:14:34 AM »
So, the grill arrived and is sitting in my office.  I'm not really sure where to start.  Lowe's?  eBay?  The only indicator on the packing slip that this is possibly part of an eBay scam is the "BILLING: 3RD PARTY" notation on the UPS shipping sticker.  The Lowe's packing slip doesn't have any indicators on it.

My gut says something stinks and I want to do the right thing, I'm just not sure what that is. Yet.

UPDATE:  I talked to Lowe's and they basically said thanks for letting them know and there was nothing funny on their end.  They suggested I speak with eBay as there is nothing they can do.

I told her about this thread and she says she appreciates the honesty but there's nothing she can do because nobody other than me has said anything.  She went so far as to suggest someone had picked up a bunch of grills on clearance and resold them on eBay.  Happens all the time, she said.  The hell?

So now what?  Was it legit?  Has nobody noticed a big charge on their card yet?  Do I contact eBay anyway?  If it was a legit transaction (which I doubt), I'd hate to open an investigation and screw the seller.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 09:38:37 AM by Bubblehead »