Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Need help deciding on first kettle purchase  (Read 10965 times)

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
Re: Need help deciding on first kettle purchase
« Reply #75 on: January 23, 2016, 01:28:58 PM »
If you want to know if your charcoal has burned down enough to start cooking just put the lid on with the top vent wide open. If the smoke coming off is heavy and dark it needs some time. If the smoke coming off is thin or non-existent then you are good to go.

When pulling lump out of the bag look for heavy dense chunks. These are not carbonized nearly enough and may in fact be straight wood basically. To use those cut them down with an axe if real big and put em' in the bottom of the chimney so they burn longer.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 06:46:19 PM by MrHoss »
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

Loonysup

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #76 on: January 27, 2016, 02:25:04 PM »
Hey everyone,

I'm several cooks in on my kettle so I thought I would update everyone on my progress.   Here are the items that were dead accurate in this thread:

1)." Buy the performer and you won't regret it."  If I had just bought the kettle I would have really been missing out. I love the table and the gas start and the charcoal bin. 

2). "Sell the gasser, you'll never use it again".  Anyone want a Genesis E320 for $xxx.    If I can sell it for a few bucks, I would buy another kettle in a heart beat. 

3).  "Prepare to buy a lot of accessories".  My wish list is growing and growing but I'm trying to gain more experience so I can discern what I actually need.   I had a vortex high on my list for wings, but I made some absolutely killer wings the other day without it so maybe not. 

The royal oak lump charcoal is fantastic.   The cowboy lump (at least the bag I bought) burned with an odd smell and transferred this to the food.   No one else seemed to care but it bothered me.   

This is an amazing forum and I'm thrilled to be a part of it. 

David

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #77 on: January 27, 2016, 02:48:04 PM »
you can get about $400 for a Genesis E320 come April or May, wait it out and sell in a hot market.  Then buy another kettle.
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"
8 MBH, 2 WoodDale, a SCG, and other stuff, including Pellet grills.

Loonysup

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #78 on: January 27, 2016, 02:55:21 PM »

you can get about $400 for a Genesis E320 come April or May, wait it out and sell in a hot market.  Then buy another kettle.

I live in central Florida so it should be selling season all year!!!

David

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #79 on: January 27, 2016, 02:57:00 PM »

I live in central Florida so it should be selling season all year!!!

David

Touche'  Don't give it away E320's are really nice and highly sought after.
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"
8 MBH, 2 WoodDale, a SCG, and other stuff, including Pellet grills.

firedude5015

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #80 on: January 27, 2016, 03:41:23 PM »
I keep my gasser around just in case...side burner is handy, and if I'm doin a big cook, i run one burner on low and use it as a warmer. As for actually cooking on it....only if the girlfriend says "I'm tired of charcoal".

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

guitarfish

• WKC Brave
« Reply #81 on: January 27, 2016, 05:53:01 PM »
@Loonysup  I didn't know you're a Florida boy! Where abouts?

Still good advice, but more like March/April for us ;)
Way cool seeing you get into "it" with such zeal !
"beer ain't drinkin', it's survivin' "

feeshrman

• WKC Brave
Need help deciding on first kettle purchase
« Reply #82 on: January 27, 2016, 06:26:29 PM »
Glad you are enjoying the copper! I have enjoyed the heck out of mine, it's kind of refreshing to purchase a product these days that is everything it's supposed to be. Here are my advice or thoughts on your questions and dilemmas. 1st of all, keep the gasser. The 2 coppers look awesome together, what a pair! You will eventually use it, like someone else said they work great for warming food and I use mine when I'm tired and want a quick cook. Also great for grilling those veggies and many other uses. 2nd, get a good pair of leather grilling or welding gloves for shuffling those accessories. 3rd, the cowboy lump you purchased may have had some mesquite wood in it, that may account for the strange smoke taste you experienced. 4th, have you tried any indirect cooks yet? They can be wonderful. 5th, you've started a great post, keep up the good work! PS  I like your taste in beer.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 06:28:33 PM by feeshrman »

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #83 on: January 27, 2016, 09:15:26 PM »
I keep my gasser around just in case...side burner is handy, and if I'm doin a big cook, i run one burner on low and use it as a warmer. As for actually cooking on it....only if the girlfriend says "I'm tired of charcoal".

@Loonysup,  my advise is to heed exactly what "firedude0515" suggests, you already own the gasser  ...  no need to be in a hurry to sell it.

@firedude5015, my advise is when my girlfriend says "I'm tired of charcoal"  ...  find a new girlfriend :)                        SJ
"Too Beef, or Not too Beef" ...

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".

firedude5015

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #84 on: January 28, 2016, 03:57:18 AM »
@SmokenJoe ...Lol.....she doesn't say that often...maybe she knows it's not a good thing to say

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 04:10:54 AM by firedude5015 »

Loonysup

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #85 on: January 28, 2016, 04:28:07 AM »
I am going to keep the Genesis for now.  It has new burners ( thank you Weber) and new grates. 

4th, have you tried any indirect cooks yet? They can be wonderful.

I made honey lime Sriracha wings the other day.   My best cook so far.  They were devoured at a cookout we went to. 

David

firedude5015

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #86 on: January 28, 2016, 04:57:04 AM »
@Loonysup ...start looking for a deal on a roti ring..u won't regret it

kettlecook

• WKC Brave
« Reply #87 on: January 30, 2016, 09:27:12 PM »
Congrats on the beautiful Performer! Mine needs a deep cleaning but I still love it. Wings look great. As for accessories, I suggest a Kettlepizza. It's changed my life.