Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Cast Iron Cooking  (Read 6063 times)

Harleysmoker

• WKC Brave
Cast Iron Cooking
« on: December 30, 2015, 06:31:52 PM »
My wife bought me the 5 pc. Lodge set. It was pre seasoned, but before I used them, I lightly washed with soap and water, and I did 3 seasonings in the oven with Crisco. Then I fried bacon in them all, and many other things, made chili in the dutch oven on the Weber kettle, fried eggs, onions, peppers etc. in the skillet.

I read that tomatoe and acidic based foods shouldn't be used but my chili had no ill effect on it.

I am thinking of doing pork and sauerkraut in the Dutch Oven for several hours tomorrow.

Will the Sauerkraut hurt the seasoning or leave a metallic taste in the food?

Jon

• WKC Ranger
Re: Cast Iron Cooking
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2015, 07:02:08 PM »
If the dutch oven is seasoned, then the kraut won't be touching metal, just the carbon on the seasoning. You should be ok.

mrbill

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2015, 08:20:19 PM »
i've heard it both ways that high acid foods will/won't leach some of the iron out and into your food. erring on the side of caution, I have an inexpensive cast iron dutch oven that I use for high acid foods. if it tastes okay and you don't do it often, i'd think you're probably okay even if you get some extra iron in the sauce. of course, those disposable aluminum pans are pretty cheap too if you don't want to risk it and don't have other tools to use.
Seeking New York Giants MT For A Price That Won't Break My Bank

Jon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2015, 10:08:08 PM »
Cheap aluminum would be even worse. If there is really a worry about low pH, then use stainless steel or anodized aluminum or something enameled. Or even non-stick if it is all low temp.

Is this diluted at all? Or straight pork and kraut? I've thinking along the lines of drained sauerkraut and pork with maybe a beer added?

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2015, 11:13:23 PM »
I use my CI dutch oven for tomato sauces all of the time.   These CI oldies were made for cooking just like our kettles.  I never taste metal in my sauce, but a little iron in the diet is probably a good thing.   However, I don't wash with soap  ...  sometimes I do use a chain-mail scrubber.                       SJ
"Too Beef, or Not too Beef" ...

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2015, 12:51:28 AM »
If it's properly seasoned tomato sauce (chili) or sauerkraut shouldn't hurt it. Lodge is good stuff.

Shoestringshop

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2015, 05:05:55 AM »
@Harleysmoker   This I can help with... I use Cast Iron all the time. Have alot of it. I do soup, stews, stuffed green peppers "that uses tomato on it and in it", and many other foods in cast iron. the only thing I've noticed is when I use a lot of garlic it will leave a rancid smell afterwards. I found that using lemon or lime to wipe it down after cleaning eliminates the smell coming from the cast iron. You did the right thing washing the first time use soap and do a seasoning afterwards. Never and I mean Never let air dry after hand drying put the Cast Iron in a hot oven, or back on the hot grill to dry. Good luck and have fun! :)
Wife said "No more GRILLS in this house!" So I bought a 2nd house!

Harleysmoker

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2015, 03:39:30 PM »
Thanks for the replies,,,,

I was afraid the sauerkraut might eat up my newly seasoned pot cooking for 3 hours, so I am using a couple glass dishes. I didn't want to take a chance of the food tasting metallic or have to start over seasoning. Maybe when the pot gets some age to it and seasoning gets built up a little more I will try it.

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2016, 08:40:06 AM »
Lodge recommends building up the seasoning before cooking acid foods.

https://www.lodgemfg.com/use-and-care/seasoned-cast-iron-use-and-care.asp
You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

stellato1976

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2016, 10:35:45 AM »
I agree never use soap after the first cleaning..I clean with salt, water and a foil ball then dry with heat.  I never had a problem.  I make chilli in mine all the time camping and never have a problem with it.  They make a paper liner for them at walmart that you may want to try if you are afraid.
Stay grilling  my friends!!!!

Shoestringshop

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2016, 12:27:20 PM »
@Harleysmoker Thought you may like this... as well as other WKC members that use Cast Iron

http://www.castironcollector.com/unmarked.php
Wife said "No more GRILLS in this house!" So I bought a 2nd house!

stellato1976

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2016, 02:10:41 PM »
@Harleysmoker Thought you may like this... as well as other WKC members that use Cast Iron

http://www.castironcollector.com/unmarked.php
Cool site just looked my skillet up.  Was made in the 60s..in Ohio
Stay grilling  my friends!!!!

Harleysmoker

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2016, 04:39:35 PM »
@Shoestringshop thanks for the link, lots of good information there!

LaTuFu

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2016, 04:48:57 AM »
I recommend Crisco, pork or beef fat for seasoning. Coat the pan with a very thin layer. Wipe off as much excess as possible, turn the pan upside down and bake in the oven at 450-500 for an hour, turn off the oven and leave the pan in there and let it cool down in the oven. Repeat 4-5 times until you get a good solid seasoning.

If you research it online you will probably stumble into a very authoritative sounding article that insists flaxseed oil is the best seasoning oil. I tried it on one of our skillets. Was a complete waste of time. Seasoning comes off with every cook. Animal based fats have been the most consistent performer for me.

Lodge also makes a seasoning oil if you want to order that online. It's a seed oil base, and I have never used it, but I have heard good things about it from DO cooks.

We have an old Wagner skillet and several Lodge DOs that we cook with all the time.

In fact the camp DO my wife got me for my birthday last year is what rekindled my interest in charcoal cooking.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 04:54:58 AM by LaTuFu »
Q2000; 26er; P Code MT; 22 WSM

Metal Mike

• WKC Ranger
    • The Best Podcast in the Universe
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2016, 06:45:09 AM »
I heard about the flaxseed method, intrigued, but couldn't justify the cost and it isn't stable (requires refrigeration & air tight) 

YMMV, brands too, but I've used Louana coconut oil exclusively with excellent result. Warm/soften first (it cools/sets solid like butter)

Also you don't have to worry about it going rancid like other fats/oils. Despite it has higher smoke point than most oils; 350-400 is my preferred seasoning temp.

And store your CI with sheets of newspaper (or cardboard cuts) below & between them.

Good opinion:
http://wellnessmama.com/36721/season-cast-iron-pans/
Enjoy
...BOBBING FOR COALS IN MY KETTLE