Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: I think I have my work cut out for me...  (Read 12875 times)

SixZeroFour

I think I have my work cut out for me...
« on: December 08, 2014, 10:37:01 AM »
Going to pick this beauty up tonight ;)

At first glance it looks a bit nasty, but if you look at the individual parts it actually looks like its in pretty good shape! I bet with a mini-resto it will be breathing fire in no time...

Best part is the price... FREE  8)

http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/nvn/zip/4795034243.html
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

jdefran

• WKC Brave
Re: I think I have my work cut out for me...
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2014, 11:57:08 AM »
I'm excited for you as I'm looking for this exact project; well maybe still assembled still..but for free what the heck. My newer stainless weber just lack character.

SixZeroFour

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2014, 12:34:22 PM »
I've been feeling the same way lately, I love my genesis but the old classic gasser has grown on me especially after seeing some of the killer restorations here with the WKC.

Personally I was happy to see it disassembled - saved me some work! And the lower bbq section looks like it's been scraped out. :) Bonus.

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2014, 04:48:47 PM »
I see it as a labor of love.....
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"
8 MBH, 2 WoodDale, a SCG, and other stuff, including Pellet grills.

Nate

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2014, 06:10:42 PM »
That 1000 will be nice after its resto job. I have one of those but the fire box is toast so I'm going to repurpose the frame and whatever else I can.

...I assume it's a 1000  ???

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2014, 06:11:08 PM »
Matt, you will love it!
;)
I have an '02 Genesis Silver C and an '85 Genesis 2 at home. At work we have a brand new Genesis 310. The new one is nice, but my East/West Gennies will cook circles around it. Especially my '85, 13 SS bars from RCPlanebuyer and a set of heavy CI grates from an old Silver B.
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

SixZeroFour

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2014, 06:26:01 PM »

Other than the paint which I plan to fix its actually in real good shape!

And now that you guys have chimed in with good reviews I'm excited to see how it turns out. Will post updates along the way!

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2014, 06:29:37 AM »
Right on - that old Genesis has a lot of potential. I am not hip to the sizes or configurations that the old Genesis models came in but that is one of the smaller ones right? Sure looks like it. In that case that ought to be more rare than the standard size I would think. Given your normal treatment of restorations 604, this is gonna look beauty.....especially sitting next to some red Kettles.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

SixZeroFour

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2014, 10:23:11 AM »
Think it's just the odd photo perspective as this is a classic genesis 1000... and exactly what I was looking for 8)

The wood should clean right up with a sand, and with some new paint there's potential!

Pretty sure the logo is the same as the SS performers and there's one hiding in my garage somewhere...
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 10:29:19 AM by SixZeroFour »

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2014, 03:06:31 PM »
Awesome grill, awesome price! I've got a free plum Silver C that I'll be restoring this spring. The one thing I don't like about it is the gray plastic side tables/handle. Would love to get the wooden slats installed.
BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2014, 03:56:41 PM »
Think it's just the odd photo perspective as this is a classic genesis 1000... and exactly what I was looking for 8)

The wood should clean right up with a sand, and with some new paint there's potential!

Pretty sure the logo is the same as the SS performers and there's one hiding in my garage somewhere...

The logo is an easy fix.  Strip the remaining paint, spray the entire front with black high heat paint and then carefully place the plate face down on very fine grit sand paper and rub back and forth.    Good as new.

SixZeroFour

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2014, 07:09:46 PM »
Cheers Dave - that's a great tip! Will have to give this a shot.

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2014, 06:12:34 PM »
Cheers Dave - that's a great tip! Will have to give this a shot.

Good luck with it Matt.  Be sure to keep it flat and not sand too much as you can round off the edges if you aren't careful.  Also, be absolutely sure that you don't use a course grain sand paper.   

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2014, 09:30:47 PM »
I know you will have it looking like its 1985 catalog photo shoot ready in no time.

SixZeroFour

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2014, 09:21:47 AM »
I know you will have it looking like its 1985 catalog photo shoot ready in no time.

Thanks Craig, that's my goal. Made a HD run yesterday for sanding blocks and primer/paint to get started this weekend. A genesis gold just fell in my lap as well so I may do some mixing and matching and cherry pick the nicest bits from each.

Will snap some progress shots in a day or two.