Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Hot and fast ribs again  (Read 12697 times)

mwm1978

• Smokey Joe
Re: Hot and fast ribs again
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2016, 12:45:22 AM »
What if you need to add coals during the cook how would you do that?

JDD

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2016, 06:58:29 AM »
That's taking the fun out of grilling. I like the low and slow process so that I can kill a 12 pack, it keeps my neighbors face pressed against their window pane for most of the day...gives me an excuse to avoid the honey-do list and it wears you out so that it gives you a good night sleep! Many benefits! lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I totally agree with you on this, although it is nice to know we can cook great ribs when time is of the essence. There have been a few times when I've had a taste for ribs and had to pass due to time constraints. Not anymore!
« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 07:32:13 AM by JDD »
May The Smoke Be With You!

Bustin Butt

• WKC Brave
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2016, 07:01:52 AM »
That's taking the fun out of grilling. I like the low and slow process so that I can kill a 12 pack, it keeps my neighbors face pressed against their window pane for most of the day...gives me an excuse to avoid the honey-do list and it wears you out so that it gives you a good night sleep! Many benefits! lol

I totally agree with you on this, although it is nice you know we can cook great ribs when time is of the essence. There have been a few times when I've had a taste for ribs and had to pass due to time constraints. Not anymore!
Very true! Having options are good!

If it ain't smoked don't eat it!

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2016, 08:00:26 AM »
The low and slow is fun and a good reason to drink beers, so I don't think I would do all rib cooks hot and fast.....but....I love using pulled pork for tacos and ribs cooked until they fall apart are just as good if not better than a pork should or butt once you pull the bones out and pull it.  Fast ribs in my mind gives me an option of turning a quick and easy ground turkey tacos night into a pulled pork tacos night.  Sure the ribs will still take an hour and a half where turkey tacos can be made in 15 minutes, but being able to create a quick batch of ribs for eating off of the bone or for pulling opens lots of fun options!
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

bigmikey

• WKC Brave
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2016, 08:12:15 AM »
Hot and fast....low and slow...it doesn't affect the beer drinking...the beers keep flowing long after the grill is cool. For me, hot and fast is for weeknight ribs, and low and slow is for weekends.I get about the same result in the end

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2016, 08:23:12 AM »
What about medium-n-moderation?   LOL.  Nope, that doesn't sound good at all!  Actually I think my girlfriend would be a little more receptive to weekend beers if I was able to calm her hangriness faster!
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

Davescprktl

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2016, 07:43:53 PM »

You nailed it on the head!  It's my time to de-stress,  disconnect and play.  Nothing wrong with that!
OKP Crimson, 22" H Code Brownie, SJS Lime, 22" CB Stacker, Red Q2200, Performer Deluxe CB slate blue

"If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?"  H. Simpson

Fishawn

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2016, 06:58:50 PM »
What if you need to add coals during the cook how would you do that?

Awesome ribs Mikey!

I won't reply for Mikey on this, and have not yet cooked ribs like this with a Vortex, but from my experience using a Vortex cooking wings, I can easily get a full round of wings done with a full chimney, and probably a 2nd round, or close to it, without adding any more briqs/lump, etc. Always had a couple cookers going, so have not tested yet.

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2016, 04:11:55 PM »
I have a vortex, a kettle, and ribs, this will soon be tried.
Great looking ribs

bigmikey

• WKC Brave
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2016, 05:38:16 PM »
If I really needed to add coals, I would light them in the chimney and pull out the center insert to dump in the vortex. That said, I've never had to add coals for any cook 2 hours or less. If I want a long cook, I'll set up a snake around the vortex

DarrenC

• WKC Brave
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2016, 11:51:09 AM »
While this post certainly intrigues me, I just can't imagine risking a rack of ribs to test it myself.

I'm certain they were tender and tasty, but I'm admittedly dubious about one not being able to tell the difference.  My (very!) limited grasp of food science indicates that since you mention no stall, you're not actually breaking the collagen down into gelatin but instead just 'boiling' it out.  Then there's the issue of sugars in the rub...

In any case, the proof is in the product and you're happy with them.  The important thing is to get out and cook.  Well Done!

"There are a great many things one can learn to do without actually doing them - Grilling is not one of them" - Alton Brown

DarrenC

• WKC Brave
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2016, 11:54:34 AM »
I was always smoking BB's indirect @275* and they were done in 3.5-4 hours. No foil.

When I started cooking them DIRECT over a Hunsaker Smokers Vortex Firebasket in a Drum or 22" WSM @275-300* they started popping at 1.45-2 hours!

So, just to make things clear, here is a Pork Board Cooking Time & Temp Chart:

http://www.porkbeinspired.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/2924.pdf

And here is a little Rib cook blog entry from Thermoworks and Meathead.

http://blog2.thermoworks.com/2015/06/ribs/

Monitor you pit/grate temps!

@swamprb I can't tell from this post, but @glrasmussen seems to indicate you're using this hot & fast method for competition cooking?  Is that indeed the case?  I'd love to hear more about this for sure...
"There are a great many things one can learn to do without actually doing them - Grilling is not one of them" - Alton Brown

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2016, 08:03:30 PM »
I was always smoking BB's indirect @275* and they were done in 3.5-4 hours. No foil.

When I started cooking them DIRECT over a Hunsaker Smokers Vortex Firebasket in a Drum or 22" WSM @275-300* they started popping at 1.45-2 hours!

So, just to make things clear, here is a Pork Board Cooking Time & Temp Chart:

http://www.porkbeinspired.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/2924.pdf

And here is a little Rib cook blog entry from Thermoworks and Meathead.

http://blog2.thermoworks.com/2015/06/ribs/

Monitor you pit/grate temps!

@swamprb I can't tell from this post, but @glrasmussen seems to indicate you're using this hot & fast method for competition cooking?  Is that indeed the case?  I'd love to hear more about this for sure...

start a new thread -
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

bigmikey

• WKC Brave
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2016, 06:45:59 AM »
While this post certainly intrigues me, I just can't imagine risking a rack of ribs to test it myself.

I'm certain they were tender and tasty, but I'm admittedly dubious about one not being able to tell the difference.  My (very!) limited grasp of food science indicates that since you mention no stall, you're not actually breaking the collagen down into gelatin but instead just 'boiling' it out.  Then there's the issue of sugars in the rub...

In any case, the proof is in the product and you're happy with them.  The important thing is to get out and cook.  Well Done!

A rack of ribs around here is $8-10 so I have no problem testing different methods.  I don't ever temp my ribs so who knows if they stall. I've cooked brisket and pork butts this same way with little to no stall and they turn out great too. It's a great way to do them when your short on time.  I've done a 17 lb packer brisket in 6 hours and it was amazing. And yes it's best to use sugar free rubs and wrap when you like your color.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 06:47:53 AM by bigmikey »

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2016, 01:59:11 PM »
Then there's the issue of sugars in the rub...

And yes it's best to use sugar free rubs and wrap when you like your color.

You only really need salt & pepper to get it done …. YMMV.  :D
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.