Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Jumbo Joe tips  (Read 5226 times)

jmahc

• Smokey Joe
Jumbo Joe tips
« on: August 29, 2018, 10:41:35 AM »
Just looking for general tips on cooking with it. So far, I purchased a rotisserie, a mini vortex, and the Adrenaline charcoal basket, and am planning on building a little tabletop "shed" for it like I have for my smoker to allow me to cook on it in less than ideal weather.

An example of what advice I'm looking for would be how long to wait to before putting meat on the grill after the grill's reached a desired temp, where to install a temperature gauge (on the side, top, or "shoulder" of the lid), and so on.

I tried grilling some burgers last weekend, and while they were tasty, they had a bright pink color to them, almost like an exterior "smoke ring". That was unfortunately off-putting to my wife, so she didn't enjoy them too much. I started off by cooking indirect, and moved the burgers directly over the coals after about 10 minutes.

I'm looking forward to all kinds of great cooks in the future - next on my list of purchases are a few cast iron skillets/dutch ovens, some GrillGrates and/or a SS grate from killa, and a rotisserie basket. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!

dbhost

• WKC Brave
    • Daves Workshop Youtube page.
Re: Jumbo Joe tips
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2018, 02:01:11 PM »
Let's start off with saying I'm no expert in the matter but I do have some experience so take this advice and apply the value you wish to it.

As far as thermostat placement goes if you are wanting to do a through lid mount of a analog thermostat I would go in the shoulder between the vent and the Edge. That seems to work best for me. I've done this on my old 3-wheeler my Jumbo Joe premium and my Smokey Joe

The pink red outer band is effectively a smoke ring yes you did give yourself a smoke ring buy cooking indirect at first. Somebody much smarter than me can tell you exactly why it happens but if you're going to cook burgers indirect that's the result you're going to get. If you find that off-putting just throttle the grill back a little bit and go Direct over the coals.
3 Kettles. 1998 Daisy Wheel 22.5, 2010 Smokey Joe Silver 14, 2018 Jumbo Joe Premium 22.5.

Old Dave

• WKC Brave
    • Old Dave's Po-Farm
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2018, 09:56:07 PM »
I have done extensive work with the Weber Jumbo Joe and find it one great cooker.

You can find my review with all the modifications, tips, tricks, at my website.  http://olddavespo-farm.blogspot.com/2015/04/weber-jumbo-joe-history-options.html

I also have several articles on cooks I have done on the cooker and they start here at my site.  http://olddavespo-farm.blogspot.com/2016/05/hot-wings-on-weber-jumbo-joe-kettle.html

I think there are 14 of these cooks or articles at this address.

I think there will be a few things that you can probably use for your cooks with this fine little cooker.

Let me know what you think of the information on the site.

qrczak1

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2018, 10:27:02 PM »
Calling @vwengguy - JJ is your world

Jammato

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2018, 01:16:40 AM »
I will give my best advice.
learn your grill, try to cook all types of things in it, do not be intimidated by its size.
here is why
I own smokey joes, 18 inch kettles, 22 inch kettles and finally a 26
want to know something, each is best at something and also good at others if you just learn what its characteristics are.
A 18 inch kettle is one of the best grilling sizes out there, doing slow cooks will be a bit of a challenge because of real estate, but grilling is a breeze and does not require to much charcoal.

remember we all live in different climates so a lot of stuff you will read can be local knowledge, the best you can do is go out and cook. take notes, and learn your kettle
If we were meant to grill with gas then the garden of Eden would have had a pipeline

jmahc

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2018, 06:13:00 AM »
Thank you all for the advice!

YardBurner

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2018, 07:36:26 AM »
Are we talking about the tall 22" Jumbo Joe sold at Walmart?
Or the 18" big brother of the 14" Smokey Joe.
Sounds like the 22" if you purchased a rotisserie.

Filibuster

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2018, 08:03:15 AM »
Jumbo joe means 18", jumbo joe premium means 22". I'm willing to bet jmahc is referring to the 18". The rotisserie  is more than likely the Cajun Bandit.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Radio station WEFUNK 50,000 kilowatts of PFUNK power.

jmahc

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2018, 08:47:39 AM »
Sorry for not being clear. Yes, as Filibuster says, it was the 18" one, and I decided to go with the cheaper (albeit apparently of lower quality) SS rotisserie on Amazon.

YardBurner

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2018, 08:48:40 AM »
Fair enough.
Now I can follow along much easier.
Thx.

dbhost

• WKC Brave
    • Daves Workshop Youtube page.
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2018, 01:11:46 PM »
I will give my best advice.
learn your grill, try to cook all types of things in it, do not be intimidated by its size.
here is why
I own smokey joes, 18 inch kettles, 22 inch kettles and finally a 26
want to know something, each is best at something and also good at others if you just learn what its characteristics are.
A 18 inch kettle is one of the best grilling sizes out there, doing slow cooks will be a bit of a challenge because of real estate, but grilling is a breeze and does not require to much charcoal.

remember we all live in different climates so a lot of stuff you will read can be local knowledge, the best you can do is go out and cook. take notes, and learn your kettle

That's probably some of the best advice I've heard so far in this form is get to know your cooker in your climate. A lot of the settings and techniques that I have to use here in the overwhelming heat and humidity of a Texas summer don't work very well in the middle of winter here and certainly wouldn't pan out well at all for somebody living in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan for example. Everyone's got different challenges that they need to face when grilling and barbecuing and half the fun is figure out which is which
3 Kettles. 1998 Daisy Wheel 22.5, 2010 Smokey Joe Silver 14, 2018 Jumbo Joe Premium 22.5.

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2018, 02:13:10 PM »
Jumbo joe means 18", jumbo joe premium means 22". I'm willing to bet jmahc is referring to the 18". The rotisserie  is more than likely the Cajun Bandit.

One problem with that is that not everyone knows to use every single word in the name, nor do they necessarily remember all of them.    OP wouldn't be the first one here to talk about a Jumbo Joe, referring to the 22 one sold at Walmart.

TXFlyGuy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2018, 05:26:41 PM »
Just picked up a Jumbo Joe at Lowe's for $29! It is my 3rd kettle, owning two other Weber’s at 22".
Perfect size for me and my wife.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 06:03:10 PM by TXFlyGuy »
2021 Bluebonnet Brewoff Winner
1st Place Gold Medal - Munich Helles
1st Place Gold Medal - Oktoberfest

Filibuster

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2018, 05:56:22 PM »
   Yeah I'm just playing the odds knowing that the 22" jumbo joe is the least interesting of the three/four jumbo joes.

Radio station WEFUNK 50,000 kilowatts of PFUNK power.

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2018, 06:13:59 PM »
« Last Edit: September 01, 2018, 07:14:55 AM by Kneab »
ISO Brown Go Anywhere