Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Hot and fast ribs again  (Read 12677 times)

bigmikey

• WKC Brave
Hot and fast ribs again
« on: August 24, 2016, 05:09:16 PM »
Ribs in less than 1:45 using a vortex. This time I wrapped after an hour, unwrapped for last 5 minutes with a glaze. You'd never know they weren't cooked low and slow

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Hot and fast ribs again
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2016, 05:11:52 PM »
What temp were they running? They look great and nice presentation

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigmikey

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2016, 05:31:40 PM »
I never checked. Last week did same thing and I monitored that time. It was about 350 to start and rose to over 500 on the grate within an hour

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2016, 05:46:34 PM »
What temp were they running?

I never checked.

That's what I like to hear.  They look very meaty.  Must be loin-backs or something.  Great job!!
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

OGlenn

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2016, 06:21:34 PM »
Somehow I never considered this until an old pro @glrasmussen mentioned it today, and now I see this... looks like one heckuva cook.  I have to try this soon, ribs in less than 2 hours... my doctor is going to be pissed!
Uncommon sense seeker

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2016, 06:46:27 PM »
@bigmikey , This is why i Sold my WSM. @swamprb , is experienced at comps. He has mentioned many times lately about higher heat cooks. I did another test on a butt, 8.5#'s, in 4.5 hours. Overshot, but still the bomb. Best part, NO STALL! Great looking cook!

Geezer

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2016, 01:47:16 AM »
I always thought good ribs had to be cooked slowly.  Since I got my Orion I don't cook ribs on the grill any more.  I can do fall off the bone ribs in 1 hour and 15 minutes.  They just don't have as good of a smokey flavor as when they're cooked on the Weber.  I'll have to try Vortex ribs now.

OoPEZoO

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2016, 04:13:23 AM »
@bigmikey , This is why i Sold my WSM. @swamprb , is experienced at comps. He has mentioned many times lately about higher heat cooks. I did another test on a butt, 8.5#'s, in 4.5 hours. Overshot, but still the bomb. Best part, NO STALL! Great looking cook!

I have been cooking my butts hot and fast for the past few months.  The only one who knew the difference was me.  Even fooled my fellow smoking buddies who came over to grub.  I think I'm actually getting somewhat better results as far as how moist the meat is.  It still can't replace the super thick crunchy bark I get when I go low and slow, but the flavor and moisture of the meat is outstanding.

I guess ribs are the next thing on the list to try.
-Keith

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2016, 09:06:43 AM »
Saw your facebook post last night.  I'm definitely going to give it a try.  I do ribs quite a bit because they are the shortest slow and low pork cook....if I can do them in less than 2 hours from starting the grill to taking the ribs off it will be a game changer!
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

Bustin Butt

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2016, 09:23:26 AM »
That's taking the fun out of grilling. I like the low and slow process so that I can kill a 12 pack, it keeps my neighbors face pressed against their window pane for most of the day...gives me an excuse to avoid the honey-do list and it wears you out so that it gives you a good night sleep! Many benefits! lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
If it ain't smoked don't eat it!

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2016, 09:39:00 AM »
That's taking the fun out of grilling. I like the low and slow process so that I can kill a 12 pack, it keeps my neighbors face pressed against their window pane for most of the day...gives me an excuse to avoid the honey-do list and it wears you out so that it gives you a good night sleep! Many benefits! lol

If our honeys would write "Do Honey" at the end of the honey-do list the list would get done so much faster!
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

Bustin Butt

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2016, 09:41:37 AM »

If our honeys would write "Do Honey" at the end of the honey-do list the list would get done so much faster!
You got that right! lol

If it ain't smoked don't eat it!

JDann24

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2016, 10:50:58 AM »

So true.
Looking for colored 18's and SJ's.

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2016, 11:33:38 AM »
I was always smoking BB's indirect @275* and they were done in 3.5-4 hours. No foil.

When I started cooking them DIRECT over a Hunsaker Smokers Vortex Firebasket in a Drum or 22" WSM @275-300* they started popping at 1.45-2 hours!

So, just to make things clear, here is a Pork Board Cooking Time & Temp Chart:

http://www.porkbeinspired.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/2924.pdf

And here is a little Rib cook blog entry from Thermoworks and Meathead.

http://blog2.thermoworks.com/2015/06/ribs/

Monitor you pit/grate temps!
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

bigmikey

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2016, 01:28:13 PM »
I dont know what your post is suppose to mean but the pit temp doesn't matter to me on ribs, they are done when they are done regardless of what temp I'm cooking