Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Cast iron appreciation thread  (Read 142619 times)

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
Re: Cast iron appreciation thread
« Reply #240 on: April 06, 2020, 07:24:49 AM »
One of my favorite “set it and forget it” cooks, carnitas: pork shoulder, sweet peppers, jalapeños, onions, garlic, S&P, EVOO in a Lodge Dutch oven indirect for 6 hours, and then uncovered and moved over direct to reduce the liquid for about an hour.  Once all the liquid is reduced the pork begins to fry in its own oil and begins to crisp around the edges.  Served with black beans and rice and then froze the remainder in 1lb portions.  Love my Lodge and Craycort cast iron!

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #241 on: April 06, 2020, 07:52:50 AM »
One of my favorite “set it and forget it” cooks, carnitas: pork shoulder, sweet peppers, jalape񯳬 onions, garlic, S&P, EVOO in a Lodge Dutch oven indirect for 6 hours, and then uncovered and moved over direct to reduce the liquid for about an hour.  Once all the liquid is reduced the pork begins to fry in its own oil and begins to crisp around the edges.  Served with black beans and rice and then froze the remainder in 1lb portions.  Love my Lodge and Craycort cast iron!
Looking real good !!!
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Cast iron appreciation thread
« Reply #242 on: April 06, 2020, 07:59:55 AM »
Exactly the type of inspiration I need right now. Great cook!

Bonus points for cast iron grate and cooking vessel.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #243 on: April 08, 2020, 01:19:29 PM »
I was a little too slow to get something like that up in Rockford.  A "Little Chef" cast iron barbeque of some sort.  Wish I had at least saved all the pics, but here is one.

Exactly the type of inspiration I need right now. Great cook!

Bonus points for cast iron grate and cooking vessel.

« Last Edit: April 09, 2020, 02:02:53 PM by PotsieWeber »
regards,
Hal

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
« Reply #244 on: April 09, 2020, 01:25:57 PM »
FYI, Right now Lodge has free shipping and also $10 off $50 or more if you sign up for their newsletter.  I’ve been holding out for one of their new carbon steel skillets and this promotion made me pull the trigger. 

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #245 on: April 09, 2020, 02:09:10 PM »

FYI, Right now Lodge has free shipping and also $10 off $50 or more if you sign up for their newsletter.  I’ve been holding out for one of their new carbon steel skillets and this promotion made me pull the trigger.

Which one did you get?  I have the ten inch and the 15” and I love them.

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
« Reply #246 on: April 09, 2020, 02:54:07 PM »

Hard choice, but landed on the 12” skillet which was $40, added a couple silicone handles to get over $50.  I am very excited.  [emoji51]

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #247 on: April 10, 2020, 02:03:37 AM »

Hard choice, but landed on the 12” skillet which was $40, added a couple silicone handles to get over $50.  I am very excited.  [emoji51]
I also have the 12" it is a grate piece of equipment you will love it
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #248 on: April 10, 2020, 02:58:43 AM »

I also have the 12" it is a grate piece of equipment you will love it

The surface starts out rough but quickly becomes very smooth from use.  I did not alter my surfaces or strip them. I just used the pans. You’ll love it.

« Last Edit: April 10, 2020, 03:00:25 AM by HoosierKettle »

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
« Reply #249 on: April 11, 2020, 07:01:11 AM »
“Blue”tiful  spring morning to make breakfast on a vintage griddle.

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #250 on: April 11, 2020, 07:24:24 AM »

Talk about making some breakfast in style. Bluetiful for sure.

Drenno

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #251 on: April 11, 2020, 03:38:14 PM »

I’d kill for a full size griddle like this one! I’m on the hunt for one of those or a 1425.

Looks awesome 🤙

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
« Reply #252 on: April 16, 2020, 05:27:10 AM »
Showing some love for the @craycort GA griddle which I bought a couple years ago and never got around to using.  I warmed up some pulled pork for a sandwich with some mashed potatoes in the basement. 

First off, I regret buying only one side instead of two.  I like that the elongated slot for the lifter tool is large enough to accommodate the older GA’s slanted lid hooks.  The regular cast iron craycort grates are not a good fit for the vintage GA’s because the hooks impede the lid from a tight fit.  The griddle does not have that problem. 

This particular accessory is not porcelain-enameled, but the factory seasoning was fine, no sticking at all.  The flat griddle side has raised lips around the grease drip holes whereas the grill side does not.  I’m not sure whether that difference was intentional or not, but I’m using an old genesis drip tray to catching drippings when using the grill side. 

I think craycort is onto something with this accessory.  Sweet little add-on to increase the GA’s already versatile repertoire.  A GA-specific vegetable wok insert would be pretty sweet too. 

Thanks for looking.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2020, 09:48:48 AM by Mr.CPHo »

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #253 on: April 16, 2020, 05:32:08 AM »
Wow Charlie!  Top notch cook as always. I started drooling. I’m starving now.

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #254 on: April 16, 2020, 05:35:41 AM »
Pretty cool @Mr.CPHo