Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Weber Genesis Red Head Project  (Read 1548 times)

HarleyGriller

• Smokey Joe
Weber Genesis Red Head Project
« on: April 17, 2018, 11:01:48 AM »
Picked up this naughty red head over the weekend. Planning to to do a complete restore. Looking forward to it! Any tips/recommendations are welcome!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Jon Tofte

• Smokey Joe
Re: Weber Genesis Red Head Project
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2018, 04:49:07 PM »
You can get cedar boards at Lowe’s or HD that can be stained and then sealed with spar urethane. Don’t use polyurethane!!! Cut to length they will really bring out the charm of this grill. The Virtual Weber Bulletin Board where I am also a member has lots of before and after redhead restoration pictures and advice. (I send their members here for the great advice we have, too!)

The handle will be hard to find a replacement. Maybe you can find a person with some woodworking skills and tools to fabricate one. The rest of the replacement parts are easily obtainable. Get some Simple Green and 0000 steel wool and with hard work you can get all the exterior cleaned up as well as the inside of the hood. For the firebox the best way after washing off what you can is to use a 4 inch wire brush mounted on an angle grinder. If you don’t have one they are sold really cheap at Harbor Freight. Not a DeWalt, but more than adequate for occasional use.

Disassemble the hood and after cleaning paint the OUTSIDE of the side pieces with bbq grill black paint. Rustoleum has a mild gloss black that I think looks better than the dull flat black. Also use the high for the top of the frame where it is close to the firebox. For the rest of the frame I recommend Rustoleum 2X. The best source for replacement flavorizer bars is Dave Santana who sells on Craigslist in San Francisco. He is also on eBay as “rcplanebuyer” but you will probably get a better price through CL. His stuff is legendary and if you can afford it his stainless rod grates have no equal. Another grate option is GriilGrates which many love and some don’t. I have a set and in my experience so far they produce extraordinary sear marks and wonderful results.

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club
Custom Platinum One Touc, Red Patent Pending "Aristocrat" 26, Red 22 MBH, Black '00 Flat-top 26, Black 22 MBH, and '74 Black "49'er" 18. And too many projects!

Jon Tofte

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2018, 04:57:45 PM »
 Looking again at your pictures I would say your grates are in very good shape and should clean up fine. They are not my favorite to grill on but if maintained will last a long time. You probably already know better, but never paint any of the inside of the grill or the porcelain hood. You will be amazed how nice that red hood will look after disassembling and cleaning with Simple Green and 0000 steel wool.

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club
Custom Platinum One Touc, Red Patent Pending "Aristocrat" 26, Red 22 MBH, Black '00 Flat-top 26, Black 22 MBH, and '74 Black "49'er" 18. And too many projects!

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2018, 12:32:19 AM »
I believe Zavod makes those handles.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk