Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Ranch Kettle Side Tables  (Read 8178 times)

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
Ranch Kettle Side Tables
« on: October 21, 2015, 01:05:18 AM »

I've been planning on making some tables for a few months now. It seems strange to have such a large kettle without any table/serving space. Being mod month it helped to build my enthusiasm and get to work.
Main specs for the table were , it must be portable as we often cook at comps, parties and other events.
I wanted to attach a table without drilling into the kettle or cart, so no mod to the actual kettle, basically a table that could be used on any RK in a cart
It also had to keep all the main functions operable that come with RK, like lid holder, daisy wheels, ash pan and the grill still be accessible from the front of the kettle cart.
So I've always loved the simplicity of kettle tables from the 70's through to the 90's and decided to adapt their ideas to the RK
My main inspiration came from this table weber sold in OZ in the 90's

The hardest part was working out how to attach a table without drilling or compromising the existing cart. So I stumbled across these SS brackets and something clicked that they might work on the cart

With a bit of work with an angle grinder, they fit perfectly on the RK using the existing bolts for the cart and don't interfere with any functions on the RK. The bracket rests against the leg of the cart which keeps it solid with or without the weight of the mounted table and means it only needs one fixing point which is an existing hole where the bowl is mounted to the cart. Brackets are removable and are unobtrusive to the look of the RK when no tables are mounted

So the bracket on the RK is sorted , now how to attach a table
I used these SS steel pins welded to a flat piece of SS to attach to the table and then the bracket on the RK.
Again that needed some work with the angle grinder
[/URL
[URL=http://s1165.photobucket.com/user/joelhogston/media/Ranch%20Snake/9FCCFBB3-2273-4ACD-970F-E235C095B418_zps18bxmghd.jpg.html]

So that was the he hard part out of the way, now to build the table. I decided to use spotted gum which is an Aussie hardwood that has great colour and grain and pretty much used the design from the table Weber sold a couple of decades ago
Here's the money shots-

Each table is 4ft long by 2ft wide and there's a 1/2 inch gap between the bowl and the table. Also the rim on the bowl hides the end of the table giving it a nice clean look

Rotisserie is still fully functional

Had to get one with myself in the pic

And my young bloke

I'm only 2 or 3 kettles away from being that creepy guy down the street with all the Webers
                            WKC Collaborator
                        Viva La  Charcoal Revolution

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
Re: Ranch Kettle Side Tables
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2015, 01:21:13 AM »
Impressive, Joel!  Looks great out in the wild ….
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2015, 01:26:32 AM »
Impressive indeed, well thought out, one question though how is it raising and lowering the lid with the tables attached?
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

Santo

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2015, 02:16:04 AM »
Wow...very well done, that is a killer set up.

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2015, 04:10:50 AM »
Impressive indeed, well thought out, one question though how is it raising and lowering the lid with the tables attached?
It's just as awkward as with no tables Ron😀
As you know it's a lift and slide motion into the lid bale, probably easier for a taller gent like yourself
I'm only 2 or 3 kettles away from being that creepy guy down the street with all the Webers
                            WKC Collaborator
                        Viva La  Charcoal Revolution

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2015, 04:42:30 AM »
#inspired  Great idea! Miss not have a table when using the beast. I see a spring project in the near future. Thanks of sharing.

Jtayres

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2015, 05:12:22 AM »
Those look awesome. Well Done!
Kettles: 2015 Performer Deluxe (Green), 2001 One Touch Platinum, 1999 Performer gas assist, 1991 Smokey Joe Gold (Green) Gasser: Genesis Silver B

Jon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2015, 05:41:34 AM »
Very nice. The legs fold?

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2015, 06:59:44 AM »
That's fantastic!

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2015, 07:18:07 AM »
Beautiful, we'll done.
Too bad Weber can't accessorize this grill...like Big Green Egg does.  But I understand, there aren't as many Ranch owners out there.
Kettle collector AND cooker!

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2015, 07:36:30 AM »
Very nice work!
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2015, 07:49:04 AM »
Thats a super useful mod, a fella needs space for food going in and coming out especially grilled foods that dont cook for a long time.

Great mod thanks
You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2015, 07:59:33 AM »
That is sweet.   You can fit 2 SJS's on each side as warming dishes for your grill-centric buffet table!
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

wyd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2015, 08:03:07 AM »
Wow that is awesome.  Very nicely done.
Platinum Performer Kettle (In Blue), OTG (In Blue)
Genesis Gasser (In Blue), Smokey Joe (Uline Lime)
Looking to buy (18.5 blue or brownie and blue lantern)

micky

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2015, 08:55:20 AM »
Just beautiful.  Congratulations.