Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Picked up the green ss performer  (Read 12026 times)

SixZeroFour

Re: Picked up the green ss performer
« Reply #60 on: October 04, 2014, 06:43:19 AM »
Yeah, pretty sure it's hosed.  Doesn't look like baked grease to me. 

I agree with the others here - I've NEVER seen bowl damage like that before - it must be baked on crud?!?  :o

Do you have the packaging for the steel wool? If it's #0000 there's no way it chewed up the porcelain like that without some crazy chemical or something being used. Honestly I usually tell people there isn't a whole lot you can do to damaged the porcelain - especially to that extent. I'm still holding faith that it will come off. As you were cleaning did it ever go shiny black first and then down to the grey or was that crap just always there?

Let us know exactly the procedure and chemicals used and that will help a lot. Like dazzo said get a BIG pack of razor blades (usually the 100 pack is only a few bucks more than a 10 pack) I prob go through 5 or 6 blades on a single nasty clean up.

Don't give up yet!

« Last Edit: October 04, 2014, 06:59:50 AM by SixZeroFour »
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

SixZeroFour

« Reply #61 on: October 04, 2014, 06:45:27 AM »
And get aggressive with the razor scraper... really scrape at a portion of that junk and see if you can clear a little section. If it IS damaged like that you're not going to mess it up anymore anyways! Start from an edge and scrape inwards with muscle like your stripping paint.

PS - the 4" "band" where all that crud has built up above the grate is somewhat notorious for being extra nasty - hopefully that bad news is good news...
« Last Edit: October 04, 2014, 07:01:03 AM by SixZeroFour »

namtrag

• WKC Brave
« Reply #62 on: October 04, 2014, 10:50:15 AM »
Yayayayayayay!  It was crud.  I got 90% off, but have stopped for the day as I am planning on cooking later on it.   A tip i figured out after a long while was to wet or and put dish detergent on it.  Once I did this the razor moved easier.  After a while I switched to dish soap and steel wool.  By the way, the steel wool was "fine", I believe it was 0 or 00.   

The interior does have some rust spots, and I guess that is normal.  Thanks for telling me to not give up!  It really did look like bare metal, but the razor don't lie!

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #63 on: October 04, 2014, 11:55:57 AM »
This is good.......

......I figured out a little trick cleaning on that one I showed.......instead of dish soap, which works good, but then has to be cleared before you cook, I used apple cider vinegar.......

soaked a rag, patted onto the cruded surfaces, scrubbed with rag so it would soak into the crud, razor scrape, repeat some........

When it was clean, just fired up.....stinks weird for about two minutes, then cook................
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

namtrag

• WKC Brave
« Reply #64 on: October 04, 2014, 01:27:48 PM »

Buck I will remember that trick for when I tackle the inside of the lid! 

Here is how she looks now.  Still some crud, but lots better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SixZeroFour

« Reply #65 on: October 04, 2014, 02:53:48 PM »
YES!!! Very good news! ... BUT ... Please don't use that steel wool on the kettle anymore! Stick with 0000 - I have seen even 000 slightly scuff lid porcelain before. Better safe than sorry  :)

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #66 on: October 05, 2014, 04:57:30 PM »
Great work, namtrag! It looks great!
One of the charcoal people.

JDD

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #67 on: October 05, 2014, 05:10:23 PM »
Good job way to go!
May The Smoke Be With You!

namtrag

• WKC Brave
« Reply #68 on: October 06, 2014, 02:04:27 AM »
Thanks'. Should I worry about the rust spots, or just let the grease cure it? Lol