Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Hot and fast ribs again  (Read 12676 times)

DarrenC

• WKC Brave
Re: Hot and fast ribs again
« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2016, 06:50:49 AM »
This one has really been scratching at my mind the last couple of days - I guess the only resolution is going to be to try it myself, although I'm apprehensive about what I'm going to find out.

I originally got into this hobby/sport/obsession specifically because it was hard, because it took patience, and frankly because it just wasn't something everybody did well.  If it turns out I've been deluding myself and perpetuating a myth that it's way harder and more time consuming than it actually needs to be I've got to say that kind of puts a tarnish on the whole experience for me.  I admit I'm taking this ridiculously personally, however for me BBQ has become such a big part of how I identify myself I can't help but be personal about it.
"There are a great many things one can learn to do without actually doing them - Grilling is not one of them" - Alton Brown

OGlenn

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2016, 10:29:59 AM »
I'm with you DarrenC, this hot and fast is a paradigm shift for me as well.  I get a kick out of folks enjoying food it has taken me hours to cook, but if I can get the same results in a shorter period, why not give it a shot?
Uncommon sense seeker

bigmikey

• WKC Brave
« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2016, 11:12:49 AM »
Believe me fellas I still cook low and slow a lot. Hot and fast is a great substitute when you want to eat ribs in less than 2 hours, or brisket and pork butt in 6 hours. When I have the time it's low and slow

iCARRY

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2016, 12:19:07 PM »
Believe me fellas I still cook low and slow a lot. Hot and fast is a great substitute when you want to eat ribs in less than 2 hours, or brisket and pork butt in 6 hours. When I have the time it's low and slow

This right here says it all. Sometimes you just want ribs and you don't have 6 hours on your side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheDude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2016, 12:48:12 PM »
About how hot are we talking. I'm gonna give it a go.
Still need a 22” yellow

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #35 on: September 02, 2016, 12:57:18 PM »

This right here says it all. Sometimes you just want ribs and you don't have 6 hours on your side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Even if time was not a factor, I prefer the taste and texture of the hot and fast ribs.  Usually around 350f to 400f for 1.5 hrs is all is required. No wrapping required.  I have been experimenting with this for a while now and last week, I think I got most perfect and juicy ribs done in less than 1.5hrs.  There are quite of few things I have done diff. than last few other times.

I believe good ribs can be done in less than 1hr.  About 45min, with ribs cut up and grilled in hot charcoal around 450f with some indirect without burning it will work too.  This I have not tried yet.

Check out this guy who saids  Fast and Easy BBQ Ribs in 15min.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rp9ygcsRh0Q

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2016, 06:02:30 AM »
Hey @bigmikey what was in the rub?

Teaspoon

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #37 on: September 04, 2016, 12:20:26 PM »
Second weekend in a row tried this Hot & Fast ribs with my Vortex, 1:45 minutes and they are bite off the bone tender.

Bustin Butt

• WKC Brave
Hot and fast ribs again
« Reply #38 on: September 04, 2016, 12:56:56 PM »
I've been cooking ribs for over 30 years now. I've only cooked ribs low and slow because I want that thick smoke ring flavor entrenched in the meat of my ribs and the only way that can be accomplished is by low and slow. I'm not disputing that you can cook ribs hot fast, but it's all about the flavor in my opinion.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: September 04, 2016, 01:04:45 PM by Bustin Butt »
If it ain't smoked don't eat it!

bigmikey

• WKC Brave
« Reply #39 on: September 04, 2016, 01:57:43 PM »
Nice ribs, I cook low and slow too....and I prefer them that way, but like I said when craving ribs on a Monday after work I have no problem going hot and fast while still producing a great ribs. And in my opinion,  smoke ring has nothing to do with the flavor

These are yesterday's at 225

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Bustin Butt

• WKC Brave
Hot and fast ribs again
« Reply #40 on: September 04, 2016, 02:23:52 PM »
And in my opinion,  smoke ring has nothing to do with the flavor

That's true but it's an indication of a well cooked meat and the crown of beauty or what the experts would call it the "badge of honor of great BBQ." [emoji39][emoji6][emoji481]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
If it ain't smoked don't eat it!

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #41 on: September 07, 2016, 07:37:37 AM »
Well, I tried a rack hot and fast last night. I must say they were delicious, good texture, nice smoke ring. I think I'll be eating ribs more often now.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #42 on: September 07, 2016, 09:56:50 AM »
Bandwagon time.....loinbacks @ 410 degrees.....1/2 hr in......

Found a bunch mis-marked from $3.43 to 4.28 / per rack....experiment time....... 8)
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #43 on: September 07, 2016, 10:03:03 AM »
Anyone have a clever idea for removing the brown sugar from my big ass jar of rub I made a few weeks ago so I can try some hot and fast ribs without making a new batch of rub?  Ha!
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #44 on: September 07, 2016, 10:07:35 AM »
Try a sifter?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.