Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: The Spirit of the WKC: alive, well, and well-fed.  (Read 4154 times)

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
The Spirit of the WKC: alive, well, and well-fed.
« on: August 28, 2013, 05:45:36 PM »
Got a couple of packages in the mail these last two days, and so needed to fire up the grills today in spite of the rain. 

Simulcook:

I look at this scene, and I've got a bunch of generous people to thank.  From left to right,
Thanks to Bman for texting me one midnight to clue me in on the red SS (Bman had already emailed the seller to claim it for me).
Thanks to Peaspurple for selling me the red SS at a fair price, and showing me around his incredible collection.
Thanks to pbegummi and Idahawk and many others for their priceless advice on rehabbing an SS.
Thanks to zavod for the incredible handles.
Thanks to HeyJude for sharing the bounty of the warming rack (a grail for me, for sure).
Thanks to Ted for not treating me like the n00b I was when I stumbled upon the red OT+ for $10 last spring and cluelessly thought I should give it to a friend as a starter kettle.  He kindly encouraged me to keep it. 
Thanks to Duke for sharing the corn ring (a grail for me, and a dream), and for getting this somewhat delicate item to me in perfect condition.  Srsly, he should teach a master class on packing stuff cheap, light, and secure.

The corn ring in action.  Duke insisted that I load 'er up, but the corn pickings are pretty slim around here this time of year.

Brussels spouts piggy-backing over reverse-sear chuck roast.  Dumb of me to start them at the same time, but fortunately it's pretty easy to just pull off the whole warming rack/food, set it aside, and then re-warm the veg when the meat is done.
(Oh, and another HT to zavod, who knew just what to say to my wife when she was ordering handles from him for Father's Day and also asked, "What else do you think Mike would appreciate for the grills?".  Brian didn't miss a beat:  "Craycorts!")

Redder and redder.

Getting a sear on.

Corn, taters, ring (and some eggplant I snuck on there mid-cook). 

I am so grateful for the solidarity and friendship and generosity I have found around here.  Life is serious, and life is often complicated and difficult, and it's a real privilege to have this place to celebrate the simple pleasures of life:  good food well-cooked, good people to share it with, and good friends to celebrate all of the above.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 05:47:57 PM by mike.stavlund »
One of the charcoal people.

edhead35

• WKC Ranger
Re: The Spirit of the WKC: alive, well, and well-fed.
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2013, 05:53:19 PM »
Wow, thank you for sharing that, and thanks to those who he thanked. You were all part of this end result, a fantastic setup and cook.

Peaspurple

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2013, 06:07:12 PM »
Mike I am glad I had a small hand in this. That looks like it was a great meal.
A Wonderful Family!!!

MartyG

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2013, 06:09:35 PM »
Love it Mike! Sometimes a gentle rain cook can be quite pleasant. (Where is that video we saw last year of the color shifting redhead in the rain?) Looking forward to some kettle time myself in the coming week. I cleaned up my red SS thoroughly (for the first time) but have not had a chance to take good pictures. Stay tuned.

Thin Blue Smoke

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2013, 06:28:24 PM »
Well done all around!  Thank you for sharing - after all that is what this is all about, isn't it?  :)

Bman

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2013, 06:40:20 PM »
THAT was a great read!  If that warming rack and/or corn & tater ring go missing, don't look in my yard.  :)
I've always had gas...  And now a bunch of kettles because of this place.  Thanks!

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2013, 06:40:54 PM »
Only one place i know of that would help each other like this, here of course!  Well done to all involved 8)
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

Chasing_smoke

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2013, 06:44:25 PM »
Preach it Mike! Congrats on the new grail items. These are the stories that keep the club going in the right direction! That cook looks great btw!

"my kettle is more powerful it will do almost anything."
MH Copper mist, Daisy Wheel P, Homer Simpson OTG, Blue 18, Blue Mastertouch, SJS, Genesis Sliver B, Red 18 Bar-b-q-kettle Pat Pending, Copper performer

Ted B

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2013, 06:46:01 PM »
Sounds like we like this place for the same reasons. Glad I could be part if it. Though I honestly don't remember my part. :).   That's a sweet setup for sure. Nicely done Mike.

landgraftj

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2013, 06:47:13 PM »
Great story Mike, glad everyone was so helpful to you!
Not everyone deserves to know the real you. Let them criticize who they think you are.

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2013, 08:00:18 PM »
Great story! Wheres the gravey? ;)

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2013, 08:10:38 PM »
It's been a pleasure, Mike! I hope we can all continue to enable you.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

OGlenn

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2013, 08:15:17 PM »
Man, that entire setup looks awesome! The umbrella between the kettle and the SS looks just like my rainy day arrangement.
Uncommon sense seeker

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2013, 08:51:38 PM »
Awesome setup and grails, Mike! This is what the WKC is all about!

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2013, 09:52:07 PM »
That warming rack sure shines.. 8)  Why did ya hafta ruin the inaugural cook with yucky sprouts?!
Oh well, at least I see beef, corn and taters!
Like everyone else, I was happy to assist.. Thats why we are here.. And those Craycorts really look nice.. You have the best wife of all.  8)
I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..