Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: My Blue SS performer w/ mods  (Read 14338 times)

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
Re: My Blue SS performer w/ mods
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2015, 08:44:47 AM »
Way to make it your own :) can't wait to see your take on the other mods for your SS , I've got some mod plans for my Red SS right after hunting season .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Wanted plum/burgundy 18.5
WTB Color Copies of old Weber Catalogs

mrgoodbar67

• WKC Brave
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2015, 11:05:09 PM »
So, i finally did this mod that @Idahawk inspired me to do.  As he stated in his post, the wire rack that the SSP has is not big enough for items and sits too far under the grill. 

I used Tung oil and Spar varnish along with a stain that I already had in the garage that happened to match the handles Brian sent. 

What you guys think?

Here is the raw wood cut to size.  I placed the boards to see how they would look and checked how much spacing I would need between the boards.  I noticed the end boards would need notches cut out on the corners to allow flush fitting with the frame.

Here I have begun to apply oils, before stain, stain again and seal several times.

Here, i assembled the boards and then screwed them to the guide boards that will fit between the bottom frame rails. The two guide boards keep the shelf from sliding and fit tight

I now have the wire rack that I no longer need.  Anyone want it?

Next mods...lift...wooden rollers, etc and the extension to the table
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 10:19:35 AM by mrgoodbar67 »
-Custon SS 1998 Performer- with mods inspired by Idahawk, Winz, Zavod44 and a bunch of you here.
- Jumbo Joe with smoker mods

mrgoodbar67

• WKC Brave
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2016, 09:49:29 PM »
Finally got around to reinstalling the lid bale with @zavod44 's lid bale rollers.  Plus installed the wheel covers.

No need to say it but AWESOME work by Brian as always

« Last Edit: January 18, 2016, 09:19:16 PM by mrgoodbar67 »
-Custon SS 1998 Performer- with mods inspired by Idahawk, Winz, Zavod44 and a bunch of you here.

weldboy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2016, 03:39:08 PM »
Beautiful! Love the way that wood contrasts with the blue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2016, 04:56:36 PM »
fun project!

So did ClubChapin tell you about his electric start mod??

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/electric-start-on-performer-ss-conversion/

This might also work as an alternative, Weber #80453. It's the red button and igniter for a Q120/220/320. I used that to convert my Q300 to electric start. You'd have plenty of space for it on your Performer, but given your black/blue setup might want to use Weber's gray button instead.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Shoestringshop

• WKC Performer
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2016, 07:51:55 PM »
Nice wood walls! Got two sets myself  8) love them.
Wife said "No more GRILLS in this house!" So I bought a 2nd house!

mrgoodbar67

• WKC Brave
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2016, 09:24:35 PM »
fun project!

So did ClubChapin tell you about his electric start mod??

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/electric-start-on-performer-ss-conversion/

This might also work as an alternative, Weber #80453. It's the red button and igniter for a Q120/220/320. I used that to convert my Q300 to electric start. You'd have plenty of space for it on your Performer, but given your black/blue setup might want to use Weber's gray button instead.

That mod was on my radar for a while but i figured Id leave the ignitor the way it is.  No batteries needed and will last FOREVER.

mrgoodbar67

• WKC Brave
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2016, 08:38:55 PM »
So after seeing @Idahawk 's grill again and seeing what @firedude5015 did to his, i decided to finish my mods up and added the front panel wood too. 

used pine again and stained it to match the bottom wood rack i had made, wood handles, rollers and vent tab that @zavod44 provided.

It was a bit difficult because I modded the igniter button and propane regulator.  Since the regulator knob wasnt sticking out enough through the wood panel after install, I added a kitchen stove knob just to be able and turn the propane on.  IT IS NOT PERMANENT and will be removed.

It came out great, I think.

« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 12:12:52 PM by mrgoodbar67 »

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2016, 09:11:20 PM »
I've missed this before today.  That's a beauty!

The caster mod is nicer than the weber casters, if you are looking for more to do.
http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/performer-2%27-non-locking-replacement-wheels-with-ball-bearings/

I think Winz recently posted a mod for a basket where he deleted the bin and moved the tank.  Maybe a basket could fit where your control panel used to be?
[size=78%]http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/charcoal-storage-in-your-performer/msg226543/#msg226543[/size]

firedude5015

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2016, 03:39:59 AM »
Looks great!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

cwmfour

• WKC Brave
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2016, 05:09:02 AM »
Another Blue SSP owner here.  Love mine.

Nice mods.  I like the bale, but agree it's nice to get the lid out of the way.  So I will be adding the new bale that allows the lid to open wider.

Whit

G19

• WKC Brave
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2016, 05:52:20 AM »
I would like to change the bale on mine too.  Anyone have a parts breakdown on what you all need? 

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2016, 07:27:31 AM »
I would like to change the bale on mine too.  Anyone have a parts breakdown on what you all need?

I think the new bale includes all of the parts. I don't remember buying or needing anything in addition to the new part number.

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/2015-lid-bale-on-ss-perf/msg160544/#msg160544

Wolf0503

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2016, 07:45:15 AM »
Looks great. I love the wood grips.

weldboy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2016, 10:43:04 AM »
Very nice! Looks awesome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk