Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Grilling with a Cast Iron pan  (Read 1505 times)

Skinsfan1311

• Smokey Joe
Grilling with a Cast Iron pan
« on: May 09, 2017, 05:02:36 AM »
I want to cook on the kettle, or gasser, with our cast iron.   Any tips, or suggestions, with cooking with a cast iron pan, on a grill,  would be greatly appreciated.  Wouldn't mind a recipe, or two, either.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 06:59:54 AM by Skinsfan1311 »
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy"

Joetee

• WKC Brave
Re: Grilling with a Cast Iron pan
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2017, 05:22:36 AM »
I'm not inexperienced with using one on the grill,  but you don't want to over heat it and you want to maintain the seasoning. Never use soap. Always use hot water. Always dry on the stove after you wipe it down with oil. Let it cool with the oil covered all inside.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2017, 05:26:32 AM »
Using cast iron is a skill all it's own. Your best reference will be YouTube. Lots of good tips there.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2017, 06:00:18 AM »
Here is some good reading about using and maintaining CI.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/11/the-truth-about-cast-iron.html

Seasoning.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2016/09/how-to-season-cast-iron-pans-skillets-cookware.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Skinsfan1311

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2017, 07:01:02 AM »
Using cast iron is a skill all it's own. Your best reference will be YouTube. Lots of good tips there.

Thanks, maybe I mis-worded the OP      I've been cooking, cleaning and maintaining cast iron pans for 30+ years       

I should've left the "cleaning" aspect out.  I was thinking of the black carbon that builds up on aluminium pans, after using a propane burner when steaming crabs, or boiling shrimp.  I've amended the OP   My bad.

Anyway, the recipes aspect of the question still holds.  Any favorites that you care to share would be greatly appreciated.

Skinsfan1311

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2017, 07:01:25 AM »
Here is some good reading about using and maintaining CI.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/11/the-truth-about-cast-iron.html

Seasoning.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2016/09/how-to-season-cast-iron-pans-skillets-cookware.html

Thanks, maybe I mis-worded the OP      I've been cooking, cleaning and maintaining cast iron pans for 30+ years       

I should've left the "cleaning" aspect out.  I was thinking of the black carbon that builds up on aluminium pans, after using a propane burner when steaming crabs, or boiling shrimp.  I've amended the OP   My bad.

Anyway, the recipes aspect of the question still holds.  Any favorites that you care to share would be greatly appreciated.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2017, 07:34:44 AM »
Ah, I see. You have more experience than I. I'm definitely no expert and cleaning as it pertains to carbon build up on the outside is a good one. I haven't completely figured that out. I usually give a wipe with a wet rag on the outside then dry on the stove and wipe with a little oil. However, I still am not getting all of the carbon off. I have a gas stove inside so the black doesn't get the stove dirty but I do not set any of my cast iron on the counter tops because I know it will get them a little dirty.

As far as recipes on the kettle, I pretty much cook what I cook inside but on the kettle. Cornbread, burgers, eggs, bacon, stuffed salmon, pan fried items, etc. I like to use it outside to keep the mess outside instead of destroying the kitchen. Sometimes I'll use the Coleman stove too.

EricD

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2017, 08:13:45 AM »
Treat it like a griddle... anything you'd cook on a flat-top or griddle will work the same in CI.
I've just wiped my pan down after and never noticed a build up of that carbon.   ----- I wonder if it's a black pan so I didn't notice, or carbon behaves differently on the aluminum....
22" Kettle black, 18" Kettle black,Genesis S-310 Stainless Gasser, Genesis Silver Edition Gasser, 22" Weber Smoky Mountain, 28" Blackstone Griddle, Blackstone Pizza oven, Maverick ET-732
ThermaPop, Grillaholics Grill Mat, PizzaQue, Kettle Rotiserrie

Thrillho

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2017, 09:23:09 AM »
I use my cast iron on my kettle to cook most anything I would on the gas stove top. Especially things not well suited for the grate, like saluted mushrooms and onions, sauces etc. Also done things like claims in wine sauce on the grill. Have fun with it. If you have 30 yrs experience using cast iron (way more than I do) you should have no issue hitting the ground running.

The conversation about carbon build up on the bottom of the cast iron is interesting, never given it much thought until now.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2017, 12:13:49 PM »
A black iron pan should be in every grillfella's  arsenal.