Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Ribs and Beer Can Chicken  (Read 1877 times)

Winz

• WKC Ranger
Ribs and Beer Can Chicken
« on: May 02, 2014, 04:13:40 PM »
Decided to give the Kettles a rest today, and explore the capabilities of my recently acquired WSM 18.5.  It has been a long time since I have smoked ribs, so that was the primary objective.  I followed the BRITU recipe from the Virtual Bullet Site: http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/rib1.html

Ribs with membrane removed and lightly dusted with dry rub:

A chance to use my new Weber rib rack:

About halfway through the cook, I put a chicken that I had been brining on the lower rack.  The chicken was brined and dry rubbed with John Henry's "Butter Pecan" rub.  I cooked it beer can style with a orange wheat beer.

Ribs off the smoker, just glazed:

The payoff:

I think the chicken is waving hello:

I have always been happy smoking pork using a fuse method on my kettles.  However, I have to admit the WSM is an amazing device for smoking meat.  Rock steady temperatures, long cook capabilities, and lots of real estate. 

I currently have a mini WSM project underway.

Winz
In an ongoing relationship with a kettle named Bisbee.

DirectDrive

• WKC Ranger
Re: Ribs and Beer Can Chicken
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2014, 04:40:49 PM »
Beautiful cook !
Love them WSM's !

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2014, 05:19:13 PM »
Followed the link to the BRITU - interesting.  I will have to give that method a try.

What I want to know more about is that side table mounted to your WSM.  Is it your design? I'd love to see some pictures showing the different parts.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2014, 05:33:08 PM »
Looks good, I just completed my second mini WSM a few weeks ago.  I thought of getting an 18 WSM but I opted for the mini instead.
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

blackdog1101

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2014, 05:38:15 PM »
Getting a WSM is on my short list of things I want to get.  Those ribs look awesome.
Performer OTS
Smokey Joe
Go Anywhere

Winz

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2014, 07:16:21 PM »
Followed the link to the BRITU - interesting.  I will have to give that method a try.

What I want to know more about is that side table mounted to your WSM.  Is it your design? I'd love to see some pictures showing the different parts.

Hoss - I got that idea from the same site:  http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/worktable.html 
The table is a Weber 1800 side table.  The part is discontinued.  I got this one with a kettle I purchased.  You can find the 1800 work tables from time to time in ACE stores or on Ebay.  There is a NIB one at the hardware store near me if anyone is interested.  Some pics for your benefit:

I replaced two of the shelf bolts on my WSM with a 1/4 OD brass fitting that I found in the plumbing department of my local hardware store.  The fitting is held in place on the inside by a collar that has a hex bolt (allen wrench).  Just slide the collar over the fitting and tighten the bolt.  I believe the cajun bandit has a similar grommet for sale, but I just sourced the parts and made my own.  Rather than drill new holes in my WSM, I simply replaced the 1/4 shelf bolt.  This allows me to run probe(s) into the WSM to monitor grate and meat temp.  The temp units sits on the table while cooking:

Winz
In an ongoing relationship with a kettle named Bisbee.

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2014, 09:29:48 PM »
Nice work as usual Winz! I made a special bracket for a side table to mount it on a wsm a while back. I set it up where it will screw on the leg. I need to hook it up and show it again since I can't find the old picture.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2014, 06:29:07 AM »
Looking great, Winz. I love the shelf mod. The bottom hardware is one of those 90deg locking tab latch things, yes? Really creative!
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Weber MD

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2014, 12:12:20 PM »
Nice cook up.

Cuda Dan

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2014, 05:39:04 AM »
Winz,
Nice job on the ribs/chicken and taking it easy cooking.

Dan
Two '86 Red OT 22's (sold one G), '85 Red OT 22, '88 Red OT 22's, '93 Red MT 22 (aka Donna), '93 Red SS Performer (non-gas and non-casters), '02 Green OTP( my brother in law has it now), '04 Green OTG