Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Do you cover your gas grill?  (Read 4142 times)

Scott Zee

• WKC Ranger
Re: Do you cover your gas grill?
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2018, 09:26:38 AM »
Old Gennys' rock. My Jr. is a '91 and it's rock solid. I agree, open cart is the way to go.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
And yes,  I have a cover. I also cover most all my outside kettles too.

drink a little drink, smoke a little smoke    8)
It's not just a grill, it's a WEBER

DellJones

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2018, 01:20:41 AM »

Old Gennys' rock. My Jr. is a '91 and it's rock solid. I agree, open cart is the way to go.

NICE!!  I need to replace the burners on my Genny Jr.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

vader06

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2018, 11:50:13 AM »
My Genesis Gold B is stored in my garage and it has always had a cover on it.  My kettles are covered too....in the garage.   
Genesis Gold B, 18" WSM, 18" Yellow, 22" Blue OTG, 22" Lime MBH, 22"  Black SJ, Black Jumbo Joe Platinum and Red 22" LE.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2018, 05:55:39 AM »
Keep in mind that a gasser of any generation will have some exposed plastic bits that UV rays will eventually claim. Knobs of course ... and on more recent grills, more plastic sides, tables etc.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2018, 07:14:11 PM »
Yeah, I checked the grill out after all of the rain tonight and with the enclosed cabinet, it definitely needs a cover if I plan on having for any length of time.  I tried to hate this grill but it does come in handy and it’s a great cooker for a quick bite.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Do you cover your gas grill?
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2018, 07:25:45 AM »
You guys twisted my arm. I bought a cover, new flavorizer bars and crossover burner. I hated to spend money on a gas grill but in the event of my death, I want my wife to be able to grill and she won’t use the charcoal.

I’m certain I’m not the first to use that warped psychology on justifying a grill related purchase. [emoji56]

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

CarrieAnn

• WKC Brave
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2018, 05:14:16 PM »
And from the other side... I’ve had a Genny Silver for....um....20+ years and maybe my ex covered it in the beginning but I know for absolute certain it hasn’t been covered in more than 10 years because I have it and I don’t cover it. I currently live in Central IL and before that No IL and this trooper has spent every day of its life outside and fully exposed to all elements. I just got some new grates last year - the original CI grates I still have but they’re beginning to thin in a couple spots. About every three to four years I buy new flavorizer bars. I think I may have also replaced an ignition switch. The worst replacement and the only two things that have rusted out are the little holder for the very bottom small grease pan and the rails that hold the upper grease funnel-like pan. That’s it. Oh and the connections inside the cross bars at the very bottom that the tray sets on. I fixed it by finding a dowel that was just shy of the same size and using decking screws to screw through the side. Worked like a charm.

I’ll add that last year was the first time I really did a deep clean on it. Scraped out a bunch of crap, scrubbed a couple stains off the table. It had been years since it had a scrubbing. It shined up really nice.

Mine are cookers, not lookers. I’d love to be the kind of person who covers them lovingly and keeps them pristine. I’d also love to be ten years younger, 50lbs thinner and independently wealthy. None of the above seem to be happening for me. :)  I fully expect to be able to use this grill as I have been for at least another ten years. I can’t speak to the newer gassers but these bad boys were built to last. I use mine at least 3-4 nights a week during the summer and weekly during the winter. It’s had a foot of snow packed on it and glazed in ice. And it fires right up every time (unless I’ve forgotten to get the tank refilled).  My daughters, now 18 and 15, have been grilling on this grill since they were tall enough to see the grates.

I love my coals but sometimes I just need to get dinner on the table. My gasser lets me do that.

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club