Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Red Mist SSP trying to get an R or two done  (Read 2358 times)

Walchit

• WKC Performer
Re: Red Mist SSP trying to get an R or two done
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2019, 03:25:16 AM »
Sandblasting didn't go as well as I had it planned out in my head. My buddy had a harbor freight sand blaster, and it didn't really eat through the paint like I thought it would. Plus he didnt have much light. I did get the welds and other rusty spots cleaned up, but it looks like I missed a little rust on this one cross piece. Guess I'm about to break out the sand paper this morning and try to get it finished up.

Walchit

• WKC Performer
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2019, 05:30:47 AM »
Idk who's belly button they get this stuff from, but it better work this time. I missed a ton of rust last night

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2019, 06:15:07 AM »
I think pink would be a fabulous new color for that SSP frame.  Call it the barbie edition like that one crazy scammer on facebook and e-bay lol.

All jokes aside, it is looking good man.
ISO: 18" & 22" Lime, 22" Cado, Plum SSP, Clean & Colored 18" for Midget Mod, and the usual Grails.

Walchit

• WKC Performer
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2019, 08:35:38 AM »
A pink frame with a black kettle would look good. I have a can of pink spray paint from my daughters softball helmet. So I had already thought about it lol.

Bought a sand blaster for 12.50 at an estate sale. So my next project will probably get a better blasting.

They had a couple pk grills, the wheels were rusted off of one, its 20. And a decent red one for 37.50
Should I go get them? To resell? Seems pretty expensive already
« Last Edit: August 04, 2019, 08:41:36 AM by Walchit »

Walchit

• WKC Performer
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2019, 03:39:26 PM »
So I think I got the majority of the rust off, but I'm tired of sanding. Started putting paint on. Maybe I will re-do it if I figure out the sand blaster. It definitely needs to go to bare metal and get powder coated or something.

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2019, 04:25:52 PM »
The coatings are much tougher on the gen1/gen2  than gen3/gen4. That's just too much work sanding the powder coat to get to bare metal.

And yeah sorry for the long delay but i finally got  the panel boxed up. Should be out tomorrow.

Walchit

• WKC Performer
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2019, 05:39:36 PM »
Definately no need to apologize! I really appreciate it. The high heat paint said it was not recommended to use a primer, so the finish ended up pretty rough. But I think I got most if not all of the rust, there were some spots with a little pitting.

Walchit

• WKC Performer
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2019, 09:35:31 AM »
Dropped of the tank yesterday, picked it up full and recertified today for 13 and some change. They even slapped this fancy sticker on it!. I kinda want to paint it, I might just try to sew up one of those cover things for it though.

I took steel wool to the vent for hours yesterday, ended up using the corner of a razor to scape around the letters, still didn't get it all off, but it looks decent.

Forgot to take the hardware for the gas assist and lid bale to get stainless, have to make another trip to ace.

Painted my white walls, now they are bulged out. And I did the peanut butter polish on some wheels I got from @Mike in Roseville. Thanks brethren!

Oh and I robbed the casters off of my genesis platinum, one was brand new from ace.

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2019, 09:39:59 AM »
Looking good, I have a spare room and 3 or 4 ssp's come on down to Doraville
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

Jtayres

• WKC Brave
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2019, 09:43:13 AM »
Coming together nicely!
Kettles: 2015 Performer Deluxe (Green), 2001 One Touch Platinum, 1999 Performer gas assist, 1991 Smokey Joe Gold (Green) Gasser: Genesis Silver B

Walchit

• WKC Performer
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2019, 09:54:00 AM »
Not as nice as I was shooting for, but I will have no problem cooking on it now. I might wait till next year though, and bring it in the living room for the winter lol

Walchit

• WKC Performer
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2019, 09:57:14 AM »
 Oh and here are pics of the plastic that the squirrel had chewed on. The frame even had some of the powder coat missing where they chewed on that end cap lol

Jtayres

• WKC Brave
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2019, 02:31:22 AM »
I hate squirrels. We have so many because my neighbor likes to feed them. Luckily they haven’t chewed my grills like that! But the fence post are all chewed up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kettles: 2015 Performer Deluxe (Green), 2001 One Touch Platinum, 1999 Performer gas assist, 1991 Smokey Joe Gold (Green) Gasser: Genesis Silver B

Walchit

• WKC Performer
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2019, 09:51:58 AM »
We have a ton here, but plenty of pecans and walnuts for them to chew on I guess.

Walchit

• WKC Performer
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2019, 08:09:39 PM »
Got some more parts today! Bought wooden spools from Michael's, aluminum and stainless steel washer, and @Jules V. sent the panel I was afraid I wouldnt be able to find too! Will post some pics tomorrow. Gonna get some pics on the WSM thread too, so if your into that type of thing check it out tomorrow lol. I will give you a hint, Goldilocks...