Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: So, to clean this CI cooking grate ... ?  (Read 2057 times)

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
So, to clean this CI cooking grate ... ?
« on: January 14, 2016, 04:08:28 PM »
It was dry as a bone (essentially unused) prior to the beef going on (which was marinated and did have some oil on it) and yet the meat stuck like a bitch to the grate. Maybe it was too hot, I dunno much about gas cooking. Maybe I should have sprayed some oil on it first.

I have a decent brass bristle brush but even while still hot the brush had almost no effect on getting the cruft off. Sometimes I really dislike cast iron. I don't want to hit it too hard with anything harder metal and break through the porcelain, you know? I wanna just soak it somehow in something other than water ...

(meat was tasty) http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/contest-winning-grilled-asian-flank-steak
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: So, to clean this CI cooking grate ... ?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2016, 04:18:20 PM »
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2016, 06:11:53 PM »
I don't think that there is porcelain on Q grates. I set mine on my Genisis, get it super hot and brush/scrape it clean. You can also turn the grate upside down to burn the gunk off of it.
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2016, 02:52:04 AM »
Some oil and some seasoning on the grate should do the trick.

Grates without porcelain work better, IMO.

You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2016, 03:25:35 AM »
The honey, sugar and garlic in the recipe and the hoisin sauce may be part of the problem too.
You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2016, 03:46:20 AM »
It it porcelain coated cast iron, some heat, some oil and a light brushing will do wonders.
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"
8 MBH, 2 WoodDale, a SCG, and other stuff, including Pellet grills.

chefn58

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2016, 05:03:33 AM »
When I'm done cooking on my q, I let it cool down then take the grates out and throw them in a sink with hot water and soap. Let it sit for 10 minutes and wipe clean.

I don't have to scrub them at all. Everything comes right off.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Searching for a Blue 18" MBH

Quadman750

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2016, 09:24:56 AM »
Not sure if it is the right thing to do but you could throw them in your self cleaning oven, then re-season them.