Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: My Blue SS performer w/ mods  (Read 14416 times)

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
Re: My Blue SS performer w/ mods
« Reply #45 on: June 01, 2016, 08:40:06 PM »
ive thought about the 2015 lid bale mod but then the bale would stick out too much and the Weber SSP cover wont fit.

Unfortunately, that is true.  Have not found a cover that fits a SSP with the new Bale.

mrgoodbar67

• WKC Brave
« Reply #46 on: October 15, 2016, 08:50:39 PM »
So, after looking at 2 of @Winz 's recent mods, I decided to add them to my blue ss.

first, I moved the regulator to under the flip-up charcoal bin lid and side mounted the propane tank.  Now its hidden and out of view.  No pic of the tank mounted, but it looks just like in Winzs pic

Because I did this, I needed to replace the wooden panel so that it would no longer have the holes.  I also moved the weber plate to the right and moved the tool hooks to the left.

Then i began to work on the Slide-Lid mod
I think I followed the same steps as Winz, however, I flipped the lid as suggested by @Troy so that little handle would be on the right and afford me more surface area to work with.

Since I flipped the lid and wanted it to slide open, the side edges of the lid did not allow it to sit and slide flush with the fame bc of the cross member.  So....i dremmeled a groove into to each side of the cross member so that the lid edges had a "track" to slide on and allow the lid to sit/slide flush.

In order to install the drawer slides and keep the lid flush, i had to place 1/4 inch shims bw the slide and the grill frame

Then I had to glue shims to the underside of the lid so that the track would attach to it and allow a flush slide

Since the lid has a lip that hangs on the side w/out the handle, i had to dremmel a few holes to allow clearance for the reg knob and ignitor button so that the lid wouldnt hit them as its sliding.

Finally I was done with the slide aside mod

I already ordered a wire basket to replace the charcoal bin.  Due to the drawer slide install, the charcoal bin no longer fits.  I never really liked it anyway.

Im going to buy a wooden milk crate, paint it to match the wood on my grill and place it on the wooden rack.  It it will hold my charcoal, wood chunks and stuff.  Well see...

Thanks @Winz
« Last Edit: October 15, 2016, 08:59:10 PM by mrgoodbar67 »
-Custon SS 1998 Performer- with mods inspired by Idahawk, Winz, Zavod44 and a bunch of you here.
- Jumbo Joe with smoker mods

RottiGuy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #47 on: October 16, 2016, 01:24:57 AM »
Great job!!!

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
« Reply #48 on: October 16, 2016, 03:59:41 AM »
Shes one of a kind!

You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #49 on: October 16, 2016, 12:51:04 PM »
wow nice work!!
I would have lost several fingers trying a job like this

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #50 on: October 16, 2016, 01:42:03 PM »
Very nice!

Crimson Performer Platinum "AH", Red MT "P", Red Mist SSP "EZ", Faded Black "A", Black OTG "DE".
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

mrgoodbar67

• WKC Brave
« Reply #51 on: October 16, 2016, 06:06:48 PM »
Finished the "milk crate" mod today.  I think it looks pretty good.

The large panel on the front facing side of the crate looks too...bare.  I will be looking for something to place there.  Maybe another Weber Logo plate? i dunno, well see.

I bought the crate at an arts and crafts store and painted it to match my wood pieces. 
I had to line the interior of the crate with a black heavy duty plastic bag so that charcoal & its dust wouldn't fall out.

Then, I placed the crate under the opening allowed by sliding lid.  At the moment, its easy to scoop up charcoal after sliding the lid, but once I place the basket there, I may have to slide the crate out a bit to get at the charcoal or i can remove the basket when needed. Either way its really easy an better than having to take things off the lid so that I can flip it up and grab charcoal.

Im not worried about the charcoal getting wet since I have the heavy duty Weber SSP cover on my Grill all the time that goes down to the floor.

Now I have a charcoal bin and lid hinge rod for laying around...anyone want it???

-Custon SS 1998 Performer- with mods inspired by Idahawk, Winz, Zavod44 and a bunch of you here.

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
« Reply #52 on: October 16, 2016, 07:03:43 PM »
Your SSP looks awesome, love the combo of the wood and the blue.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #53 on: October 17, 2016, 01:06:40 AM »
Wow.  Some people just blow me away with the amount of skill and vision they have building stuff.  You are one of those people.  Incredible.
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #54 on: October 17, 2016, 03:23:14 AM »
Very cool mod.

Crimson Performer Platinum "AH", Red MT "P", Red Mist SSP "EZ", Faded Black "A", Black OTG "DE".
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Winz

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #55 on: October 17, 2016, 08:30:54 AM »
@mrgoodbar67 Excellent looking SS Performer!  Lots of great mods to make it a unique kettle that I am sure you will enjoy for many years to come.  Really love the contrast of the blue and the light wood colors.  Glad you could incorporate the hidden gas and sliding table mods.  Really like your charcoal holder - great idea.

Winz
In an ongoing relationship with a kettle named Bisbee.

mrgoodbar67

• WKC Brave
« Reply #56 on: October 19, 2016, 08:25:16 PM »
here i go again..

I decided to add a feature inspired by the newer performers.

Tilting charcoal crate!!

just bought some cable, screwed it onto the charcoal crate and anchored it to the grill

Now i can pull out the crate far enough to scoop up charcoal without neeading to take the entire thing out or worrying about it falling out.

« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 07:34:41 PM by mrgoodbar67 »

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
« Reply #57 on: October 19, 2016, 08:49:32 PM »
Hey, that's pretty practical!

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #58 on: October 20, 2016, 04:24:06 AM »
That's a great looking performer!

Really cool mods!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mrgoodbar67

• WKC Brave
« Reply #59 on: February 22, 2017, 11:46:26 PM »
While working on my Jumbo Joe smoker I decided to address some issues I was having with my SSP.

I used expanded aluminum grill toppers from Walmart ($3.99 for 3) as a bottom for the grate to allow me to shake all the ash out and keep any small usable charcoal or small lump after burns.

All i did was cut and shape to fit.  Theres my dog Brando, wondering WTF im up to again.

Also added some handles to the grate so that I can easily pick up the grate and shake out all small unusable charcoal and ash

Not much but these mods will make it easier for me to get things done.

« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 11:48:43 PM by mrgoodbar67 »