Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: How to clean these  (Read 2219 times)

jdorn

• WKC Ranger
How to clean these
« on: September 17, 2017, 05:20:48 PM »

Just acquired these with my free green DZ Gen 2 Performer Deluxe. Not sure if these are salvageable... any help would be appreciated!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

firedude5015

• WKC Ranger
Re: How to clean these
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2017, 05:42:32 PM »
My advice, as a cast iron cookware collector...use a wire brush and maybe some soap the clean the hell out of them....rub with flaxseed oil, build a hot coal bed under them...let it rock!...Troy turned me on to flaxseed oil..it polymerizes and creates a damned near permanent non stick surface.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2017, 06:16:22 PM »
I've been using Canola oil with good results but when it's time to reseason my stuff I'll also use flaxseed oil.

https://www.cooksillustrated.com/how_tos/5820-the-ultimate-way-to-season-cast-iron

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

SMOKE FREAK

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2017, 06:20:30 PM »
Brush em, oil em, and heat em up!
Sucks that one of the sections is broken...Craycort sells replacements...

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2017, 06:47:09 PM »
High lignon flax oil is what to aim for, from what I've read. Higher smoke point or harder protection or something than regular flax.

Not the kind sold at GNC on the shelf. You want the expensive stuff that's refrigerated (and sold that way.) I also use that to lightly wipe my CI pots/pans after cleaning them.

I love my CI pots and pans but never learned how to use CI grates and not have the coals constantly burning pretty much all the seasoning off.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2017, 03:56:25 AM »
High lignon flax oil is what to aim for, from what I've read. Higher smoke point or harder protection or something than regular flax.

Not the kind sold at GNC on the shelf. You want the expensive stuff that's refrigerated (and sold that way.) I also use that to lightly wipe my CI pots/pans after cleaning them.

I love my CI pots and pans but never learned how to use CI grates and not have the coals constantly burning pretty much all the seasoning off.
I too love my CI pans but I agree with you on the grates constant re season if you have any heat over medium the seasoning is gone. I have a set for the 26 that I hardly use
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2017, 04:38:39 AM »
I should counter my own statement and say I've used the Char-Broil "Universal Cast Iron Kettle Grate" on my 18 without burning off all the seasoning. This is for "normal" grilling not setting up for searing steaks or shoving any other sort of huge pile of coals under it. But I haven't looked at that grate in a year.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

MDurso

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2017, 06:17:31 AM »
I read so much about people cleaning their kettles and grates and all that.  That's something I never do, ever.  Sometimes I put the grates of a kettle on the Genesis and use gas to burn off everything, that's about it.  But never anything in the bowl or lid.  That's sacrilegious.
Inventor of things: labelers, automation, currency and counterfeit, cooking, gaming, tech industry, and medical.

eLLWOODgGLEN

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2017, 07:10:43 AM »
I read so much about people cleaning their kettles and grates and all that.  That's something I never do, ever.  Sometimes I put the grates of a kettle on the Genesis and use gas to burn off everything, that's about it.  But never anything in the bowl or lid.  That's sacrilegious.

I do a full clean and scrub when I buy a grill, you never know what funky crud is in there. Then I do a 40 min heat session prior to cooking the first time after cleaning.

After that, all I do is remove ash, scrape grates and cook. If I am transporting; I remove ash and scrap with a plastic spatula to remove all grease to prevent drips and scrape the grates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bubblehead

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2017, 07:48:28 AM »
I'd give them a good cleaning and hit them with flax seed oil prior to heat cycling.

SMOKE FREAK

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2017, 11:01:16 AM »

I too love my CI pans but I agree with you on the grates constant re season if you have any heat over medium the seasoning is gone. I have a set for the 26 that I hardly use

Just gotta brush em clean and oil em each time while they are still warm...Ready to go on the next cook...No problem...I love my Cracort grates...

MDurso

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2017, 11:08:40 AM »
actually... On the gas grill I preheat everything and pin the needle.  Just like a self cleaning oven.  Peg it and everything vaporizes.  anything else in the grill is seasoning.
Inventor of things: labelers, automation, currency and counterfeit, cooking, gaming, tech industry, and medical.