Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: AD code 26r level at last  (Read 4510 times)

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
AD code 26r level at last
« on: September 04, 2017, 08:28:43 AM »
Been using it for 7 years grossly out of level. Not a big deal until you use it with cast iron and everything settles to one side. Also hot dogs could only be placed parallel to grate. I've been using it with a 1x6 under the back wheels for a year and it was so off it still leaned back. Took me all of 5 minutes to correct. Cut off a full 1 1/4" off the front leg. It's hard to imagine they were that far off at the factory. It's easier to wheel around the patio now too. Probably should have got on this a long time ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
Re: AD code 26r level at last
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2017, 08:36:34 AM »
Funny, my AD code 26er back wheels have been sitting on  1 inch thick pavers its whole life also
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2017, 08:38:41 AM »
Funny, my AD code 26er back wheels have been sitting on  1 inch thick pavers its whole life also

No way!  That is funny. I speculated that  they probably made a decent amount of them this way. Maybe all of the ad codes?

kemmons

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2017, 10:45:56 AM »
Never looked at the code on mine but yes it was way off level.  Bugged the shit out of me

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2017, 11:13:44 AM »
Wow that is way off. Glad it’s all level now.

WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2017, 03:04:38 PM »
I had to test it.

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2017, 07:00:42 PM »
Looks great!

WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2017, 07:47:08 PM »
I noticed mine wasn't level when I tried to season my Paella pan on it. Front leg is a little long. I'll take care of it one of these rainy days.

MDurso

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2017, 12:09:19 PM »
HOLY CATS!!  I remember that tilt!  Yeah.. they had the positions off in the welding of the couplings.  Don't even get me started about the legs sliding out either.  If only they reduced the diameter of the couplings.. GRRRRRR..

Nice little fix for that.
Inventor of things: labelers, automation, currency and counterfeit, cooking, gaming, tech industry, and medical.

Scott Zee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2017, 05:54:57 AM »
My "AT" 26r was off level too...until this morning. Trimmed off an inch+. What a difference. Thanks Hoosier for the easy fix.    [emoji3] 

Sent from my SM-G930V using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

« Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 06:09:41 AM by Scott Zee »
drink a little drink, smoke a little smoke    8)
It's not just a grill, it's a WEBER

MDurso

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2017, 06:14:57 AM »
Another thing that bothered me was the dimple on the coupling and how it would crease the leg.  Eventually it would slip out.  They didn't want to go back to thumbscrews, so how to solve it?

Since all 3 couplings have their center axis extending away from each other , none are parallel, etc and they are all "fixed" or joined with the lower triangle and axle, the only way they could slip out is if they were sloppy in the coupling.  Almost like why a teepee can stand.

I made up a set of couplings where it was a slip fit, very little slop, between the coupling and the leg.  Since they couldn't wiggle and were being held in position with the triangle, they wouldn't fall out because nothing was wobbly or out of shape (the crease in the tube).

But it seemed to confuse them because "well what's holding it in place?"  and I guess physics and geometry were beyond the science of fire for them... on to the shelf went the idea.
Inventor of things: labelers, automation, currency and counterfeit, cooking, gaming, tech industry, and medical.

qrczak1

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2017, 10:06:55 PM »
@HossierKettle - thnx a lot for this thread. Few months ago I bought black 26, only few times used (export version). Lately I used it for the first time and realised that it's out of level and I was really pissed as all the grease   from spare ribs was falling down in the kettle instead of a tray. First what I thought was not properly levelled ground. It was not the case. Second thought was the leg sockets but they looked ok. Now I know the reason... I don't remember the code I have (will  check it later) but most probably it's also AD.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2017, 10:12:07 PM »
That's so strange that this grill is so un level. 1 1/4 inch? Damn. That's a lot. Good job and it seems your fix has sparked others to do the same!

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2017, 03:16:10 AM »
Holy crap! 1 1/4 inch off?! That's absurd! Good heads up for letting others know an easy fix! Oh, and a fine display of foodage!
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2017, 03:51:34 AM »
Just to clarify, I removed the front leg and cut the top of the leg off.  Glad it's inspiring some to fix theirs. I still can't believe I went this long without fixing it but it looks like I'm not the only one.

« Last Edit: September 09, 2017, 03:54:48 AM by HoosierKettle »