Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: High Heat Ribs!  (Read 2556 times)

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
High Heat Ribs!
« on: April 24, 2016, 04:44:46 PM »
So most are into low and slow, The 3 method of choice. I was in a predicament about two years ago and did this, because I had to. Have done it multiple times since, have had others taste test, it just works. I have lurked the inter-web and many others do it to.

Tonight it was the trusty EZ MT, just dials in for me. No gadgets or probing. Just the Handle therm and the look.

Ready.

Flip at first half hour.(One half of a rack, no rub, bride prefers naked :) Well me too... ;)

At one hour, just the pull back I look for.

Now the foil for the crutch for an hour.

The finish, I unwrap and quick flash over the hot coals. Then back in the foil till the rest of the meal is set.

The Raspberry Walnut salad was perfect for a side.

Thanks for looking!

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
Re: High Heat Ribs!
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2016, 05:53:51 PM »
I'll try that!
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2016, 07:20:31 PM »
So, 3 hrs? About how many coals did you add throughout to maintain that temp?
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2016, 04:13:58 AM »
The last picture had me.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2016, 05:16:02 AM »
@addicted-to-smoke  It is a two hour cook. I had a 3/4 chimney that I dumped over some existing coals from a previous cook. When the Ribs were added, I did have to crack the lid, for a little more air flow to get to temp. It stayed locked in at 400 for the duration of the cook, no coals added.

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2016, 05:22:39 AM »
turn 'n burn! Nice cook!
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

Jon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2016, 05:55:34 AM »
That is outstanding for a two hour cook. I've never tried ribs with that short a cook.

Saugust

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2016, 06:04:32 AM »
I will most certainly have to try this method. Any liquid added when you foiled?
Growing family = growing kettles!

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2016, 06:11:25 AM »
I will most certainly have to try this method. Any liquid added when you foiled?

@Saugust , Yes. Yesterday was just apple juice, with an added dusting of rub to the top of the ribs.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2016, 06:35:43 AM »
Never tried high heat ribs and I and I agree about that salad. Yum.

So do you think these are as tender as the lower temp cooks? Any Pro vs con thoughts?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2016, 06:51:15 AM »
Never tried high heat ribs and I and I agree about that salad. Yum.

So do you think these are as tender as the lower temp cooks? Any Pro vs con thoughts?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

@Travis , I only have pros to say about this method. These are tender bite of the bone ribs. It ends up having the perfect pull and texture, what they look for at comps.
The cons, well lets just say I sold my WSM.

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2016, 11:16:06 AM »
Yes !!  I will be trying out this method, for sure …. Maybe, sans foil …  ;)  Plate-up looks delicious.
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

JDD

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2016, 12:46:24 PM »
I've been wanting to try this and thanks to you I will.
May The Smoke Be With You!

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2016, 07:04:56 PM »
I've been wanting to try this and thanks to you I will.

@JDD . go for it! You won't be disappointed. If your first don't succeed, don't give up. I won't go back to five or six hour cooks. It goes against the grain I know, but again it works. The smoke ring it not much different than a long cook.
Smoke was just in the first hour of a two hour cook.