Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Calling all Weber Q owners  (Read 34197 times)

BBQ Jack

• WKC Brave
Re: Calling all Weber Q owners
« Reply #60 on: April 25, 2015, 05:47:46 PM »
The Q is great for a second grill in the yard. You would not want to get rid of your gas grill with a Rotisserie and side burner. If you can only have one grill for the yard it may not be the best one for you.  When you look at the price of the Q's you find the cost of the smaller Q's along with the cost of a 20lb tank adapter hose and cart can get expensive, and then the price of the Q3200 does not seem so bad as it is set up for the 20lb tank and has a nice cart. What I found is that the Q3200 does heat up fast and hits a high temp. With the low BTU's it is efficient on gas.  Maybe it is the design, but you will find that when you start cooking on it you really like the way it grills and you find yourself using it instead of the expensive gas grill with the heavy duty steel rods that you already have.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 03:41:04 PM by BBQ Jack »

jeffinsgf

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #61 on: April 27, 2015, 01:48:51 PM »
I mentioned the griddle a bit earlier in the thread...

Here it is in action last night cooking up some home fries to go with our burgers.

AJ328

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #62 on: May 31, 2015, 04:52:37 AM »
Hi, after going back and forth on another thread about getting a gasser, I think I've been sold on a Q. One thing I was wondering is what type of small canisters do they take. I assumed they were the short fat green ones used by a lot of portable grills, but looking on amazon I saw a comment that said you have to use the thing blue ones used for torches. Is this right?

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #63 on: May 31, 2015, 04:57:40 AM »
The Q1xxx and Q2xxx lines take the small bottles, but you can also purchase a hose to hook to a larger tank,  I highly recommend it. 

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Weber-6-ft-Adapter-Hose-for-Q-Series-and-Gas-Go-Anywhere-Grills-6501/100130667

I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"
8 MBH, 2 WoodDale, a SCG, and other stuff, including Pellet grills.

AJ328

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #64 on: May 31, 2015, 07:11:47 AM »
Just got back from ACE and I'm now the owner of a new Q2200 red head. I'm take her for a spin this afternoon.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #65 on: May 31, 2015, 07:25:08 AM »
Good deal, @AJ328.  Enjoy it! So given the comments in the other thread what were your impressions of the Q when you saw it in person next to a Genesis?
« Last Edit: May 31, 2015, 07:32:24 AM by pbe gummi bear »
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #66 on: May 31, 2015, 08:02:19 AM »
Oh man those redheads at Ace are the only way to go! Well played, sir. Did you also see their exclusive line of red handled Weber tongs, spatulas etc? Gotta go for the complete match now, my friend.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

AJ328

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #67 on: May 31, 2015, 08:25:40 AM »
Good deal, @AJ328.  Enjoy it! So given the comments in the other thread what were your impressions of the Q when you saw it in person next to a Genesis?

I wouldn't say this purchase ended the need for a larger grill with a side burner (I put in some emails on craigslist for a few older genesis models :)). But I would say this grill fills a need I didn't even know I had  :P. I go on a lot of camping and fishing trips and my smokey joes and Jumbo Joe have served me very well, but after a day in the water or hiking, long cooks are out of the question and usually all you want is something that cooks fast so the weber Q is great for that.

That being said I have a work table that I use for cutting boards and trays next to my kettles. I could see this taking up residence on the table and becoming the weeknight cooker I've been looking for.

As for the comparison between this and the genesis, I really liked the build quality and the fact that it's cast aluminum.

AJ328

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #68 on: May 31, 2015, 08:28:44 AM »
Oh man those redheads at Ace are the only way to go! Well played, sir. Did you also see their exclusive line of red handled Weber tongs, spatulas etc? Gotta go for the complete match now, my friend.

No, I didn't even notice them.  I try to keep my eyes down and blinders up whenever I'm in a place like that.

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #69 on: May 31, 2015, 12:43:30 PM »
Great buy AJ328, if you have any questions about using it regarding heat settings or cooking setups fire away
I'm only 2 or 3 kettles away from being that creepy guy down the street with all the Webers
                            WKC Collaborator
                        Viva La  Charcoal Revolution

BBQ Jack

• WKC Brave
« Reply #70 on: June 01, 2015, 05:32:50 AM »
Regarding the adapter hose, does anyone know of a hose that has protective liner to keep squirrels from chewing the hose?
« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 09:41:08 PM by BBQ Jack »

AJ328

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #71 on: June 01, 2015, 08:45:51 AM »
Great buy AJ328, if you have any questions about using it regarding heat settings or cooking setups fire away

Thanks! I didn't take any pictures but I broker her in with some burgers and chicken breasts for fajitas and was really impressed with how evenly it heats and how quick it gets up to temp. I want to head back to the ACE and get a griddle some time this week.

One question I have for you is, what's your preferred way of cleaning the griddle. I'm a little afraid of using a wire brush as it might scrape the seasoning off (maybe not :-\).

OoPEZoO

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #72 on: June 01, 2015, 09:12:31 AM »
A wire brush will be fine.  I occasionally use crumpled up tin foil and tongs also.  Both work just fine.
-Keith

jeffinsgf

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #73 on: June 01, 2015, 09:58:51 AM »
AJ,

I use the griddle a lot. I clean it the same way I clean the cooking grid. Heat it up.  Brush with a Weber triangle wire brush. Wipe with a wet cotton towel.

The porcelain makes it different than a regular cast iron griddle or skillet. It doesn't "season" in the same way. If you've ever seen or owned a porcelain coated cast iron Dutch Oven, you know what I mean.

BBQ Jack

• WKC Brave
« Reply #74 on: July 05, 2015, 09:18:58 AM »
On the Q 3200 I tried making pizza today.  I used a 15 inch pizza stone and rested the stone on top on my two Weber charcoal baskets.  It fit perfectly.  By raising the stone up a few inches it keeps the bottom from burning and it gets the pizza close enough to the lid so that the top of the pizza cooks properly. Did not get pics but I would recommend this technique it worked great at about 450 degrees for about 12 minutes. You have to check on it at intervals so that you get it off the grill before it burns and to keep the temp from rising. I used the fresh Pizza Buddy dough from Walmart at $.88 a pack.  This was super convenient and the results were perfect.