Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Triangle restoration question  (Read 1398 times)

robs2

• WKC Brave
Triangle restoration question
« on: June 16, 2018, 06:20:33 AM »
The front section left of center post was grinded with the dremmel grinding cylinder shown. The section on the right was a) scraped with a razor and then b) “brushed” with the dremmel soft abrasive shown.

Both ways leave a less than perfect result. I’m trying to stay away from evaporust/chemicals, but may not have a choice.

Any suggestions to get this triangle back to “right”?

WTB: rubber-treaded wheels for 22” 69-70 Pat Pending. 

Kneab

• WKC Performer
Re: Triangle restoration question
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2018, 06:24:53 AM »
Evapo rust is the best, easiest and probably the most effective way to handle that.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ISO Brown Go Anywhere

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2018, 06:34:57 AM »
Evapo-Rust is safe to use, not caustic, and reusable. You need something to get into the pitting that's occurred. If sticking with a mechanical fix, consider a wire brush on a drill or the Dremel.

A few other tips that might help, http://weberkettleclub.com/weber-charcoal-grill-restoration/triangle-restoration-rust-removal/

Or, there’s part #80695 depending on what your time is worth.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

robs2

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2018, 06:47:19 AM »
I’ve been searching for a post I read some time ago that perfectly explained the electrolysis method... can’t seem to locate. May give that a shot.

56MPG

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2018, 07:13:32 AM »
Maybe this is the post? Not sure this would work on a triangle the way it did on CI, you might end up having to paint. Worth a try.

http://weberkettleclub.com/blog/2014/08/22/camp-oven-restored-using-electrolysis/
Retired

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2018, 08:44:41 AM »
Lately, I’ve been wrapping each spoke of the triangle in paper towels, then soaking in white vinegar overnight in a trash bag.  This loosens most of the rust. 

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

robs2

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2018, 11:11:21 AM »

Lately, I’ve been wrapping each spoke of the triangle in paper towels, then soaking in white vinegar overnight in a trash bag.  This loosens most of the rust. 

Good, cheap idea. I bet if I do this overnight, it will loosen it enough that my dremmel soft polishers will take care of the rest. Gonna give it ta try.

Thanks!

robs2

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2018, 11:17:18 AM »

Maybe this is the post? Not sure this would work on a triangle the way it did on CI, you might end up having to paint. Worth a try.

http://weberkettleclub.com/blog/2014/08/22/camp-oven-restored-using-electrolysis/

Thanks @56MPG ... that’s exactly what I was looking for. From what I’ve read, it should work just as well on a triangle.

robs2

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2018, 11:50:46 AM »
I’m reading from Good authority that you should not use stainless steel in the electrolysis process as the alloys used break down into a carcinogen.

Is a triangle support stainless steel?

56MPG

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2018, 12:01:19 PM »
Wishful thinking. Triangles are not stainless. Give it a shot. (jolt?)
Retired

YardBurner

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2018, 03:10:54 PM »
Marty's right on. If they were SS
We wouldn't be having this discussion.  A Dremel seems kind a wimpy choice to me.
Oscillating multitool with 220 and a light touch might be the better way to go. Evaporust is a hell of lot less trouble andmess than electrolysis.  Biggest pain with a triangle is finding a large enough shallow container.  I've used a trash bag laid down in a cardboard tray. Just be sure not to poke any holes in the bag.

Then just snip the corner of the bag to drain back into jug.

Sent from my XT1650 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

AZ Monsoon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2018, 04:24:13 PM »
Stop being a weirdo and go get some evaporust and be done with it.

Those little wire wheels for the dremel work awesome though in the crevices when you have a triangle in better shape to work with.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 04:36:44 PM by AZ Monsoon »

jkolantern

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2018, 05:29:25 PM »
Does anybody have a trick to keep them from re-rusting spelt after cleaning?  I've razor bladed a few clean but then a month later they look terrible again

Poorfolks

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2018, 05:40:55 PM »

[/quote
Phosphoric acid works good also (Coca-Cola).

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2018, 08:27:36 PM »
Does anybody have a trick to keep them from re-rusting spelt after cleaning?  I've razor bladed a few clean but then a month later they look terrible again

The only “trick” I can think of is to take them to someone who will sandblast them and powdercoat them.

Or after you prep them, keep hitting them with black BBQ paint as needed.

Paint being the common theme here.

On the other hand, since these don’t see high heat, perhaps there’s some kinda clearcoat that will work, to retain the chromey look?
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch