Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: I think I have my work cut out for me...  (Read 12869 times)

wyd

• WKC Ranger
Re: I think I have my work cut out for me...
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2014, 09:13:35 AM »
That does look pretty nice.  A little TLC and you will have a very nice Genesis.  I really like mine.
Platinum Performer Kettle (In Blue), OTG (In Blue)
Genesis Gasser (In Blue), Smokey Joe (Uline Lime)
Looking to buy (18.5 blue or brownie and blue lantern)

SixZeroFour

« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2014, 04:36:46 PM »
Well, making some progress :)

I sandblasted the base and lid sides and repainted them along with the frame. Good old steel wool on the porcelain lid and bingo...

Need to cut and finish the side table slats then we're rockin!

« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 04:45:56 PM by SixZeroFour »
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2014, 05:53:16 PM »
That is coming along beautifully! Nice job Matt!

hankeljs

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2014, 04:17:38 AM »
Matt, did you make the handle?  And what is the wood you have sitting there for the slats? 

Seeing this gives me motivation to get to working on mine, but with a 10 week old baby at the house, free time is limited!

I also see this one is natural gas.  Do you know what the female connection would look like where the hose hooks up?  I just got a manifold and hose and considering hooking it up that way.

Thanks.

Jeff

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2014, 06:35:01 AM »
Baby!!!! Damn that looks sweet Matt. Can I come live at your house? I promise to bring all my Webers.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

wyd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2014, 06:55:44 AM »
Damn!!!!!!!!!  That is amazing what is done so far.  I think its better than new.
Platinum Performer Kettle (In Blue), OTG (In Blue)
Genesis Gasser (In Blue), Smokey Joe (Uline Lime)
Looking to buy (18.5 blue or brownie and blue lantern)

SixZeroFour

« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2014, 08:49:44 AM »
Hi Jeff,

First are foremost congrats on the new arrival!!  :)

I did not make the front handle, it's the original that's been sanded back down. Replacing it was a consideration but I don't have a router and wanted to stick as close to the original as possible. The handle cut-outs would have proved very challenging plus the original is in really solid shape anyways. Still needs a little detail work before sealing but it's better than what I could produce :) As for the wood, its oak. It's hard and durable and the color is the closest match to the handle that's readily available here. The original I believe is redwood(?)... Either way, I plan to stain all the wood with a cedar color to try and bring out more orange/amber tone.

I'm not sure I understand the question about the hose... do you mean the connection at your house, or at the manifold?

Edit: I wrote maple by accident! lol oak slats!

Matt, did you make the handle?  And what is the wood you have sitting there for the slats? 

Seeing this gives me motivation to get to working on mine, but with a 10 week old baby at the house, free time is limited!

I also see this one is natural gas.  Do you know what the female connection would look like where the hose hooks up?  I just got a manifold and hose and considering hooking it up that way.

Thanks.

Jeff
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 09:37:52 AM by SixZeroFour »

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2014, 08:56:13 AM »
Great job Matt!  It looks awesome.   That Logo badge really pops and the hood looks phenomenal.

hankeljs

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2014, 04:59:41 AM »
Matt, thanks for the kind words!

I thought it looked like oak.  I am hoping to be able to salvage my handle, but like you, the rest of the wood is rotted.  I am planning to use cedar as I can't source redwood locally.

I did a little research on the natural gas connections, so I think I know now what is needed.  I'll have to consider if I want to add that as I don't have a line out on the deck yet.

I hope to get a little work done on mine over vacation the next week or so.  Stay tuned!

Jeff

aguyindallas

• WKC Brave
« Reply #24 on: December 25, 2014, 08:41:11 AM »
Awesome work!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My Tools - 22.5 OTG, 26.75 OTG, Genesis 330, Take Anywhere Gasser, 22.5 WSM, Texas Smokemaster Offset Smoker

SixZeroFour

« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2015, 01:06:19 PM »
So after a few more weeks I got the freebie Genesis all cleaned up and ready for a photo.... wheeled it into the backyard and then as soon as I went to set up the swing table the plastic mount broke off in my hand. Looks like it's a week or so out and I'm impatient so here are the finished pics ;)

I'm thrilled with how it turned out and will more than likely be selling my newer Genesis E330 come spring...

Here are the frame parts being painted:

Disassembled hood prior to paint and new emblem:

Here's a quick shot of the oak slats cut to length and receiving a 2nd coat of spar:

And finally the finished product!

Happy New Years!
« Last Edit: January 01, 2015, 01:25:43 PM by SixZeroFour »

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2015, 01:11:56 PM »
Holy cow, that is amazing Matt.  You do some fine work.
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"
8 MBH, 2 WoodDale, a SCG, and other stuff, including Pellet grills.

Ted B

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2015, 06:25:04 PM »
I'm a kettle guy through and through but the more I see rehabs like these the more I want a red head gasser. Very nice work. She's a beauty.

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2015, 06:39:42 PM »
Seriously nice job Matt.  Did I read correctly that you got a new emblem ?

Sramsey

• WKC Brave
« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2015, 07:16:55 PM »
That came out awesome. I think the best part of it is comparing the two pictures. The before picture is just not a tired old grill. It is a ball of laughs how the grates,burners, etc are all in the box like a POS that it is. The final pictures is like a Picasso. If I was had one these already, i would go back to where i picked it up and show them, hey this was your grill that you gave me for free...want to buy it lol.
Own: 14' Black Performer Silver , Retiring 06' Black OTG.