Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Calling all Weber Q owners  (Read 34136 times)

Fo Sizzle My Nizzle

• WKC Brave
Re: Calling all Weber Q owners
« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2014, 06:19:41 PM »
I ended up grabbing a Q300 last fall for $40 to keep me grilling through the winter and on days where time is short. I'll still fire ip the WSMs and kettles during the winter, but the Q is great when I just need to get it done.

Used it tonight for some quick chicken sandwiches. My wife was going to slice avocados and tomatoes while I was grilling. I was back inside with cooked chicken before she was done. Not to mention I love how easy it is to get cross-hatched grill marks on the CI. 

BBQ Jack

• WKC Brave
« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2014, 09:07:24 PM »
I have a red Q3200, it is the best gas grill that I have ever used. The only downside is that since it is a Q the side tables and warming rack are too small, but the grilling performance is excellent due to the design. Ace was advertising the red as a limited edition but I doubt Weber will ever stop making the red version, it is the same as the other Q3200's except for the color of the hood.

weirleigh

• WKC Brave
« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2014, 03:21:34 PM »
OK so webertitus apparently can flow over into gas grills as well  ::) Just to be honest way back on 9/20/14 when this thread started the only thing I had similar to a gas grill would be the skeletal remains of an old char-broil that has not been used in years.  I still prefer charcoal don't want to give the wrong impression on that, but it is already getting darker sooner and the thought of having a q for fast week night grills was appealing. 
As I had posted earlier I found an older q 120 on craig's list and paid $50 for the grill the cart and 2 regular sized propane tank.  So that's that I cleaned it up, grilled some chicken it came out great I was happy and done with the gas grills.  Then I went to the goodwill outlet (a place for people like me that can't afford the regular goodwill) and I saw a very dirty go anywhere grill.  I didn't get it then but couldn't sleep feeling I had failed the WKC by leaving a Weber behind even if it wasn't a kettle.  So the next day I went back and paid $2.11 for the go anywhere, now I am done I have a portable and an ultra-portable what else would you need.  Then Sunday evening I went on craig's list again just to look around and saw an ad for a free weber beckoning me to click on it.  The picture looked like another older q 120 like mine something I could always scavenge for parts if needed.  Emailed the giver awayer and it was still available they said I could have it if I wanted, jumped in the truck and drove 70 miles on a Sunday night to find it was a q 200, a very dirty q 200 full of crud but in very good shape.  It also came with the cart and a propane tank, I asked the guy a couple of times are you sure you just want to give it away?  Yes, they were moving and just wanted it gone and out of their hair today.  After cleaning it up it is in even better shape than the one I paid for, I am calling it quits now on craig's list gasers for a while I didn't know the disease could spill over into non kettle grills. 
I am happy with them, I really haven't tried cooking on the go anywhere yet  the flavorizer bar was very rusty  as were the grates on all three grills, I cleaned all the rust off with vinegar and seasoning the flavorizer bar the same way I do cast iron.  I don't look for that to last on the bar as it sits right on the gas line but it will prevent more rust this winter when not in use and I don’t feel like getting a new one for a $2 dollar grill. 
I have tested both q’s out, for normal stuff I actually prefer the smaller one but can see some ways for the 200 to come in handy as well.  I added cheap thermometers to both qs I am not sure what good they will do cooking but it did come in handy as far as looking across the yard to see the small gas bottle I was using was empty (it was almost empty when I started just wanted to see what I could get out of it).  Also when I got the q120 I ordered  the q light for around $10 because of some store credit I had I believe they are normally around $20 and I really like how that fits to the handle and only comes on when the lid is opened. 
Below are some pictures of my new gaser family, this ended up being a long post but needed to share and outside of the WKC you only get strange looks when you say you just acquired three more grills you didn't need in a week. 

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2014, 08:44:31 AM »
"..and outside of the WKC you only get strange looks when you say you just acquired three more grills you didn't need in a week."

@weirleigh , your last statement sums things up so well. you should use it as a tag line! And congratulations on some awesome scores.   

@Troy and the Statesmen, can we have a "hall of fame" sticky somewhere for quotable quotes like this?  :)
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2014, 10:03:49 AM »
"..and outside of the WKC you only get strange looks when you say you just acquired three more grills you didn't need in a week."

@weirleigh , your last statement sums things up so well. you should use it as a tag line! And congratulations on some awesome scores.   

@Troy and the Statesmen, can we have a "hall of fame" sticky somewhere for quotable quotes like this?  :)

Hah, that's a fun idea!

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2014, 01:23:40 PM »
@weirleigh

Just wait til you start noticing all of the cheap/free Weber Genesis grills that are on CL and you pick up a couple of those.  Then you'll really have stepped off the deep end. 

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2014, 08:16:18 AM »
Here are my Q's

Redhead Q120

And the Q200

I paid $35 for each of them and the Q200 came with a 5lb. bulk tank and 6' hose.

I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2014, 06:07:16 PM »
New Weber catalog came out and it includes a whole lot of different colors now for the Q line...
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"
8 MBH, 2 WoodDale, a SCG, and other stuff, including Pellet grills.

jeffinsgf

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2015, 08:57:05 AM »
Late to the party here, but I will chime in as another very satisfied Q owner. I have the Ace Hardware Redhead Q3200. I went through a slough of gas grills in the 80s and 90s, burning one out every couple years and never liking them even when new. I got fed up with gas cooking, bought a Weber Kettle and then a couple years later a Big Green Egg. All these years later in life, some evenings I want to move things along a little quicker, and I liked the looks of the Q design. I couldn't be happier with it. It gets really hot really fast and holds temperature very consistently. I did an 18 pound turkey over the holidays. It was the best turkey I've ever cooked, inside or out. I think a Q is a perfect complement to a Kettle for an outdoor kitchen. It cooks very similarly.

BBQ Jack

• WKC Brave
« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2015, 03:13:43 PM »
I just cooked some steaks on the 3200, this grill could almost make me forget the kettle.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2015, 04:27:40 PM by BBQ Jack »

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #40 on: February 13, 2015, 08:08:43 AM »
I have a Q220 that's about 7 years old. I have the stand and 20lb propane tank adapter hose. It was my primary grill in college and I've kept it mostly unused for the past couple of years. It's great for a tailgate or camping, but I would like to get a Smokey Joe or Go Anywhere.... The Q220 is just a tad big when space is tight or cooking for just 2 people.

Les Lammers

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #41 on: February 25, 2015, 02:10:21 PM »
We have a Q120 that's used for quick cooking such as burger's, chicken breasts and especially fish.  The Q is really good for fish.  We have it on a large tank with a stainless braided adapter hose as squirrels will gnaw through the rubber adapter hoses.  Sometimes getting a kettle going is just too much effort relative to how long the cooking is going to take.

I use a Q100 for the same reasons and have the cast iron grill for pancakes etc.

bbquy

• WKC Brave
« Reply #42 on: February 25, 2015, 07:19:37 PM »
Just like jeffinsgf I have the Redhead from Ace but my model is the Q2200. I love the grill and it holds temps great!

wyd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #43 on: February 26, 2015, 04:46:55 PM »
I'm doing a garden show for work and my dealer that k buy my grills from said I have something to show you.  I said to him you must have gotten the new blue Q1200.  He said yes and I said you know that is mine after the show.  He laughed and said I already had one set back for you.  Lol my dealer knows me well.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 05:14:42 PM by wyd »
Platinum Performer Kettle (In Blue), OTG (In Blue)
Genesis Gasser (In Blue), Smokey Joe (Uline Lime)
Looking to buy (18.5 blue or brownie and blue lantern)

dwnthehatch

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #44 on: March 29, 2015, 02:25:08 PM »
I got to see a few of the new colors today. I'm sold on a limey.