Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: MH Red 18 refurb started  (Read 3229 times)

Bbqmiller

• WKC Ranger
MH Red 18 refurb started
« on: September 06, 2013, 01:51:39 PM »
Finally got some time last weekend to start cleaning the little red 18 I got a few weeks back. The baked on crude on the inside is going to need some oven cleaner. I did scrub the outside with 0000 wool and dawn. Since the top vent is a little loose, is it better just to pop the rivet out to clean underneath the vent. I can tell there is a lot of gunk under there. I can always use a SS bolt to re-attach it.
Lid starting to pop

Bluesman

• WKC Brave
Re: MH Red 18 refurb started
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2013, 01:57:17 PM »
That looks great...........keep it going now
2000 Simpson OTG, 2010 22.5 WSM, 98 SS Perfomer, Q100, Q200, Smoken Bucky UDS, 1983 WGA, 1995 Red Master Touch, Early 70's Red Statesman
2010 Brick Red Touch n' Go Performer
Snap-On Wrench Smokey Joe

HankB

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2013, 02:12:56 PM »
Since the top vent is a little loose, is it better just to pop the rivet out to clean underneath the vent.
The vents I have dealt with have mostly been stiff due to the gunk underneath. The oven cleaner softens that sufficiently to get enough of it out to make the disk move easier. I would be reluctant to drill the rivet if I did not need to do that, but if the loose disk is really a problem, I'm not aware of another way to snug it up. I guess I would try squirting a little Pam under it because that should gum up the works a bit. I also shoot Pam on the rusty spots to apply a protective layer. It should harden like the coating on cast iron with the application of some heat.
kettles, smokers...

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2013, 02:17:23 PM »
My rivet gun is small, and does not really do the plain pan head rivets used on the kettles. 

I think bolts with slots or hex drives do not look nearly as nice.   So ..... I do everything I can to not remove rivets, especially on the top.  Degreasers and water displacement sprays are a good start to gently see if you can get the gunk moving.

Bbqmiller

• WKC Ranger
MH Red 18 refurb started
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2013, 02:53:36 PM »
Actually, the main thing is cleaning underneath the vent. There is a lot of junk underneath the vent. Is it ok to use oven cleaner underneath the vent. I just want to give a good clean before I use it.
The lid vent isn't that loose so I will leave it as is. I agree a bolt and nut doesn't look as good. The top vent is actually in good shape.

Bbqmiller

• WKC Ranger
MH Red 18 refurb started
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2013, 01:06:51 PM »
Well, I tackled the bowl. Two vents are stuck so I will work on that first. Also you can see the remnants of some baked on tape.

Actually. The vents broke with some soap and water. They work pretty good now. No need to pop any of them off.

The lid and bowl are sitting in bags with oven cleaner. I will take them out later this evening.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 10:08:26 AM by Bbqmiller »

Chasing_smoke

• WKC Ranger
MH Red 18 refurb started
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2013, 04:51:34 PM »
That bowl came out great. It's amazing what these kettles hide under the dirt and grime.

"my kettle is more powerful it will do almost anything."
MH Copper mist, Daisy Wheel P, Homer Simpson OTG, Blue 18, Blue Mastertouch, SJS, Genesis Sliver B, Red 18 Bar-b-q-kettle Pat Pending, Copper performer

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2013, 05:09:35 PM »
Looking Good!

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2013, 05:19:14 PM »
Looking good so far!
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

kendoll

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2013, 05:26:19 PM »
Following with interest. Can you provide a breakdown of exactly what you are doing for each stage. I am about to start cleaning a VERY dirty H code blue that I got last week.

Ken
Willing to trade first born for: *Ranger (any colour) *Westerner (yeah right)

*Imperial (Glen-Blue) *Brown GA

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2013, 07:13:24 PM »
Following with interest. Can you provide a breakdown of exactly what you are doing for each stage. I am about to start cleaning a VERY dirty H code blue that I got last week.

Ken
If its too much for you Ken I'll take that blue off your hands :D
I'm only 2 or 3 kettles away from being that creepy guy down the street with all the Webers
                            WKC Collaborator
                        Viva La  Charcoal Revolution

kendoll

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2013, 07:17:12 PM »
Thanks Joel, I'll keep that it mind. ;)

Ken
Willing to trade first born for: *Ranger (any colour) *Westerner (yeah right)

*Imperial (Glen-Blue) *Brown GA

Craig

• WKC Mod
MH Red 18 refurb started
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2013, 07:47:43 PM »
That bowl cleaned up good! Looks brand new!

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2013, 07:59:41 PM »
Nice work!