Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Cast iron appreciation thread  (Read 158175 times)

stillgriller

• WKC Ranger
Re: Cast iron appreciation thread
« Reply #270 on: July 12, 2021, 06:57:40 PM »
A couple years ago, I found a Griswold No. 14 Duo-chrome skillet at my local thrift shop, chrome intact. Wasn’t sure what to make of it, but it turned out to be quite rare and valuable.
Happiness is found under the lid of a charcoal grill.

acast285

• WKC Brave
« Reply #271 on: July 13, 2021, 04:41:31 AM »
A couple years ago, I found a Griswold No. 14 Duo-chrome skillet at my local thrift shop, chrome intact. Wasn’t sure what to make of it, but it turned out to be quite rare and valuable.
Oh wow, yea if the chrome was intact, it would be worth over $1000!

Jasonkuse

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #272 on: July 13, 2021, 08:31:38 AM »
I have a #8 BSR with a smooth as glass inside. I am having trouble getting a good season to stick. Any suggestions?  I have seasoned multiple times with a little success, but eventually seasoning starts to flake off.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

acast285

• WKC Brave
« Reply #273 on: July 13, 2021, 09:04:14 AM »
I have a #8 BSR with a smooth as glass inside. I am having trouble getting a good season to stick. Any suggestions?  I have seasoned multiple times with a little success, but eventually seasoning starts to flake off.

What fat/temp/time are you using to season?

Zrschaef

• WKC Brave
« Reply #274 on: July 13, 2021, 09:27:59 AM »

What oil are you using to season with? Time &Temp? Also was it sanded or cleaned with a wire wheel?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Jasonkuse

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #275 on: July 14, 2021, 03:43:36 AM »
I’ve used vegetable oil, canola oil, and vegetable shortening. Temps range from 350-450, and in all cases, my temp was at 1 hour with a slow cool down in oven. Originally cleaned with a coarse steel scrubber pad. The seasoning on the inside side walls is great, but the bottom doesn’t seem to hold. I’ve quit cooking acidic foods and use plastic or wood utensils now which helps a little.

Zrschaef

• WKC Brave
« Reply #276 on: July 14, 2021, 06:54:00 AM »
I’ve used vegetable oil, canola oil, and vegetable shortening. Temps range from 350-450, and in all cases, my temp was at 1 hour with a slow cool down in oven. Originally cleaned with a coarse steel scrubber pad. The seasoning on the inside side walls is great, but the bottom doesn’t seem to hold. I’ve quit cooking acidic foods and use plastic or wood utensils now which helps a little.

Interesting, I use 450 with most oils, sometimes 500. Less than that and most won't polymerize. As you use the pan the seasoning won't stay black. It will constantly change, maybe post a picture of your pan so we can see what you're working with?

Zrschaef

• WKC Brave
« Reply #277 on: July 14, 2021, 07:00:11 AM »
Just got this old gatemark out of the lye tank and gave it a good scrubbing. Still needs seasoned but I think it's going to turn out great!

acast285

• WKC Brave
« Reply #278 on: July 14, 2021, 07:18:02 AM »

From what I've learned, it's pretty important to start with a clean surface, if there is any old seasoning under your new applications it will never stick. Also another tip to note, is you must surpass the smoke point of the oil that you are seasoning with and to make sure that the coating of oil is very very thin.

From what I've read about different oils for seasoning is the more polyunsaturated fats and higher smoke point in the oil the better. I personally use organic grapeseed oil and bake at 350F for an hour, then increase the temp to 450F and then bake another hour and then turn off of the oven and let everything cool down naturally. 3-6 thin coats should get you right.

Jasonkuse

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #279 on: July 15, 2021, 11:50:49 AM »
Here’s pics of the pan.

acast285

• WKC Brave
« Reply #280 on: July 15, 2021, 01:27:08 PM »
Here’s pics of the pan.

Yea I think I would start over. Try searching You Tube for "Easy-Off Method". I would recommend 3 rounds of that with a good scrubbing and oven drying before starting the seasoning process.

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #281 on: July 15, 2021, 01:31:08 PM »
Is the seasoning not sticking or is it just dull from use?   My Wagner and Griswold pans look similar but are quite nonstick.   

Sometimes the best solution is to just use it. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jasonkuse

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #282 on: July 16, 2021, 05:43:09 PM »
The picture is after I scrubbed with an abrasive pad and soap. The seasoning will start to stick after using it, but if I cook something acidic or use metal utensils, it starts to flake off. That’s when I scrub and try again.

acast285

• WKC Brave
« Reply #283 on: July 17, 2021, 08:03:18 AM »
It looks like you may be scrubbing past the seasoning, leaving it too thin to withstand cooking. There are multiple videos online on how to safely clean cast iron to keep your seasoning intact and to continue building on it with every cook.

stillgriller

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #284 on: July 17, 2021, 12:37:44 PM »
Here’s pics of the pan.

You could start over, or you could use the salt, potato skins and/ or onions method with your choice of butter or oil. Plenty of videos on that, but basically you let them fry up in the pan, eventually they burn up and the pan is darker for it. Ditch the steel scrubbing pad…. And vow to never use anything metal to clean it again! Just wipe it out with a paper towel and warm water, drying immediately after. Good luck.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2021, 12:41:28 PM by stillgriller »
Happiness is found under the lid of a charcoal grill.