Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Do you cover your gas grill?  (Read 4141 times)

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Do you cover your gas grill?
« on: March 07, 2018, 04:40:43 PM »
Probably a dumb question but I don’t cover my most used kettles to no ill effect and I wonder if a cover is needed for my recently acquired gas grill. The base appears to be cast aluminum and the hood is porcelain and I don’t see that the internals get wet so am I good to leave it uncovered?  What say you?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
Re: Do you cover your gas grill?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2018, 06:50:48 PM »
I do but I also cover my kettles too.  Keeps them clean.   The old wood handles stay protected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2018, 07:04:51 PM »
I dont cover my kettles but id cover the gasser since it has the holes in the sides of the lid water can get in and make a mess

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

MDiBar

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2018, 06:50:05 AM »
I cover every grill I own, even those that are stored in my shed.  I admit, it’s a bit obsessive.

Tionoel

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2018, 06:28:26 PM »
How can u invest $500 or more in a Gas grill and not spend $50 in a cover to protect it? I have a covers on my 11 grills...

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2018, 10:56:24 PM »
It really depends on which Generation/year of grill you have.  Genny 1-5, 1000 - 5000,  Silver/Gold A/B/C through 2004 all had open carts and were built like tanks.   My 2004 Genny Gold C has sat uncovered for 12 years and there's not a spot of rust even with all the rain and occasional snow we get here in Ky.

That said, the Weber's I have seen that did have problems with rust were all close cart designs, to include ones like the one you picked up.  Most of the parts of the grill will be fine, but the bottom panel of the cart is prone to rusting through.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2018, 05:21:09 AM »

It really depends on which Generation/year of grill you have.  Genny 1-5, 1000 - 5000,  Silver/Gold A/B/C through 2004 all had open carts and were built like tanks.   My 2004 Genny Gold C has sat uncovered for 12 years and there's not a spot of rust even with all the rain and occasional snow we get here in Ky.

That said, the Weber's I have seen that did have problems with rust were all close cart designs, to include ones like the one you picked up.  Most of the parts of the grill will be fine, but the bottom panel of the cart is prone to rusting through.

Thank you. That’s exactly what I wanted to know. I had a feeling there were some models better than others for leaving uncovered.  I might sell the old spirit and look for an old genny.

It might sound silly but a big part of convenience to me is not having to cover a grill.

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2018, 11:25:03 AM »
@HoosierKettle , if I recall, @Joetee had a Weber gasser that rusted internally, thus causing a fire , which led him to ditch the gasser and go with charcoal.  Perhaps he can shed light on this converstation?  @Joetee ?
I like my Kettles like my coffee....strong and black.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2018, 11:35:10 AM »
@HoosierKettle , if I recall, @Joetee had a Weber gasser that rusted internally, thus causing a fire , which led him to ditch the gasser and go with charcoal.  Perhaps he can shed light on this converstation?  @Joetee ?

Lol. I’m not worried about that. I will inspect and clean the inside once in awhile and replace components as needed.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 11:36:41 AM by HoosierKettle »

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2018, 11:55:33 AM »

Lol. I’m not worried about that. I will inspect and clean the inside once in awhile and replace components as needed.

Yeah I figured you would let it get to fire hazard mode...but wanted to make sure you anticipate the rust.

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2018, 02:04:35 PM »

Yeah I figured you would let it get to fire hazard mode...but wanted to make sure you anticipate the rust.

I do think it’s much easier to get into trouble with a gas grill. Grease fires happen quick if your not careful. I prefer kettles in every way and will primarily be cooking with charcoal. The gas grill is kind of on a trial period. I’m basically only using it for those times I want to throw a burger or a chicken breast on. For example, I used it the other night to cook some chicken breast tenderloins for grilled chicken salad for the wife and I. It was such a small amount of thin chicken that it wouldn’t have been worth firing up the kettle. The gasser worked great for that.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2018, 02:08:09 PM »
I won’t be cooking any quantity on the gasser so I shouldn’t have grease fires. I think the internals can rust even if you use a cover.

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2018, 02:21:45 PM »
I won’t be cooking any quantity on the gasser so I shouldn’t have grease fires. I think the internals can rust even if you use a cover.

The internals don't really "rust", they corrode over time due to heat and the fact that when you burn propane, it releases water vapor and carbon dioxide.

If you had brand new internals and left that Genny uncovered for 20 years without ever firing it up, the internals would remain rust free.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2018, 08:10:46 PM »

I do think it’s much easier to get into trouble with a gas grill. Grease fires happen quick if your not careful. I prefer kettles in every way and will primarily be cooking with charcoal. The gas grill is kind of on a trial period. I’m basically only using it for those times I want to throw a burger or a chicken breast on. For example, I used it the other night to cook some chicken breast tenderloins for grilled chicken salad for the wife and I. It was such a small amount of thin chicken that it wouldn’t have been worth firing up the kettle. The gasser worked great for that.

I am finding that my little GGA is perfect for small fast cooks like that.   

Scott Zee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2018, 09:20:37 AM »
Old Gennys' rock. My Jr. is a '91 and it's rock solid. I agree, open cart is the way to go.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

drink a little drink, smoke a little smoke    8)
It's not just a grill, it's a WEBER