Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: 22" accessories that I should buy?  (Read 6586 times)

beerdoodle

• Happy Cooker
22" accessories that I should buy?
« on: June 07, 2015, 12:18:27 PM »
So, I'm the new proud owner of a 22" Weber Performer Deluxe. I went with the 22" because I know it's the most common and popular grill that they sell. I also know that there are more cool accessories available for the 22" than any of the other kettle sizes. So, what are some of the cool accessories that I should get. I am already looking at getting the rotisserie, but I've heard that there are non-Weber brands that might be better.

Suggestions?

Thanks,
Seth

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
Re: 22" accessories that I should buy?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2015, 01:10:17 PM »
Look up Cajun Bandit. They make a really cool SS roti. They also make a n SS Stacker that can basically turn your 22" kettle into a smoker, similar to the WSM.
The newer Weber rotis are a big improvement over the old ones.

On the other end of the budget spectrum, you can't go wrong with some fire bricks and aluminum foil!
« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 01:14:31 PM by jcnaz »
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2015, 06:05:11 PM »
It's hard to recommend something without knowing exactly what you like so my vote is something that you can use every time you grill. Meat thermometer/thermapen, quality grilling tools, heat resistant gloves, or weber chimney are good places to start. Other options are sear grates, cast iron skillets, or wood chunks.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

FP_Weber

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2015, 10:21:37 AM »
Rotisserie, and if you are inclined, the skewer attachment, both work well!
A chimney starter is also a definite requirement.
Cast iron grate, but only providing you are prepared for the extra work keeping it clean.

blksabbath

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2015, 10:30:10 AM »
BBQ utensils, grate brush, remote thermometer, instant read thermometer, pizza stone, lots of charcoal, meat, and beer.

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2015, 03:55:44 PM »
Another vote for the rotisserie.
I've also recently become a big fan of the charcoal baskets. Use them for high temp sears, or set up for low and slow smokes, but I think the charcoal baskets came with you grill.

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2015, 04:02:20 PM »
If you dont have one...weber smokey mountain is great accessory for kettle.  It always happens sooner or later...better to buy early to enjoy the synergies sooner
Grills

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2015, 04:59:05 PM »
There are so many great items, but nothing more useful or transformative for your cooking than a Thermapen.  Expensive, yes, but you'll thank me later. 
One of the charcoal people.

Chuck

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2015, 05:45:11 PM »
Lots of great suggestions on the incidentals. When buying things, consider the quality vs cost vs long term use of the item.

The Thermapen is a great tool as has already been mentioned. You can find closeout deals on certain colors and refurbs for about $79 every 6-8 weeks (probably around July 4th there'll be another sale). I picked up a refurb last year and its been invaluable.

For a remote thermometer you'll find a lot of fans of the Maverick ET-733. There is a new 735 model with bluetooth that syncs with your phone/tablet, but from what I've read here and elsewhere there's a lot of negative issues with it. If you're planning on smoking with the grill, its needed if you don't want to keep running outside to check your temps. I see discounts on them every 4 months or so.
This is a fairly cheap hobby when you consider the time  with family and friends and how many meals are created.

minnesotaman82

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2015, 07:10:47 PM »
I have to agree with the votes for instant read thermometer. The thermapen is the Cadillac, but I have a thermoworks RT-301WA super fast pocket thermometer and it works great. They got them going for $35 on Amazon. The read time is 6 seconds vs 3 with the thermapen. Bottom line, any quality instant read thermometer will greatly improve your grilling outcomes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2015, 11:11:47 PM »
If you plan on cooking ANY item less than well done, then "get a Maverick ET-733".  ThermaPen is great, I got the British Racing Green for $79 on close-out.
Now your set for L&S, indirect, or direct cooking in that new Performer.  Your needs for All of the other "accessories" will become known to you as you cook, cook, cook.  SJ
"Too Beef, or Not too Beef" ...

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".

Metal Mike

• WKC Ranger
    • The Best Podcast in the Universe
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2015, 07:56:45 AM »
you probably have gas assist (starter) so a chimney isn't priority,
just get a good mix of utensils & start your Cast Iron collection.
...BOBBING FOR COALS IN MY KETTLE

Metal Mike

• WKC Ranger
    • The Best Podcast in the Universe
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2015, 07:59:57 AM »
+never hurts to have two sets of tongs

one clean (Food) & a cheap or "dirty" set for arranging coals (hot or cold)
...BOBBING FOR COALS IN MY KETTLE

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2015, 08:54:01 AM »
A warming rack or stacker

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Wanted plum/burgundy 18.5
WTB Color Copies of old Weber Catalogs

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2015, 04:22:19 PM »
Thermapen! I'm a pretty big fan of my vortex too.

+1 on two sets of tongs. I use my crappy old pair for coals and my new better pair for food. Some people go three pairs, for coals, raw food, and cooked food, but I think it's overkill. I don't mind Doug a quick wash after putting stuff on the grill.