Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: First Roti Cook - Ginger Injected Chicken  (Read 1168 times)

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
First Roti Cook - Ginger Injected Chicken
« on: September 22, 2014, 07:33:14 PM »
Picked up a NIB Kettle Roti yesterday thanks to a tip from MacEggs.  Here she is on a crimson and in the daylight for the first time:

Got going late on this with only 3 hours between when I bought the chicken till it had to hit the kettle...so I injected it with a salt fortified ginger beer.  Grace brand is what I used, and a goodly amount of salt.  I then hit it with some Montreal Chicken Spice and into a ziplock and the fridge.  I did up a carrot/potatoe mix tossed in grapeseed oil, salt and lemon pepper to go under the chicken.  Here she is after about 25 minutes with the vent exhaust reading 450f....at this point I am using apple wood chunks supplied by Lightningboltz:

I think Harry (so named due to a hair in the crimson finish just under the lid vent) looks killer with the black roti ring:

Here is the chicken about 50 minutes in when I am adding more charcoal:

After about an hour and a half the chicken is done.  I checked and the thigh registered 172 and 171 in the breast.  I would have liked a crispier skin but I think putting those veggies underneath was the undoing of that idea. Cooking this bird any longer would have just dried it out.  I knew it was done from the look of it.  Next time I think I will go with no cooking grate and put the parcooked veggies on the charcoal grate in a pan.  These veggies I put in raw and they were not done till 45 minutes after the bird was"

The colour of the skin is great, just not crispy.  Smoke taste on this bird was outstanding with a mild smoke ring on the breast meat too.....and very juicy:

I can see myself using this baby a lot....especially if I get me one them Ribolators.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

argentflame

• WKC Ranger
Re: First Roti Cook - Ginger Injected Chicken
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2014, 09:01:18 PM »
Awesome cook. Love the smoke ring.

SixZeroFour

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2014, 09:32:32 PM »
You didn't waste any time putting that to good use - nice work!
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2014, 07:52:44 AM »
Great looking cook-up, Mike!

A roti is on my wish list ... but, you were much closer. Enjoy, my friend.  :) 8)
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

Winz

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2014, 08:29:20 AM »
I think Harry (so named due to a hair in the crimson finish just under the lid vent) looks killer with the black roti ring:

I agree - nice looking set up and a great cook.  The chicken and the veggies both awesome!

Winz
In an ongoing relationship with a kettle named Bisbee.

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2014, 08:30:18 PM »
Looking nice and juicy! Love that Crimson 22!