Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Pork chops- low and slow?? hot and fast??  (Read 2644 times)

mshred

• Happy Cooker
Pork chops- low and slow?? hot and fast??
« on: June 06, 2017, 06:42:05 PM »
First time doing pork chops on the grill tomorrow and wondering what method works best for cooking them. They are 1" thick bone in chops, and I have many recipes I cook them in on the stove or oven, but want to try bbq'ing them tomorrow.

If anyone has any good recipes or cooking techniques they can share it would be appreciated! Should I go high heat for a couple minutes a side like a well done steak? Longer over indirect heat? Sauce or no sauce? Open to try anything!

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Pork chops- low and slow?? hot and fast??
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2017, 06:53:48 PM »
Longer on indirect and finish over the coals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Rub

• WKC Ranger
    • Swamp Boys BBQ
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2017, 07:38:26 PM »
I cook them like a steak, either a reverse sear like @kettlebb mentioned or direct hot and fast. Both are great.
In the market for unicorns to complete my collection: Ambassador, Plainsman, Meat Cut, Custom, Blue 18 MBH, Green 18 MBH

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2017, 05:14:25 AM »
I've done them both ways.  I usually do smoked chops in the winter because it's easier to keep temps down.  When I do smoke them, I use an  A-Maz-N tube.

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2017, 05:35:22 AM »
Around the Vortex...  :)

Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2017, 06:55:45 AM »
Longer on indirect and finish over the coals.

This is how I like to do them.  Takes a little longer, but worth the extra time.  S&P for seasoning …. Delicious!  :D
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

mshred

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2017, 05:48:30 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions guys! I cooked them for about 30 mins over indirect and then a couple minutes per side over direct (was a little too much time I think) and it turned out pretty decent.

How long is too long for indirect? Even when it comes to reverse searing a steak, how much time should it spend over indirect?

fljoemon

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2017, 06:28:15 PM »
I stick in a temp probe for the indirect cook and pull it out at 125 degree F. Then a quick sear for 90 seconds each side and it comes out around 135 degrees F. Then rest it for 5 to 10 minutes loosely tented with aluminum foil. The carryover cooking finishes up at around 145 degrees F. The juiciest pork chops all the time ... I also always wet brine my pork chops overnight with water, kosher salt & some herbs n ziplock bags.

Dc_smoke309

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2017, 12:17:47 PM »
I enjoy my chops just about everything I cook , low and slow . Indirect is best in my opinion . And what's the rush? Nothing better than a cold beer , watching the smoke, and smelling good food!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

JDD

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2017, 12:21:17 PM »
I like them both ways. Sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you don't.
May The Smoke Be With You!