Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Cast Iron Cooking  (Read 6062 times)

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Cast Iron Cooking
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2016, 07:13:36 AM »
Also, anytime you "change" the seasoning type, in order to actually get whatever the benefit or characteristic of the different oil, you have to remove all of the existing seasoning ... highest heat and take everything off, right down to the light gray metal and then immediately coat with oil and begin seasoning before too much air gets to it.

So when you buy a new Lodge for example, it doesn't really matter what oil you use; you're still bound by what Lodge seasoned it with unless it becomes rusty. Everything else will either come off or give various lubrication results and still not stay on as well as it might otherwise, if it were the only oil on the metal.

Yes about flaxseed oil insofar as the refrigerated kind is what to use (NOT the stuff sitting out on the shelf sold at the health food store). Unfiltered, high lignon ... but a waste of time and money in some cases. I have some bought at Whole Foods, their "365" brand, best used by Aug 2015 but still fine. Although it has a flip-top, it's actually sealed, kinda like some of the newer ketchups that have a membrane in the lid. So you squeeze it out through the membrane's slit, not pour.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Metal Mike

• WKC Ranger
    • The Best Podcast in the Universe
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2016, 12:51:54 PM »
Excellent point about "change" I've always Hot Soapy scrub when I acquired CI & before started my seasoning
(perhaps that has been enough.)

Thanks, I checked a couple places but never thought about Whole Food$ having the "practical for cast iron" type of FSO,

I may re-season a couple pieces soon & will give that Flax a try.
...BOBBING FOR COALS IN MY KETTLE

Shoestringshop

• WKC Performer
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2016, 04:28:37 PM »
@Metal Mike @Harleysmoker - My Great-Great Aunt crochets and I asked her to crochet a circle with yarn to fit inside the Cast Iron. It works great!!! Keeps the pans separated and any moisture will be absorbed into the crocheted circle.

Wife said "No more GRILLS in this house!" So I bought a 2nd house!

Metal Mike

• WKC Ranger
    • The Best Podcast in the Universe
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2016, 08:35:50 AM »
@Shoestringshop Those are a nice compliment to Any collection, will make a Sweet Heirloom & admirable how clean too.

Admittedly I don't thoroughly wipe all the char from the underside after each use & would have to stick with the folded newspaper(s) between...
...BOBBING FOR COALS IN MY KETTLE

Harleysmoker

• WKC Brave
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2016, 07:07:33 PM »
@Shoestringshop nice idea, I have been putting a kitchen towel in between my pans. Is your Aunt Colombian?

Shoestringshop

• WKC Performer
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2016, 07:28:57 PM »
@Harleysmoker nope German... didn't think of that :). The Colombia Flag ;)
Wife said "No more GRILLS in this house!" So I bought a 2nd house!

Harleysmoker

• WKC Brave
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2016, 07:46:39 PM »
@Shoestringshop my wife is Colombian is why I asked,,,all good

chuck s

• WKC Brave
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2016, 05:34:06 PM »
Wow sa!!   tons of info - thanks for all the replies and insight.  I am just getting into the CI realm - planning on doing more while traveling in motor-home.   I will digest all that is here - thanks to all!!