Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: 2nd Cado  (Read 2855 times)

javahog2002

• WKC Ranger
2nd Cado
« on: November 18, 2013, 08:21:53 PM »
So now I have 2 Cados.  I know it's not a Weber. But is is still cool, made in USA and cooks great. Here's the story:

Yesterday I headed up Boulder Canyon into the foothills of the rockies to pick up a vintage Hasty Bake Legacy.  There was a light dusting of snow on the road.  Road was like this until I hit the dirt/snow.

So I finally found the house and picked up this vintage Hasty Bake.  He had it stored in his garage. 

The new Hasty Bakes have stainless front shelves and wheels on the outside of the cabinet.

All of the mechanics worked fine.

The finish avocado green with some metal flake specks.  There is plenty of signs of use. Here's the vintage HB logo.

These units are heavy. The new ones weigh in at 163 lbs.  I guess all of the metal and the real steel/rubber wheels add up.

It included a Rotisserie.  The motor is making a screeching sound depending in which way I hold the housing.  I oiled the gears and it is turning.  I will work on this more at another time. My Weber Rot moter fits the mount.  The skewer is not long enough.

I spent a while cleaning the dust of the unit. There was no crusties on the grill or ash in the ash pan.  It had not been used in years.

So I dropped a couple of lit weber cubes in the ash pan and lowered the coal pan with the crank you see here. 

I loaded it up with 5 big chicken breasts and a few Italian sausages to test her out before the Broncos game.

This grill is big.  I look forward to easily dropping a large brisket on to smoke.

I move the coal up and down a bit during the cook to make sure the lift still worked while hot. 

All in all I am very happy to have Hasty Bake.  I need to order some grease cups for the grease drain and possibly a new stainless shelf and new "official" thermo.

This is a great product.  I am guessing it is a late 60's or early 70's model.

Looking forward to smoking on it.
SSP '00-WSM 18.5-WSM 22.0-'90 MT-Hasty Bake Cado

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
Re: 2nd Cado
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2013, 08:31:04 PM »
Congrats! That looks awesome. How did it cook and hold temp? Just curious, I have not had an up close and personal with one of these.

javahog2002

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2013, 08:47:54 PM »
Congrats! That looks awesome. How did it cook and hold temp? Just curious, I have not had an up close and personal with one of these.

The sausage was great since it did not split and burn.  Chicken was moist.  I slice the breasts in half to make nice flat chicken sammies.

I did not have a working thermometer inside to get an idea. 

BTW, I paid 100.00.  This is my highest priced cooker next to my big Smokemaster offset.

A new Hasty Bake Legacy in black powder coat sells for $999.00. 

BTW, powder coat is not even close to Weber's baked enamel.
SSP '00-WSM 18.5-WSM 22.0-'90 MT-Hasty Bake Cado

kako5256

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2013, 10:16:00 PM »
darn you... i hate (not really) adding things to my wish list!!!
If it's a weber, I can't pass on it. That's my sickness! I hope I am never cured.

Golly

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2013, 01:03:50 AM »
Farken sweet score bro 8) 8)
Golly is on tha cans  ??? :P
GET ON THAT SHIT
WONT TAKE NO FOR AN ANSWER

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2013, 07:45:00 AM »

That rig is way cool...........

Different setup, with the adjustable grate & all.......looks like it could really be fine tuned during a cook !!!!!!

Nice score !!!!!
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Eastex

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2013, 08:39:14 AM »
Great deal, I think your dates are probably right. I went cheap on my grease catcher and just picked up a pack of aluminum mini loaf pans at the grocery store. It is fun to play with the coal height, I think you'll really like it.

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2013, 10:42:12 AM »
Very nice, that's the first Cado HB I have ever seen.