Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Scored a redhead on CL! looking for advice/tips on restore.  (Read 2866 times)

SixZeroFour

Scored a redhead on CL! looking for advice/tips on restore.
« on: November 29, 2013, 04:23:25 PM »
Hi All,

I came across a pair of kettles on CL the other day, one of which was a "B" stamp redhead! She's in pretty good shape other than a couple marks on the bowl and some issues near the lid handle. I did a deep clean and to my surprise the inside of this kettle is in excellent shape and looks like it only saw minimal use in over thiry years!

Here are some pics:

At this point I have come up with a few questions for the resident restoration pro's... any input would really be appreciated!

1) I plan on replacing the wooden handle with one from this site. I believe it's the 2 rivet style that I will need to order? if someone could confirm that would be great.
2) What is the best way to attack cleaning the bottom vents, mostly the crud stuck between vent and the bottom of the bowl. Do I just keep scrubbing? or is there a trick?
3) For the spots where the porcelain is chipped should it be left alone or can/should it be touched up at all?
4) The main weakness of this kettle is the handle area - its holding on ok but can be bent with minimal force. Is there a way to stiffen it up a bit? can it be spot welded from the underside?
5) Does the 0000 steel wool work on the legs?

Thanks in advance for any comments or responses! I will keep researching the restoration threads in the meantime  :)

Matt

« Last Edit: November 29, 2013, 08:01:56 PM by SixZeroFour »
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

MINIgrillin

• WKC Ranger
Re: Scored a redhead on CL! looking for advice/tips on restore.
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2013, 04:35:56 PM »
Nice find! Looks awesome!
Seville. CnB performer:blue,green,gray. 26r. 18otg. Karubeque C-60.

Bman

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2013, 07:38:28 PM »
Matt --- welcome and nice find on the Red MBH (metal bowl handle)
Expert, I am not, but I'll toss my $.02 out there for ya.  I have a very similar Red MBH a few years older than yours, but in much worse condition.
Clean-up and polishing here - http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/nuthin-fancy-but-by-red-22-mh-clean-up/msg43386/#msg43386

1) Yes, I do believe that is the 2 rivet handle.  Mine is.
2) Are the vents free?  If not, I've found just firing up the grill with charcoal is enough to soften the gunk to free them up.  I haven't had the balls to spray water and work the vents trying to 'wash' the gunk out of a fully hot grill, but it might work fine.  Otherwise, WD-40 and a degreaser to soften the gunk followed by additional washing has worked pretty well.
3) I'm part of the non-paint-touch-up crowd.  Clean the missing porcelain spots and keep em' oiled to slow the rusting process.
4) Best to just be easy with the ol' gal.  My Red SS Performer had the handle broke clean off and it was bolted back on.  Meh...
5) If you can use various grits of sandpaper (150, 220, 320) followed by 0000 steel wool, you'll be more than happy with the results.  See above thread for example.  :D

Keep the photos & restorations coming!

I've always had gas...  And now a bunch of kettles because of this place.  Thanks!

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2013, 06:50:20 AM »
That is a beautiful red MBH!  She cleaned up real nice.  :)

All excellent advice from Bman.  Can't go wrong with Brian's handles, either.
I have ordered 2 sets already for two redhead restores. They are works of art. Well worth it, IMHO.

My last red restore had a similar issue as your lid handle. I'm just going to live with it.
I have done some paint touch up, but, not on the lid, as that is the most visible part.
I only did it on the bowl of the red 18 I restored.

I just recently seasoned my red 22 restore, and like Bman said, use some oil on the scars and blemishes.
This will help prevent any rusting. It forms a nice barrier after the seasoning process.

With you being on the west coast, and in the middle of your 10 month rainy season, you might want to keep it covered.  ;) ;)

Here are a few of my red restore links for reference.

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/need-help-advice-guidance-with-this-red-18/

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/another-red-rescue-thanks-duke!/
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

Dave O

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2013, 07:14:14 AM »
Use Mothers Mag and aluminum polish on the legs and vents and they will shine up nice

SixZeroFour

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2013, 03:30:03 PM »
I appreciate all the tips guys - and nice work on the restores Mac!

After getting the bowl all nice and clean I decided to touch up the battle scars as there were plenty. After multiple tests I got a pretty darn close match mixing two different high-temp reds. To the naked eye it's even harder to notice the difference than in the picture.

Going after the gunk...

All clean but lot's of war wounds

Looking better already!

Next I'm going after the legs and triangle rack... back to work!
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

saxart

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2013, 03:36:14 PM »
Wow, great job so far.  Keep the updates coming..
Interested in ANY offset handle SJs you may have.

kendoll

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2013, 03:47:09 PM »
Mate, that is looking fantastic. Nice work!

Ken
Willing to trade first born for: *Ranger (any colour) *Westerner (yeah right)

*Imperial (Glen-Blue) *Brown GA

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2013, 04:56:45 PM »
Looking awesome!!!

teerhardy

• WKC Brave
    • My Blog
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2013, 05:06:13 PM »
paging mike.stavlund....

paging dr. stavlund....
Grey 22.5" OTS H
Copper 22.5" OTG... that's right I turned copper into gold.
Black 22.5" SS Performer