Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: My Blue SS performer w/ mods  (Read 14400 times)

mrgoodbar67

• WKC Brave
My Blue SS performer w/ mods
« on: November 04, 2015, 02:59:19 PM »
Earlier in the year, i found this red 98 SS performer on CL.  It had belonged to the sellers friend who had passed away approx 10 years ago.  Thinking they'd use it, they kept it only be stored away for that long.  They finally decided to let it go on CL and I was the lucky one enough to be there first.

I already had a black OTS with slide aside that I was using with two side table but had always wanted a Performer since i saw them on WKC.  When i bough the SS, the OTS was sold on CL as well.

But the red bowl and lid didn't appeal too much to me so I reached out to @zavod44 and proposed a trade worthy enough to take place on draft day in the NFL. 
In exchange for a blue bowl and lid off one of his performers, he received my red bowl and lid along with one first round draft pick for 2017, a player to be named later and cash considerations.  Just like that, the deal was done.

Once I received the blue SS bowl/ lid I installed it on my SS cart and was very happy.

Since I had been researching WKC and other forums, i started to plan diff mods that I would perform on the....performer.

I ordered wooden handles for the lid, vent and bin door from @zavod44 as well and then upgraded the propane tank, hose and regulator to accept the small disposable tanks. When I bought the SS on CL, the hose was torn (rats?) and the propane tank was empty an no longer refillable. 

Along with that, I moved the igniter to the front panel and now and have access to it and the regulator on/off knob without having to lift the bin door.  To do this, i used the old propane tank bracket that was used to hold the old 10 lb tank to the SS frame.  Instead I used it as the bracket to mount the regulator and disposable propane tank.  I had it welded to the rear of the front panel and rigged it to accept the new regulator and tank.  Works great.

I also really liked the lid bale but didn't like the way the lid didn't allow me access to the entire grill. Seeing that the lid hook was not factory on the performer lids, I researched again and found some posts by @Winz, @JosephJ, @DirectDrive and @ClubChapin that helped me do the lid hook mod.  I also have to credit another forum (TVWBB) for some ideas and tips for both lid hook and propane tank upgrade mods. 

The holes leftover from removing the lid bale were plugged using hole plugs and fiber washers at the recommendation of  @ClubChapin. They are tight and have no air leaks. 

Before-

After-

What do you think?

Here's a cook pic.

Mods I still want to do-

Add the wood panels to the bottom wire rack. just like @Idahawk did to his green SS "the Idaho". 
May install the 2015 lid bale like @ClubChapin and ask @zavod44 for wooden lid bale rollers
Extension mod that @Winz did on his copper SS "the Bisbee"
Lift kit that @Bman did

Thanks to all of you for posting advice, tips and pics to help me out with my SS. @zavod44  Thanks for helping with pic posting

If possible, Ill post a vid of it in action and as well as some cook pics.

« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 07:52:48 PM by mrgoodbar67 »
-Custon SS 1998 Performer- with mods inspired by Idahawk, Winz, Zavod44 and a bunch of you here.
- Jumbo Joe with smoker mods

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
Re: My Blue SS performer w/ mods
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2015, 03:06:20 PM »
Nice score, trade, mods, and pictures!  You're leg mounts and ash catcher aren't lined up the same as my SS Performer....anyone know what thats all about?

62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

mrgoodbar67

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2015, 03:20:58 PM »
The blue bowl is from the new Gen Perfromer, 2005+ i believe. That could be it.

Notice how my original red ss bowl from 98 and your red bowl have the leg sockets in the same position.  Since the leg sockets are in different positions, that will effect how the ash catcher bowl is mounted because it attaches to the leg sockets. 

You ash catcher looks like the newer ones. correct?  No twist needed, just a squeeze and a tilt?
-Custon SS 1998 Performer- with mods inspired by Idahawk, Winz, Zavod44 and a bunch of you here.

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2015, 03:29:40 PM »
@mrgoodbar67 - Correct.  I got the new model ash catcher.  Had to break of the hanging tabs that would go into the legs and then I drilled and rived the catcher ring in place.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2015, 04:26:34 PM »
Nice job! Good to see someone else using an SJ bowl as a charcoal ring!
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

mrgoodbar67

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2015, 04:59:49 PM »
Its not the SJ bowl....its something i made from a heating vent piece i bought at HD and added wire mesh to.

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2015, 05:31:04 PM »
Man great mods there on that performer! All the wood on there looks great, especially on the vent, that's sharp!

But one thing in your post confused me, you got a new grill and then sold your old one? That doesn't make sense 😀

DirectDrive

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2015, 05:40:16 PM »
She's a beaut !
Well done !

mrgoodbar67

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2015, 05:51:55 PM »
The lid vent wood is credited to Brian. He's good at what he does.  Too bad his Cubs couldn't be as good. I was rooting for them because my almanac said they'd win

As far as the selling of the  ots...... Well, I couldn't see myself keeping someone from the fun I had with my ots.  Way I figure, someone was itching for a hit of the weber kettle drug and I supplied them

TheDude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2015, 06:04:52 PM »
She's a bute for sure! Soon as Brian mentioned a wood vent tab, I HAD to have one. Once I knew he was making it for me, the plastic one was glaring to me. Really ties the room together.

Still need a 22” yellow

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2015, 08:56:38 PM »
Timber vent tabs!!!! How long has this been going on??
I'm only 2 or 3 kettles away from being that creepy guy down the street with all the Webers
                            WKC Collaborator
                        Viva La  Charcoal Revolution

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2015, 09:30:32 PM »
Looks great! Love that you moved the ignitor to the front panel. Is it too late to get this in Mod Month post??
BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"

mrgoodbar67

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2015, 10:54:13 PM »
Mod month!!!!! That be awesome

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2015, 12:32:17 AM »
I think I'd keep the lid hook over the lid bale but that's just personal preference. I like the lid out of the way and I don't find lifting it into place a chore.

Really nice mods you've made!

Tommy B

• WKC Brave
    • @tommybrooker
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2015, 05:01:44 AM »
I think I'd keep the lid hook over the lid bale but that's just personal preference. I like the lid out of the way and I don't find lifting it into place a chore.

Really nice mods you've made!

See I have never had a problem with the lid bale but a lot of folks prefer the hook. Like you said personal preference!

Nice job! I have a blue SS performer and love it!
Hotty Toddy!