Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Jumbo Joe tips  (Read 5227 times)

Firemunkee

• WKC Ranger
Re: Jumbo Joe tips
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2018, 02:26:02 AM »
Together we'll fight the long defeat.

TXFlyGuy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2018, 05:44:17 AM »
Just my opinion... but the 22" joe shouldn't be called a Weber.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Is it not made by Weber?
2021 Bluebonnet Brewoff Winner
1st Place Gold Medal - Munich Helles
1st Place Gold Medal - Oktoberfest

dbhost

• WKC Brave
    • Daves Workshop Youtube page.
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2018, 09:38:57 AM »
Just my opinion... but the 22" joe shouldn't be called a Weber.

Why the hate for the Jumbo Joe Premium? I love mine...
3 Kettles. 1998 Daisy Wheel 22.5, 2010 Smokey Joe Silver 14, 2018 Jumbo Joe Premium 22.5.

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2018, 11:02:18 AM »
I'm just not a fan of the WalMart Joe. I would rather by a used 22 off craigslist, restore it and save a few bucks.

I am ok with the original Jumbo Joe platinum aka the Outrider or the newer 18 Jumbo Joe.

« Last Edit: August 31, 2018, 11:04:11 AM by Kneab »
ISO Brown Go Anywhere

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Jumbo Joe tips
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2018, 11:17:12 AM »
Comment withdrawn. I will reserve judgement of the JJP. Does anyone know if it’s made overseas or here?
« Last Edit: August 31, 2018, 11:32:47 AM by HoosierKettle »

dbhost

• WKC Brave
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2018, 02:07:37 PM »
I'm just not a fan of the WalMart Joe. I would rather by a used 22 off craigslist, restore it and save a few bucks.

I am ok with the original Jumbo Joe platinum aka the Outrider or the newer 18 Jumbo Joe.

Well speaking of someone who owns both a Craigslist find what it would appear you would consider a normal Weber 22 inch kettle and a Jumbo Joe premium I can honestly say but I have no issues with a Jumbo Joe but I can't say as much with the classic kettle. The tripod base legs are much more solid on the Jumbo Joe premium although I'm sure age and maintenance has a lot to do with my classic kennels wobbly stance and I still have to go and take it down and fix it. For what it's worth used 22 inch kennels sell for just about $10 less then the going price of a brand new Jumbo Joe premium. Considering the distance I had to drive to get my used kettle I spent far more than that in gas. But there were some additional add-ins that I felt made the trip worth it including the very hard to find condiment rack.

Long story short Weber felt strongly enough about their production of a thing to put their name on the Jumbo Joe premium.
3 Kettles. 1998 Daisy Wheel 22.5, 2010 Smokey Joe Silver 14, 2018 Jumbo Joe Premium 22.5.

Filibuster

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2018, 03:33:20 PM »
1) Target copper kettle, an economy model. Everybody wants one in their collection.
2) William Sonoma green outrider. Everybody wants one in their collection.
3) C&B red outrider. Everybody wants one in their collection.
4) Any of the three C&B performers. Everybody wants one in their collection.
This JJP is a store specific model just like the ones I mentioned above, but it bespeaks an uber cheapness that for the collector in us don't want. Even when that sky blue 18" JJP popped up on CL in DC I didn't want it, I looked at it three times and closed the door. Sure it will cook a burger just as well anything weber put out, but for a collector it has NOTHING GOING FOR IT.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Radio station WEFUNK 50,000 kilowatts of PFUNK power.

cigarman20

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2018, 04:01:47 PM »
Yes, @jammato had it down. Every grill type has a sweet spot. That's why most of us own more than one. How many clubs are allowed in a PGA champions bag! There lies the answer.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
Grails- ‘63 Fleetwood, Ambassador

dbhost

• WKC Brave
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2018, 07:20:00 PM »
1) Target copper kettle, an economy model. Everybody wants one in their collection.
2) William Sonoma green outrider. Everybody wants one in their collection.
3) C&B red outrider. Everybody wants one in their collection.
4) Any of the three C&B performers. Everybody wants one in their collection.
This JJP is a store specific model just like the ones I mentioned above, but it bespeaks an uber cheapness that for the collector in us don't want. Even when that sky blue 18" JJP popped up on CL in DC I didn't want it, I looked at it three times and closed the door. Sure it will cook a burger just as well anything weber put out, but for a collector it has NOTHING GOING FOR IT.

Well I certainly see the issue now and to be honest with you I don't understand it. For me and at least everyone I know personally owning a Weber grill is about barbecue not about a collector's piece. But people will collect just about anything so I guess it makes sense.

it is without a doubt that the Jumbo Joe premium has zero interest from The Collector crowd. In current budget model. Maybe in 20 years there might be some interest in them but for now none and I get that. But I think it's a little silly to discourage those that are interested in their Weber kettles as good cookers to discourage someone from an excellent entry level 22 in Grill if that's what they want. I would certainly rather see somebody pick up a Jumbo Joe premium then one of those flimsy expert Grill 22 inch Kettle style grills if they even still offer them. The Jumbo Joe premium is every bit as sturdy is a standard cattle it's just a little shallower in the bowl and only has one Daisy wheel down there. For me I'm not worried about collecting I just wanted a good cooker.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2018, 08:04:02 PM by dbhost »

Filibuster

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2018, 01:04:44 AM »
   T( accessories and conquer my fear of CI. That's the fun of collecting and this forum is not about discouraging someone from using their grill.

Radio station WEFUNK 50,000 kilowatts of PFUNK power.

TXFlyGuy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2018, 06:27:09 AM »
I'm a serious cook, not a collector. My 3 Weber's all do just fine, even though one might be a Happy Hooker Cooker...not sure? The JJ is a perfect size for two. It will be used a lot!

Grilling on the kettle is it's forte. For serious smoking, my Texas Offset Smoker (made from oil well pipe) is employed.

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2018, 06:42:54 AM »
I apologize to anyone that I may have upset, My comment was not meant to discourage anyone, other than Weber. As I stated I am not a fan of that particular grill, or bolt on handles, tacos, or anything from China. Some people are. Cook on what you want, and collect what you want. But I could see having a taco on one grill. The one I vortex on.

« Last Edit: September 01, 2018, 06:44:43 AM by Kneab »
ISO Brown Go Anywhere

vwengguy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2018, 07:13:06 AM »

Calling @vwengguy - JJ is your world

@vwengguy

And some people will wonder why I did not jump in on this thread earlier ... the OP asked for tips for his JJ and not a bashing thread about something he does not even have :-(

If the OP still needs tips.. I’ll do what I can to help.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

jmahc

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2018, 08:43:45 AM »
@vwengguy yeah, this got a bit off-topic. I still would appreciate tips if you have any!

TXFlyGuy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2018, 10:57:26 AM »
I think the best tips are way back on page one.