Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Remove or leave skin on chicken for beer can smoking?  (Read 2370 times)

cjm7171

• Smokey Joe
Remove or leave skin on chicken for beer can smoking?
« on: May 02, 2014, 11:15:56 AM »
What is your opinion for cooking a beer can chicken on a Weber Silver?  I like to use cherry wood and get the smoke into the meat when I do chicken usually, so I remove the skin whenever I cook bone in breasts.  I don't like to eat the skin.  Does the smoke get through well enough if I leave it on?  I know it would stay moister, but doing the beer can method always seems to make it super moist anyway.

tb80

• WKC Ranger
Re: Remove or leave skin on chicken for beer can smoking?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2014, 12:24:39 PM »
I don't do beer can chicken any more (I do the spatchcock method). However with both methods I leave the skin on but apply rub and butter under the skin. I generally don't eat the skin though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for Blue Mastertouch or Blue Performer. 

Currently have: Performer (Green); 22.5 Mastertouch (Red); 26.75 OTG;  22.5 WSM; 18.5 WSM; Jumbo Joe; SJS (Green Uline); SJG (used for Mini WSM); Blue SS Performer; Blue MBH; Summit

Winz

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2014, 04:39:05 PM »
However with both methods I leave the skin on but apply rub and butter under the skin

Same here.  I believe the skin protects the meet from drying out, especially when you put some butter under the skin.

To ensure good smoke flavor with chicken, I go heavy on the smoking chunks to generate lots of smoke.

Winz
In an ongoing relationship with a kettle named Bisbee.

Tim in PA

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2014, 04:48:31 AM »
The skin is the best part!
-2012 Black Performer-2006 Green OTG-2009 Q Gasser-

One Touch Platinum

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2014, 05:38:09 PM »
Leave the skin, remove the can! The paint and the plastic liner are toxic! You can use a chicken seat or other method to cook your bird. Be careful, this can be as bad as galvanized metal in your grill....very bad for you when in contact with high heat!
If it needs to be Heated to be Eated, I can do it on my Weber!

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2014, 11:38:14 PM »
Couldn't agree more, the popes nose is pretty good too!
I'm only 2 or 3 kettles away from being that creepy guy down the street with all the Webers
                            WKC Collaborator
                        Viva La  Charcoal Revolution

kaz

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2014, 06:11:31 AM »
Bean Can Chicken!
#grubdubs

wyd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2014, 08:23:40 AM »
I'm with Tim.  I leave the skin on when I do my beer can chicken.  I like the crispy skin mixed in with my bites of chicken.  Now where I might differ than some is I like to use one of the flavored woods like Apple and then a chunk of Mesquite.  From reading and seeing many posts I know many like Hickory but from when I started I enjoy the Mesquite flavor as my main wood and then hit it with some fruit wood to.  Works out well for me.  They say too heavy of Mesquite can make for a bitter taste but never have had that happen as I don't go hog wild on my chunk sizes.
Platinum Performer Kettle (In Blue), OTG (In Blue)
Genesis Gasser (In Blue), Smokey Joe (Uline Lime)
Looking to buy (18.5 blue or brownie and blue lantern)

vader06

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2014, 10:38:25 AM »
Skin on.  I use cherry wood as well and instead of beer I use cherry coke.  So it is Cherry coke can chicken. 
Genesis Gold B, 18" WSM, 18" Yellow, 22" Blue OTG, 22" Lime MBH, 22"  Black SJ, Black Jumbo Joe Platinum and Red 22" LE.