Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Picked up the green ss performer  (Read 12009 times)

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
Re: Picked up the green ss performer
« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2014, 07:42:28 AM »
Wow my thread revived from the dead.

I am planning a big clean this Friday, as I have been really busy the past two weekends.

It is definitely an H...I can see it real well in person.  Who knows, maybe it was already replaced once.

Another interesting thing you guys may know about.  It came with 2 extra different hose couplings for connecting the propane.  The original tank is still working and I saw it fired up before I bought it, but the guy also showed me two other couplings that he had...they were a different diameter.  I had never seen anyone say this before, so I thought I would bring it up.

Show us some pics.. One is probably the quick disconnect and the other is the fill fitting that you need to take o the propane fill station.. Just  a hunch..  8)
I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..

namtrag

• WKC Brave
« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2014, 07:54:01 AM »
I will have to get some pics when I get home tonight. The former owner said he never used them for anything, and had no idea what they were for.

GregS

• WKC Performer
« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2014, 08:22:42 AM »
1 - Its not a terribly expensive or difficult part to replace, but...
2 - I like to use a drip pan under some of my cooks. I think if you keep your kettle cleaned out, they will last for a long time.
AJ
1 - agreed.
2 - same here about the drip pan so i hope they last a long time.

i have a few old style ones nib i acquired from an old jedi in a recent cloak and dagger parking lot type meeting.  but now i feel like they are more valuable than the price of the trade value i acquired them for.  so i may just buy more of the newer type to use and hang on to the old ones like some kind of eejit thinking "they're too rare and good to use!"

that's a sign of weberitis isn't it? 
I only use kettles with lid bales.

namtrag

• WKC Brave
« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2014, 02:34:41 PM »

Here is a pic of the two extra couplings the guy gave me.  He was the second owner, having bought the performer from a Marine at Quantico.  The original owner said he bought it at the PX when he was overseas.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 02:37:44 PM by namtrag »

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2014, 07:31:30 PM »
Cant see the top one too clearly, but he bottom one is for the propane station to attach to his machine to use the quick connect on the tank. It has pretty much gone away as every new tank is OPD and the connector is faster and easier..

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2014, 07:33:55 PM »
1 - Its not a terribly expensive or difficult part to replace, but...
2 - I like to use a drip pan under some of my cooks. I think if you keep your kettle cleaned out, they will last for a long time.
AJ
1 - agreed.
2 - same here about the drip pan so i hope they last a long time.

i have a few old style ones nib i acquired from an old jedi in a recent cloak and dagger parking lot type meeting.  but now i feel like they are more valuable than the price of the trade value i acquired them for.  so i may just buy more of the newer type to use and hang on to the old ones like some kind of eejit thinking "they're too rare and good to use!"

that's a sign of weberitis isn't it? 

You pretty much answered your own question..  8)

namtrag

• WKC Brave
« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2014, 06:09:15 AM »
Thanks on the connector...we were thinking one was for a small green Coleman bottle, and maybe the other was for a full sized tank.  We were wrong obviously!

namtrag

• WKC Brave
« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2014, 06:22:09 AM »
I am pretty psyched about cleaning it up tomorrow and grilling on Saturday, but one thing I am not sure how to do is remove the ash sweep assembly.  I hope it's pretty easy!  I also hope they don't break when I clean them and bend them a little so they fit snug against the bowl, because I don't have replacements on hand!

GregS

• WKC Performer
« Reply #38 on: October 03, 2014, 03:29:14 AM »
I am pretty psyched about cleaning it up tomorrow and grilling on Saturday, but one thing I am not sure how to do is remove the ash sweep assembly.  I hope it's pretty easy!  I also hope they don't break when I clean them and bend them a little so they fit snug against the bowl, because I don't have replacements on hand!
my experience with these is it just depends on how rusted it it.  i've only un-installed the old style sweeps. 

the first step i use is hitting the sweep mechanism with penetrating oil spray.  i'm not a huge fan of WD40 but if that's all you have then give it a try.  let it soak in for a while, i typically wait at least an hour hitting it "generously". 

"IF" the bottom thumb screw breaks off while trying to twist it out, which has happened to me on more than 50% of them then...  the key here is getting the sweep handle out of the nut so the nut passes up through the washer (in some cases) and kettle. 

in this thread   http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/don't-throw-away-that-old-weber!/  he drills out the nut from the bottom and states that the whole nut falls apart.  i haven't gone this route.

i just hack sawed off both ends of the handle at the nut so the nut slid up through the kettle.  then installed the newer style sweeps (weber part # 7444, $17.99 at my local ace) which were a direct replacement to what i had removed.  i know people say you have to mod something, but i didn't. i just replaced the washer that came with the new sweep with the cross member bracket that holds the ash pan mount in place. 

the important thing about hack sawing off the sweep handle that goes through the bolt is to try to do it right at the bolt.  if you leave excess handle sticking out of the bolt you're risking taking the bolt through the washer and kettle bottom hole more difficult or impossible.  you may end up having to cut it again which sucks. 

good luck, let us know how it goes and be carefull around that beautiful green! 

namtrag

• WKC Brave
« Reply #39 on: October 03, 2014, 05:17:23 AM »
Thanks, Greg...I hope mine is a little easier than that, but your tips will help if it isn't!
« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 05:42:50 AM by namtrag »

SixZeroFour

« Reply #40 on: October 03, 2014, 07:13:30 AM »
namtrag: You should be able to remove yours much easier... just take a flathead screwdriver and place it between the H-Drive piece and the metal handle and while twisting the flathead screwdriver also twist and pull outwards and the handle should come free. It's a twist lock type of idea so you just need to release pressure on the tab so it comes free. Hit it with some rust penetrant from both sides before hand and let it sit a bit and it will make life a bit easier too.

On the older style they can be a lot more tricky because the handle bar rusts into the nut assembly which is why many people need to cut the handle in order to get it out.

Good luck! You'll be fine!
« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 07:16:46 AM by SixZeroFour »
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

namtrag

• WKC Brave
« Reply #41 on: October 03, 2014, 07:33:38 AM »
Thanks!  I found an old post on here where someone put up a diagram showing how to do it!

GregS

• WKC Performer
« Reply #42 on: October 03, 2014, 08:18:56 AM »
i gotten some great advice from brian to check with your local hardware store and see if they have a #7409 in stock.  these are the older style set up and many stores still have them sitting there on the shelves new in box. 

they're out there if you'd rather find the older type.  amazon wants almost $50 for them, but they ring up at True Value when you find them for $19.99. 

namtrag

• WKC Brave
« Reply #43 on: October 03, 2014, 05:13:36 PM »
I was able to remove the sweeper assembly pretty easily.  I bent the blades, and reinstalled it.

However. I did screw the kettle up because it was a little dark out while I was working,  and it looks like the ceramic came off when I scrubbed the inside with steel wool.  Areas that had heavy grease ended up with the ceramic worn off.  I am sick over it.  It's around the upper edge all the way around, about 4" wide.  I am so mad at myself :(

I used the steel wool that said it was for ceramic.  I will take pics in the morning, but I am pretty sure I effed up.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 05:15:34 PM by namtrag »

SixZeroFour

« Reply #44 on: October 03, 2014, 06:20:49 PM »
@namtrag should stick with the new version #7444 sweep, but @GregS - your performer would benefit from going back to the original #7409. It will fit more snug than the newer replacement you currently have installed.

namtrag: Did you used super fine #0000 Steel Wool? If so it would pretty hard to wear it right down... it could just be caked on creosote as sometime it looks and feels like the kettle should be clean but there is really dark bits left behind... give it a scratch with a razor scraper and let us know hoe it goes!
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E