Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: I am starting to UNDERSTND  (Read 3398 times)

clarissa

• WKC Brave
I am starting to UNDERSTND
« on: September 12, 2017, 05:16:37 AM »
Well, yesterday I found myself being disorganized and frustrated trying to get all the dishes cooked and ready to serve up. I had jalapeño poppers cooking away indirect and used direct to sauté bok choy with a variety of four mushrooms and onions. Then needed to slide them to indirect. I actually kept moving my coal baskets around to accomplish that.

Then I had to make my cedar plank salmon and just not enough room. Size and shape of cooking pans just doesn't always work well.

So I said to my hubby "now I understand why I should get a second grill". Do sides on one and the meats on the other.

Never thought I would even entertain having more than one since storage is a problem. But the lights have gone on in the attic now........so who knows!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
Re: I am starting to UNDERSTND
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2017, 05:24:06 AM »
There are always good reasons to have more grills. Anything in particular you are looking for?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2017, 05:34:00 AM »
So many reasons to have multiple grills..... Start browsing CL see if something interesting pops up.

WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

clarissa

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2017, 06:20:11 AM »
Wondering if I should get a small one for this purpose. Too bad no one makes quarter circle pans that would go around the perimeter and put your direct heat in the center of the grill .....that way you would have the right size/shape pan for sides, even meats and get it all done nicely. I can visualize a 4 piece curved set that is about 5-6" deep so it does not touch the hot center. Then you could use all or just some of them.

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2017, 06:58:03 AM »
You could just get a Ranch Kettle.  That way you'd only need 1 grill....  ;)
BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"

MDurso

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2017, 07:03:20 AM »
It's like when my wife asks why I need another guitar.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Inventor of things: labelers, automation, currency and counterfeit, cooking, gaming, tech industry, and medical.

MDurso

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2017, 07:17:20 AM »
To be honest, it's always helpful to have a second grill if you grill a lot or grill a lot of food.  You need a lot of real estate to move food around, control temps, etc.

The bulk of my weekday grilling is on a Q100.  If I decide to do corn on the cob, I fire up the Genesis specifically for that while the hamburger are going.

If I'm doing lobster on the charcoal, then I'll be doing veggies (likely on the Genesis) on another grill as well.

It's a luxury I have, others don't.  But finding a used grill, something that wouldn't even be the primary for the main dish, but more than adequate for the sides.  And less stressful!
Inventor of things: labelers, automation, currency and counterfeit, cooking, gaming, tech industry, and medical.

56MPG

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2017, 07:33:27 AM »
It's like when my wife asks why I need another guitar.
Why not bundle your obsessions passions?
Retired

MDurso

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2017, 08:10:35 AM »
DON'T JUDGE ME!!!!

That's fancy!  I'm clicking 'like' on that.

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2017, 08:15:48 AM »
@clarissa

I grappled with this for years with my 22; especially when preparing a good portion of the meal on the grill.

Should I get a second 22 maybe an 18?

Sell the 22 and get a 26? Or get a 26 and use the 22 as a backup?

Or like @Mdurso and have a gasser for support? Only you can decide what's best for your situation.

I ended up selling the 22 and getting a 26. I am picking up another 22 for cookouts, but for home use, the 26 can handle 95% of whatever I need to do week in, week out.

56MPG

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2017, 08:41:23 AM »
Good points @Mike in Roseville

I have many grills to choose from, and places to store them, but my go-to daily set-up is typically a Performer and a gasser used in concert. I often do veggies in baskets, and it's easier to control (and keep them warm) on the gasser.  Meat is almost always on the Performer, but even then it might spend time with both fuels depending on timing and other things. Granted, I have a huge gasser (the Summit Grill Center) that offers almost unlimited ways to move things on and off the heat, but for years I did the same thing with a vintage three burner Genesis. My next go-to is the 18.5 WSM, and it gets used a lot. Sure, I can, and do, smoke on the Performer, but it's not rare to have all three going - even for just me and my wife. (I'm usually cooking for the week anyway, so it adds up)

For family affairs - 15-30+ people is not uncommon - I fire up more charcoal grills, including the 26er. (I really need to use that more often) Four or five usually covers the bases for multiple types of meats. Tough to double up on a grill that is doing rotisserie duty, so right there you need more grills. Load up on wings or poppers and that takes a grill or two out of service for other things too.

Bottom line, if forced to, I'd give up every other grill I have if I could keep my Performer, WSM and Summit gasser.
Retired

MDurso

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2017, 08:57:50 AM »
One other fun thing, if this is your or your guests thing and depending on your outdoor space...  It's kinda cool for everyone to see these various grills and smokers going a the same time, along with the bean cooker of a gasser.  In some ways it's kind of a "pro" thing and "you know what you are doing".

Jockeying around an indirect, shifting times, pushing stuff around.. ugh!  I'm feeling the stress already.  But having one going with meat, over here I have corn.. Beans are fine.  A small one for kids to do marshmallows...

ok.. I'm day dreaming here...  :D

EricD

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2017, 10:02:20 AM »
I have multiple grill and/or cookers to choose from.   My justification is different temps. For example:  When grilling season comes around, almost everything is cooked outside.  Most foods need different temps and times.  I can get the charcoal screaming hot to sear a steak while the corn on the cob sits in the gasser with the beans and the Blackstone is caramelizing onions and bacon.
22" Kettle black, 18" Kettle black,Genesis S-310 Stainless Gasser, Genesis Silver Edition Gasser, 22" Weber Smoky Mountain, 28" Blackstone Griddle, Blackstone Pizza oven, Maverick ET-732
ThermaPop, Grillaholics Grill Mat, PizzaQue, Kettle Rotiserrie

Schaefd2

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2017, 01:14:12 PM »
I'm still debating the need for a second 22. However, I was gifted a beaut of an 18 to throw in the truck and take to picnics, or fishing trips.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
I've been called the Robin Hood of Weber Kettles.

Jon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2017, 08:47:25 PM »
Think about Thanksgiving Day. That is the best day for me to illustrate why I need multiple kettles. Maybe not as many kettles as I do have, but that more than one is a good thing.

Thanksgiving: While my wife, sister, daughter et al. are bumping into each other in a hot kitchen, I'm in the back yard with a cold one. Turkey cooking away on a kettle. Some sides on a kettle. Some veg on another kettle. And one kettle set up to run really hot to brown casseroles when they are done. Stress in the kitchen, easy peasy out back. I usually have three kettles going for something like this, the most was five, all were fun.