Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Red Mist SSP trying to get an R or two done  (Read 2369 times)

Walchit

• WKC Performer
Red Mist SSP trying to get an R or two done
« on: July 25, 2019, 05:52:19 AM »
So a week or two ago I missed this super clean blue ssp for 150. I was the first to hit them up, they said they would take 100, but then they were really slow to respond, then asked if I could pay full price cause they had a lot of interest, I said sure, when do you wanna meet, they after waiting all day after they marked it sold, they told me they sold it to someone else, sorry. I was super upset 😡

But then this dirty old girl popped up at an estate sale in KC. I forgot about it the first day, but hit the guy up and said if he would take 40 I would be there at 9 am. There was also a Rotti in one of the pics.

I showed up and went to look at it. There was a couple commenting about it having a gas tank on it, so I just went back in and tried to pay first lol.

The guy came out and told me to check it out, I told him I was pretty sure the ring went with it, then I saw a second Rotti ring. He tossed those in as they didnt look like they would work on the vision grill they had there. Then he found me a couple pair of the skewers, and one motor. But we couldnt find either of the spots anywhere. I probably should have dug around more, because you would think that they were there somewhere.

Also got an extra grate when I was looking got the charcoal baskets! The charcoal grate is shot, but I have a brand new one already.

I started tearing it apart today, its missing the radius cut stainless panel, but I've already harrased another member who I felt was the performer expert here, and I belive I have secured one! And some other parts!

I grabbed a gen 2 blue sight unseen for 30, I was hoping to get there and find it with a good kettle, but it is one of the most rusty things I've ever seen. But came from a grillfella with some old wsms, and my birth year kettle, and a ww that I swore looked kinda green lol. He said he was a member here, but not very active. I need to hunt down his screen name.
Good news was I think I can use the burner tube, and maybe the lid bale.

Here are a couple bad pics. I only hit the porcelain with the grinder once. My back yard is a mess right now.

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Red Mist SSP trying to get an R or two done
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2019, 06:49:25 AM »
Cool story, can't wait for all the r's to be done,you nailed the rescue and respect !!!
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

Walchit

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2019, 07:44:41 AM »
I won't say I'm respecting it until I clean the garage up and make room for it. Its got that really caked on gunk that's a pain to scrape out, I am ready to get the dust off, so I can see the mist part of the lid.

Walchit

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2019, 11:06:17 AM »
Decided it needed to come off the frame to get cleaned properly. Gonna replace the hardware with stainless.

How does the flip up table come off? I might as well touch up these couple rust spots on the frame.

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2019, 11:31:56 AM »
That is coming along nicely!

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2019, 11:36:24 AM »
Pull the rod away from the panel to release the tension. Grab one end of the rod and pull it out of the frame. Should take you no more than 10 seconds.

Walchit

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2019, 02:36:22 PM »
Nice! Thanks for the info, didnt want to break it if there was something I wasnt seeing.

@Mike in Roseville this thing is so dirty! It has a ring of carbon baked on the outside of the lip on the lid, and its about impossible to scrape off. I think it might be because there is some crazing around there. The bowl has a lot of crazing too, but otherwise its in really good shape.

Oh and if these are stainless, they really took a beating. This is the bowl from the gen 2 I grabbed.

« Last Edit: July 28, 2019, 02:39:34 PM by Walchit »

Walchit

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2019, 03:40:23 AM »
Any advise on a few small spots of rust on the frame? Can you use that evaporust stuff on a q-tip or something? Then should I spray paint the whole frame or just touch up the rust spots?

Filibuster

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2019, 06:02:22 AM »
Naval jelly for the small spots

Sent from my SM-J700P using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Radio station WEFUNK 50,000 kilowatts of PFUNK power.

Walchit

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2019, 09:23:23 AM »
Nice thats what I happened to grab at Wal-Mart.

Walchit

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2019, 05:54:57 AM »
Broke a bolt off in one of the bottom crossbars, cause it was turned a little. Now I gotta figure out how to drill it out or something. Was hoping to get this frame painted today
« Last Edit: July 31, 2019, 06:28:28 AM by Walchit »

Walchit

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2019, 06:27:52 AM »
Can you buy these Maltese cross pieces?

Walchit

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2019, 03:11:16 PM »
After some research on the site I found out that a bike shop sells these things called star nuts, they were 4 bucks a piece. They are the 1-1/8" size. The 1" ones were too small.

I squared them up a little with the grinder because I had read that someone had put a bulge in their pipe with one. They went in pretty easy, and I just tapped from the side to straighten it out as it went in. Gonna try to do something about this rust and get it painted and put back together.

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2019, 03:12:19 AM »
coming along nicely
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

Walchit

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2019, 05:50:19 PM »
Thanks! I can't wait to get it done. I'm not gonna want to cook on it afterwards! Might put it in the living room lol