Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Brought my first red head home today  (Read 5599 times)

stellato1976

• WKC Brave
Brought my first red head home today
« on: August 03, 2016, 04:58:19 PM »
Seen the ad on Craigslist this morning. It was advertised for 18 days. Guy was asking $20 so 3 hours round-trip and 2 Happy Meals I own a 18-inch Weber. I like the price of the grill just not the drive time. LOL what year is the grill? The vent says patent pending.. the bowl and lid are almost perfect no chips or scratches just needs a little TLC. Any tips on cleaning up would be greatly appreciated. What is the best thing to clean the vents with? Is it worth doing a restoration on or just cleaning up? The wheels and triangle look pretty bad. The handle may just need stained and cleared. But I do know where to get a new one. LOL.    . .
Stay grilling  my friends!!!!

Kneab

• WKC Performer
Re: Brought my first red head home today
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2016, 05:07:41 PM »
Nice find. Read the restoration links on this site. Razor blades, dish soap and 4/0 steel wool are the main things required along with a little elbow grease. A few hours later you will see your reflection in the bowl.

addicted to charcoal

ISO Brown Go Anywhere

Cellar2ful

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2016, 05:26:37 PM »

@stellato1976 -  You have a "Patent Pending" 18" redhead there (69-70). Nice score. It is beautiful.
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

stellato1976

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2016, 05:27:44 PM »
just found resto section... just the step by step I need.

stellato1976

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2016, 05:29:12 PM »

@stellato1976 -  You have a "Patent Pending" 18" redhead there (69-70). Nice score. It is beautiful.
Thanks for the help with the year...so drive may have been worth it

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2016, 05:31:25 PM »
Dude that is a kick ass find! Worth the drive at that price. I haven't started my restore project yet but you have a lot less work ahead of you than I. Congrats.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2016, 06:10:06 PM »
Beautiful find!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2016, 06:20:00 PM »
I love score like this. Well worth a drive.  Should look like brand new once cleaned up. Legs should clean up nicely. Wheels might need sand blasting to clean up and make it new again. Love those wheels, well worth saving.  Triangle might still look pitted after cleaning. Might be better to just replace it. Really surprised how good  condition the lid/handle and the bowl are.

Great score!  We are seeing quite of few nice 18" pop up in few days including high $, no thank you Limes.  I got one of my 18" from Denver to introduce tomorrow. ;)

stellato1976

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2016, 06:40:43 PM »
are the triangles all standard? or do I need a special one? do the wheels come apart the rubber from the metal? going to clean the lid and bowl tomorrow will post some pics..

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2016, 06:48:32 PM »
are the triangles all standard? or do I need a special one? do the wheels come apart the rubber from the metal? going to clean the lid and bowl tomorrow will post some pics..

Triangles should be same.   Rubber part on the wheels might be fragile.  I would just tape up the rubber part and get the metal part sand blasted. White wall area might be also taped off depending on the condition.   Looking forward to the after pics.

varekai

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2016, 07:22:59 PM »
Gorgeous!!  That'll clean up so nice!!!
CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.

JDD

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2016, 07:31:21 PM »
That is nice!
May The Smoke Be With You!

varekai

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2016, 07:34:00 PM »
Also on a side note, LISTEN TO THE "VETERANS" HERE....When I first started this whole kettle thing I read how all you needed was a razor blade, steel wool and elbow grease. I figured if a razor and steel wool worked, I would forego the elbow grease and whip out the angle grinder with a wire cup on it...ELBOW GREASE MY ASS!.... To the point, DON'T DO IT!  Luckily I went cautiously and realized I was going to BURN the finish from the friction alone. I now own a big jar of "elbow grease". The other night I was cleaning a kettle, most of the ones I have gotten barely make it home and wiped off before I cook on them,  This was the pre-elbow grease time, and realized just how EASY a grimy ass kettle is to clean up. TIP, change blades often, But yes, The guys here know their shit! listen and you will appreciate it.
CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.

stellato1976

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2016, 08:35:12 PM »
I am afraid to put the steel wool on the red... I will go slow and lite and use the weber cleaner and hope she shines when done.  fingers crossed.

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2016, 01:25:10 AM »
That is a great score !! …. It will look pristine when finished …

The handle still looks like its in fair shape / condition. 
I recommend 0000 steel wool, then some tung oil.  Then finish with a couple three coats of spar varnish (satin finish - or, your choice).

The wheels …. @glrasmussen told me about this stuff.  Found it in the laundry soap section of Wal-Mart.

MacEggs, I have good success with this product.

This was less than a minute each wheel. Toothbrush and rinse.

Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.