Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Picked up the green ss performer  (Read 12028 times)

namtrag

• WKC Brave
Picked up the green ss performer
« on: September 22, 2014, 05:26:29 AM »
Hi guys,

I picked up the ss green performer from the DC area last Friday.  The seller was a really nice guy, and refilled the propane tank for me so he could show me that the assist works.  Other than a lot of black grease, the unit is in great shape, in fact, I might just go ahead and cook on it before I clean it, just to blast it with some heat first.  It is a DD model.  It does have one tiny chip on the top of the lid with a rust spot, so that's a slight bummer.

I scored a new grate with the hinged sides at Target for $4.99 yesterday, so I will use it and clean the one that came with it to use as a back up. 

I still need to pick up some things to make life easier, like a heavy duty mitt, a thermometer for the grill surface, some wood chunks for smoking, and most of all, some charcoal lol.

I did have a question about the ash sweepers...do the DD (2000) model year units use the one that's currently being sold by Weber on their website?

Here is the condition of the bowl and sweeper.  I am hoping I can get the sweeper clean and not have to replace it.

namtrag

• WKC Brave
Re: Picked up the green ss performer
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2014, 05:37:35 AM »
BTW Here is the original CL pic.

weirleigh

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2014, 05:38:51 AM »
Congratulations on the new performer I think you will be very pleased with it.  I have a 2000 DD performer and the as sweeper is the same design that Weber sells.  However you may want to hold off until you give it a good cleaning, mine looked pretty rough at first site but they cleaned up pretty good and were actually stainless under the crud where the ones they sell now are not.  You may also want to go ahead and register the grill on Weber's website as well, don't worry that you don't have a serial number I registered mine just using the DD and said it was a gift, that way they will sell you replacement parts by phone that are not listed on the website.

namtrag

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2014, 05:54:39 AM »
I will go ahead and register it right now, thanks for letting me know!

SixZeroFour

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2014, 06:35:12 AM »
Beautiful looking green SS! Congrats on the pick-up.

Your performer definitely has the newer style sweep so you're safe to go ahead and order that if needed. You can also remove your existing one, clean up the bowl 100% underneath, and then very gently bend the fins back down a bit so they are flush with the bowl before re-installing. This is also a good test to see if they truly are shot, if you go to do the slight bend and they snap then they probably didn't have that much life left in them anyways.

You are going to love that rig!
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

namtrag

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2014, 06:50:40 AM »
Beautiful looking green SS! Congrats on the pick-up.

Your performer definitely has the newer style sweep so you're safe to go ahead and order that if needed. You can also remove your existing one, clean up the bowl 100% underneath, and then very gently bend the fins back down a bit so they are flush with the bowl before re-installing. This is also a good test to see if they truly are shot, if you go to do the slight bend and they snap then they probably didn't have that much life left in them anyways.

You are going to love that rig!

I will try to work on that soon, I have so much crap scheduled this week and weekend, so I may not get to it for a while.  I did notice that the sweepers weren't flush, so I will do that removal thing and try to bend them down a bit.  It will be easier to clean them if I take them out, and the bowl will also be easier to clean.

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2014, 07:54:15 AM »
Nice find!  It looks really solid, and I expect it will clean up very nicely. 

Actually, those stainless steel sweeps might still be in stock at Weber, if you ask for stock number  #90720  (big thanks to 604 for showing me that trick--  http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/question-for-the-guru's/).  Otherwise the standard #7444 should work just fine. 

Make sure you post up any questions that come up along the way, and for sure show us some pics of the finished project!
One of the charcoal people.

GregS

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2014, 10:13:07 AM »
Holy crap that looks awesome!  congrats! 

I only use kettles with lid bales.

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2014, 10:13:49 AM »
I have the same one!  Congrats on your score i think you will like it very much (i know i do!) if you don't have a chimney or baskets you might want those too.
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

namtrag

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2014, 10:39:20 AM »
Thanks, everyone!

I am looking at Amazon at all the cool stuff I need to buy.  I am sure I won't be the first to spend more on accessories than I did on the actual grill.

I am kind of scared to take the bowl out to clean because it has that gas line coming in...is that a big deal?

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2014, 10:43:53 AM »
Try here, see if that don't answer your questions, the burner tube is held in by two bolts and nuts so no big deal.
http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/weber-kettle-technical-reference-library/
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

Taz

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2014, 09:22:59 PM »
You may also want to go ahead and register the grill on Weber's website as well, don't worry that you don't have a serial number I registered mine just using the DD and said it was a gift, that way they will sell you replacement parts by phone that are not listed on the website.

I wasn't aware of this and also picked up a similar SS Performer recently. Thanks for mentioning it @weirleigh!

Taz

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2014, 09:24:23 PM »
Congrats on the score @namtrag!

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2014, 09:46:33 PM »
So you did get up there & get it....cool deal !!!!

Worth the trip, it appears !!!!

Seems like it's in pretty decent shape......just remember if you're taking out the sweeps, they go in a certain order, so mark them somehow as they come apart.....
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2014, 09:47:51 PM »
"and most of all, some charcoal lol."

Yeah, that's a thing right there..... 8)
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"