Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Best $20 bucks I ever spent  (Read 3646 times)

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
Best $20 bucks I ever spent
« on: June 30, 2016, 05:17:37 PM »
I've been flipping gasssers on Craigslist for a few months. Got a real nice summit silver that was missing the left work table. A new one would have been $70 through weber for a piece of plastic?!? No way.
I decided a cheap donor grill would be the major cost effective plan. Grabbed a Genesis gold natural gas that was in ok shape minus a rusty cross member and rough burners but it was NG which I don't have so I this was the perfect donor.

A part here, a part there, that donor grill has put At least 4 other grills back in action. A month ago this was a full grill. This is what is left as of today:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Starting LineUp: Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, Ranch Kettle, Genesis E310, SJ Gold MiniWSM, the JETTLE,
Alumni: Performer Dlx, 22.5" WSM, 26" OTG, 18.5" WSM, 22" OTP

varekai

• WKC Ranger
Re: Best $20 bucks I ever spent
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2016, 07:48:07 AM »
I like it!!.. I too have donor grills. Of late I have started taking 3 gassers apart to make one nice one. It's nice to have those extras around. Heres the link to my current project in the works..  https://www.flickr.com/photos/varekai/albums/72157669675666812
CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2016, 06:08:41 PM »
The grill that keeps on giving will be doing so again. Grabbed a Genesis silver c for a friend yesterday.the prior owner did a lot of upkeep...perhaps too much. Looks like he painted the lid and there is over spray on the knobs and control panel. This control panel and knobs will be salvaged as part of the restoration.

"So Others May Grill"
Starting LineUp: Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, Ranch Kettle, Genesis E310, SJ Gold MiniWSM, the JETTLE,

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
Best $20 bucks I ever spent
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2017, 04:13:08 AM »
Seeing as how this is the grill that won't stop giving, I decided this thread should continue as well. I recently found and sold two other gassers. One had a rusted bottom panel that was replaced by the wire shelf you see in the photo above and the other had damaged knobs and starter button. The entire control panel in the was donated to the new grill and it was good as new.

These recent sales (as well as several others) allowed me to to break even on my new Summit:

I will say I now have two donors that are almost picked clean. It may finally be time to send them to the curb unless a new project comes along [emoji848]

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2017, 06:20:50 AM »
I've been flipping gasssers on Craigslist for a few months. Got a real nice summit silver that was missing the left work table. A new one would have been $70 through weber for a piece of plastic?!? No way.
I decided a cheap donor grill would be the major cost effective plan. Grabbed a Genesis gold natural gas that was in ok shape minus a rusty cross member and rough burners but it was NG which I don't have so I this was the perfect donor.

A part here, a part there, that donor grill has put At least 4 other grills back in action. A month ago this was a full grill. This is what is left as of today:

My donor grill wound up with a new lease on life:
20151115_123414 by jcnaz, on Flickr

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

Easy

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2017, 04:25:05 PM »
This is what i want to find and then mod it into a WSM cart using the gas burner to start my chimneys plenty of room below for smoke wood storage and I can always use a extra work table. heck i could even have enough room for JJ also.

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2017, 05:57:34 PM »
Nice wheeling and dealin Charlie!  The outcome is most impressive.    Do you still have the manifold and the side burner from the NG grill ?  I might just be interested in them.

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2017, 08:06:09 PM »
@CharliefromLI   Heh, keep forgetting about mentions....   ;D