Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Need help deciding on first kettle purchase  (Read 10966 times)

Loonysup

• Smokey Joe
Need help deciding on first kettle purchase
« on: January 20, 2016, 09:46:36 AM »
Greetings all,

I have been lurking on this forum for a couple months trying to gain information before making my first kettle purchase (and yes, I know I'm putting way too much thought in to this).  My decision is between the 22inch copper performer deluxe and the Kettle Premium in copper.   I currently have a copper Genesis e320 that I plan on keeping along side the kettle for extra grilling space. 

Here are my concerns:   While I have enough space on my covered patio for either one, I'm concerned with the extra size of the performer deluxe if I need to wheel it out from under the covered patio each time I use it.  My gas grill sits under the same patio now and I don't move it when I'm cooking and it doesn't pose an issue for the most part.   When cooking with the kettle will I need to move it out each time or will the smoke be similar to what I get with the gas grill?   Obviously the smaller kettle is easier to maneuver, not to mention its $250 cheaper than the performer deluxe.  On the flip side, if I go with the performer deluxe, it comes with the deluxe rack, the charcoal baskets and a built in starter so there is less "other stuff" to buy initially. 

I'm basically looking for input either way such as "the kettle premium is all you need since you also have a gas grill". Or "I bought the Kettle premier and have always regretted not biting the bullet on the performer". 

Any honest and real world experience is much appreciated.   

David

David

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

weldboy

• WKC Ranger
Re: Need help deciding on first kettle purchase
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2016, 09:53:53 AM »
My performer is my most used kettle, the gas assist for starting charcoal is handy and the table area is great for food prep. Also I love the charcoal storage bin. If it was me I'd have the performer.

jbenavidez2

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2016, 09:55:06 AM »
IMHO, I have all the grills you speak of and it just depends on what you prefer.  I personally like to buy a batch of weber cubes and use the chimney, comes out cheaper.  The gas assist is cool too though.
Looking for Blues

Currently have: 26.75 Gold; 22.5 SS Performer (Red Mist); 22.5 Mastertouch (Ivory); 18 Sam Adams (Copper); SJS; Jumbo Joe; 18.5 WSM; Genesis EP-330 LP (Copper); Summit S-450 NG; Fireplace; Firepit; Summit 400 Flat Top; Simpsons 22.5 Gold

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2016, 10:09:20 AM »
Hello David, and welcome to the club.
1) Charcoal grills produce significantly more smoke than gas grills, especially when lighting the coals and waiting for them to be ready to cook on.
2) Performers are not really any harder to roll around than a standard kettle. They might even be easier to move because they don't try to fall over backwards when you lift the handle.
3) There are safety concerns with using any grill, gas or charcoal, under a covered patio. These range from the risk of catching your house on fire, to the possibility of filling your home with carbon monoxide. (I am not the safety police, do what makes you happy.)

These things being said, quit thinking about it and get the performer, you will love it.
 If the breeze blows the smoke away from the house, great! If it blows in the windows, roll the thing out in the yard.
$0.02
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2016, 10:10:26 AM »
My only "Performer" has a wood table (Sequoia) & I'm forever looking for a place to set something down (usually on the grate of an unlit kettle)....people that get a Performer generally love them & seem to never go back to a stand-alone by itself...........

The table space & storage are certainly things to consider.......plus, they really are made to move around a bit better than a regular kettle even though both have wheels.....JMHO....
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

firedude5015

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2016, 10:18:44 AM »
My opinion....I have a gas grill, and a few kettles, including a performer. Normally I do move my performer out of my covered patio, but I have used it underneath there, just a little heavy smoke until the chimney gets going good. Here's the deal....if you get the premium kettle and move it out each time you use it, you won't have a table, or gas start (pretty handy). I would say if the patio isn't enclosed, and your budget allows, go with the performer, maybe even find a used one to save money. Charcoal storage, work table, gas assist...all very nice to have. I do use a chimney even with my performer, but that gas assist is the deal....I love my performer, although i usually have that and at least one more kettle going on most cooks...while my gas grill collects dust lol.

brewtownbeatdown

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2016, 10:25:37 AM »
I'd go Premium if you're worried about space. Get a chimney or kettle style electric starter coil($15-$20). Baskets are only $15. Can always use the table space on the gasser. I'm thinking that since the e320 has cabinet doors, you could store charcoal & accessories in there. Good luck on the decision. 

Obviously looking for a Glen Blue (who isn’t?😂).

Looking for anything Happy Cooker, including any re-branded as Montgomery Ward.  I’ve amassed a nice collection, but I’m missing a few still.  Let me know if you can help a fella out🤞

Loonysup

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2016, 10:43:15 AM »
Thank you all for the quick feedback.   All great answers with the common underlying thread that I need to make a decision and not look back.   Quick question on the performer...can the wheels and castors be flip flopped when you are building it.   For example, in the picture below, can I put the wheels on the right side and the castors on the left?   It would make it easier to maneuver to the uncovered space.   

David

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2016, 10:55:11 AM »
Performer with table and gas assist. Plan on a LOT of smoke during coal lightup ..and coal fumes during cooking.
You cannot swap location of the bowl. Frame has predrilled holes for bowl location (mod possible but not easy) you can swap out axle /caster wheel location by drilling axle holes on caster wheel side..just need to drill holes
Grills

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2016, 10:56:04 AM »
The tube frame end holes are the same on each side..so you can install caster wheels on axle side...good luck
Grills

Loonysup

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2016, 10:57:04 AM »
I don't want to reposition the bowl, it's actually in the right spot.   I just want the castors to be under that side so I can steer it easier. 

David

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2016, 11:13:07 AM »
Its  easier to have the axle under the bowl side.
Not sure which direction you are moving it..but having the axle wheels on the front side of your push direction is easier
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 11:30:22 AM by toolhead »
Grills

Josh G

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2016, 11:33:27 AM »
If you are tight on space the kettle is probably the way to go, but if you can squeeze the performer in you might be happier in the long run.  Most people who own the performer bought a kettle first and loved it and then bought the performer. 

I wheel my performer out maybe 10 feet every time I use it and then just push it back when I am done.  Very easy to move around.  Most likely if you get the kettle you are going to bring a table over  to help out during the cook so you're really not saving that much space over having the performer.   

guitarfish

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2016, 11:53:19 AM »
@everybody Great thoughts and advice, It never ceases to amaze me!
Did they ever make the regular performer in copper? The one with the metal folding table. It seems to me that would be the best of both worlds, considering his space and all.
"beer ain't drinkin', it's survivin' "

Loonysup

• Smokey Joe
Need help deciding on first kettle purchase
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2016, 11:57:55 AM »
I put together this rough diagram of the patio.   Where the Genesis sits in the corner, I have no issues with smoke as most if not all of it gets naturally sucked out the screen and out away from the house.  The performer or kettle would need to wheeled in the direction of the arrow which is why I was thinking that having the castors on the left side (when facing the performer) would make it easier to move around. 

Again, thank you all for the great posts.   It's rare to find such a great community these days. 

David