Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: I am starting to UNDERSTND  (Read 3405 times)

Schaefd2

• WKC Ranger
Re: I am starting to UNDERSTND
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2017, 06:36:17 PM »

Think about Thanksgiving Day. That is the best day for me to illustrate why I need multiple kettles. Maybe not as many kettles as I do have, but that more than one is a good thing.

Thanksgiving: While my wife, sister, daughter et al. are bumping into each other in a hot kitchen, I'm in the back yard with a cold one. Turkey cooking away on a kettle. Some sides on a kettle. Some veg on another kettle. And one kettle set up to run really hot to brown casseroles when they are done. Stress in the kitchen, easy peasy out back. I usually have three kettles going for something like this, the most was five, all were fun.
This.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
I've been called the Robin Hood of Weber Kettles.

james1787

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2017, 11:13:13 PM »
@clarissa

Most of the time, one grill is enough for us. If we're doing a small meal for just the three of us... the 18" is great. I usually use my 22" if I am going to smoke something.  If we have a couple of friends over.. the 22" will handle it. If we have several people over and we start adding a lot of meats or start smoking something.. having a second comes into play. A month or so ago I had a bunch of friends over and I grilled up 3 or 4 racks of ribs, burgers, & corn (some people brought a few sides). One of my 22" handled the ribs. the 18" did burgers / dogs and my other 22" did corn.

For a while I just had my 22" and then added an 18" and that was a really good combination for a long time. Then all of the enablers here and weberitis set in and I am probably a bit past what my wife will tolerate for a grill collection (and my collection is SMALL compared to many here).

I would suggest checking out an 18". Maybe look for a cool vintage MBH!
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 11:30:37 PM by james1787 »
Seeking either 56-58 anything or Westerner

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2017, 11:29:33 PM »
I used to SWEAR by cooking on two 22" grills. A 2nd grill is a great way to improve your veggie game. Using less charcoal cooks veggies SOO much better, and a 2nd grill is perfect for that.

However, after cooking on a 26" - I'd rather have that. The 26 is a game changer. You develop a relationship with the real estate and flexibility of the 26.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2017, 08:56:52 AM »
It's murder what some people can do with just an 18-1/2"....see here~~~>

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/grilling-bbqing/previous-don't-really-need-all-those-kettles-just-one-18-12'-5/msg7900/#msg7900

If space is limited (as you've said before) an 18" will fit the bill.....just enough room to take the stress out of juggling things around & doesn't have much of a footprint in a smaller yard/ area....

I've got a fairly small yard & I've got 8 or 9 of them fit in there..... ;D
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

MDurso

• WKC Brave
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2017, 09:15:16 AM »
Think about Thanksgiving Day. That is the best day for me to illustrate why I need multiple kettles. Maybe not as many kettles as I do have, but that more than one is a good thing.

Thanksgiving: While my wife, sister, daughter et al. are bumping into each other in a hot kitchen, I'm in the back yard with a cold one. Turkey cooking away on a kettle. Some sides on a kettle. Some veg on another kettle. And one kettle set up to run really hot to brown casseroles when they are done. Stress in the kitchen, easy peasy out back. I usually have three kettles going for something like this, the most was five, all were fun.

I like the way you think!!!

Even for the original poster @clarissa Consider a smokey joe if you really don't need a full size kettle and then.. you have one for travel!
Inventor of things: labelers, automation, currency and counterfeit, cooking, gaming, tech industry, and medical.

SMOKE FREAK

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2017, 04:26:54 PM »
More grills more better...

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2017, 05:46:06 PM »

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/grilling-bbqing/previous-don't-really-need-all-those-kettles-just-one-18-12'-5/msg7900/#msg7900

If space is limited (as you've said before) an 18" will fit the bill.....just enough room to take the stress out of juggling things around & doesn't have much of a footprint in a smaller yard/ area....

One of my favorite threads, out of the many from the erstwhile 1buckie. My primary cooker remains a 22, and often seems scant until I remember you can let cooked food rest while touching each other on the far end of the heat.

My main use of an extra grill or more is for places to put hot charcoal starters, dishes and so on. Of course there are zillions of ways to do that, but using extra grills is more fun.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2017, 11:05:08 AM »

One of my favorite threads, out of the many from the erstwhile 1buckie. My primary cooker remains a 22, and often seems scant until I remember you can let cooked food rest while touching each other on the far end of the heat.

My main use of an extra grill or more is for places to put hot charcoal starters, dishes and so on. Of course there are zillions of ways to do that, but using extra grills is more fun.

@addicted-to-smoke

Thank you.....I think.....

....I knew the word "erstwhile", but wasn't sure of the exact meaning.....so I looked it up....means, generally, "old" or "used-to-be"....so it could be construed that I'm "old & in the way" or maybe just that I've been around the block a few times....either way, I burrowed a little further into the history of the word & ran across this very short video about the naming of our meats:

Words of the Year: 1066
Or, Why Pig Meat is Called 'Pork' and Cow Meat is Called 'Beef'

Link:

https://www.merriam-webster.com/video/words-from-the-norman-invasion

Quote from the comments:

"It means that the food served on the table was named in the fashionable language of the court. There is a whole paragraph in Walter Scott's "Ivanhoe" about this:
“Why, how call you those grunting brutes running about on their four legs?” demanded Wamba.
“Swine, fool, swine,” said the herd, “every fool knows that.”
“And swine is good Saxon,” said the Jester; “but how call you the sow when she is flayed, and drawn, and quartered, and hung up by the heels, like a traitor?”
“Pork,” answered the swine-herd.
“I am very glad every fool knows that too,” said Wamba, “and pork, I think, is good Norman-French; and so when the brute lives, and is in the charge of a Saxon slave, she goes by her Saxon name; but becomes a Norman, and is called pork, when she is carried to the Castle-hall to feast among the nobles."

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2017, 01:48:45 PM »
HA! Coulda been a better choice of words. "Wise and experienced" is more what I intended, with reverence and deference.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2017, 04:31:44 PM »
HA! Coulda been a better choice of words. "Wise and experienced" is more what I intended, with reverence and deference.

@addicted-to-smoke

Yeah, but the real prize is why do we call it pork?

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2017, 05:37:57 PM »
@1buckie

See "deference" above ...

i.e. I would have no clue about why that is, and am slightly worried to learn the answer!

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2017, 07:51:39 AM »
@addicted-to-smoke

Battle of Hastings.....1066 A.D.

Words of the Year: 1066
Or, Why Pig Meat is Called 'Pork' and Cow Meat is Called 'Beef'

Link:

https://www.merriam-webster.com/video/words-from-the-norman-invasion

Check into that link....very short vid, but informative....

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2017, 08:08:30 AM »
Wow now that’s some history

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2017, 05:18:44 AM »
"to the victor belongs the spoils"

Fair "game," if I cook it I, too, should be able to name it :)