Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Weber Gassers  (Read 6456 times)

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
Weber Gassers
« on: December 24, 2012, 02:25:20 AM »
In OZ every backyard has a gas BBQ and only a few have solid fuel style BBQ's that normally get dragged out once a year at Xmas time to do the Xmas roast
I personally love the Weber Q range to me there like a gas version of the kettle
You can roast, grill, smoke, low &slow and bake
Just wondering what gas BBQ's y'all use over there in the states?
I'm only 2 or 3 kettles away from being that creepy guy down the street with all the Webers
                            WKC Collaborator
                        Viva La  Charcoal Revolution

reillyranch

• WKC Ranger
Re: Weber Gassers
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2012, 04:07:26 PM »
The Q 220 is my go to gas grill.  We use it 2-3 times a week all year round.   Just cooked some brats on it tonight.  The wife uses it most of the time (kids got to eat long before I get home). 

I am the main charcoal cook.  This time of year I cook on charcoal once or twice a month (shameful).  The longer days of summer I will cook on the charcoal once a week.  I use a old black performer. 

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2012, 09:31:27 PM »
I don't have a gas grill.  I have cooked on one two times in my life.  We go on Vacation and there is some piece of shit gas grill there.  I can barely figure out how to use it. The first time I did, the fucking thing belched so much smoke I had people yelling at me and starring to see if the complex was on fire.   It sucked...other than that, never used one and don't ever plan to.  I wouldn't even know what to look for if I had to get one.  Not saying it's bad to use one or own one, I just don't have one myself...I am 100% charcoal.

Brian
Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

Eastex

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2012, 05:54:42 AM »
I've got a 2006 Genesis Gold C model , I got it used for $50 and it came with stainless grates and deflectors. I had a "commercial" Char Broil before that and it was a turd. The stainless lid on it was in fine shape but every single other piece on it rusted out. The Weber gas grills are far and away better than the competition, they're farther ahead of the other gas grills than their kettles are from their charcoal competition. All that said, I've used the side burner on mine to light charcoal almost as much as I've actually cooked on it.

Sonny Roach

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2012, 10:40:47 AM »
I have a Q200 which is a handy tailgate grill, cools off for storage before you go to the game. I bought an almost new Spirit for $50 two summers ago, brought it home and cleaned the grate and bars, lit it to make sure it worked and covered it up. Blocks the wind off my kettles.

bob hope

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2012, 02:38:22 PM »
I've 100% charcoal for almost 5 years and before the nightmare I had never used gas but about 5&1/2 years ago the wife decided that she wanted a gas after three weeks of her cooking on the P.O.S. she went to start it and blew her eyebrows off. I got to throw it out after that and hasn't said a word since  ;D
Because Here we are Friends. Here we are Brothers.
A family in the name of Weber.

Ted B

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2012, 02:56:42 PM »
I wasted ten years cooking on a cheap pos gas.  I'm sure the weber ones are much much better.  After fighting it for so long and hating the results, I quit grilling altogether for six months or so until three years ago when I bought my first 18.  My wife found a red 22 otp for $20 on a garage sale a couple of months later and I haven't touched a gasser since.  I really have no interest at all in going back.  If I did it would be a weber, but it aint gonna happen if I can help it. 8)

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2012, 07:28:11 PM »
Was gas for years. Converted 15 years ago with a simple black one touch, then two for years. Worked,  now with SS with gas assist, I see know advantage for home cooks.

Golly

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2012, 09:11:54 PM »
i have a genesis gasser from around 1985 ish
had it for about a year and its only been kicked over 3 or 4 times
heres a pic
it could do with a minor sand and polish of the timber

« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 07:38:13 PM by Golly »
GET ON THAT SHIT
WONT TAKE NO FOR AN ANSWER

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2012, 07:12:54 AM »
We have a Gasser. Very nice and simple 2 burner model with cast iron grates.
It works very well and is used for steaks and burgers. Its primarily the wifes, she really doesn't like to use charcoal. The only issue is that they have more maintenance than charcoal.
The Weber gas grills are far and above any other when it comes to use and longevity.
If you maintain them, they treat you right for a very long time with minimal cost.
You can usually find used ones for free or cheap. (At least around here.)
Just like kettles, there are rare ones in differnet colors.
I think of it as one more tool thats available. If I don't have lots of time to get a meal out, the gasser can make quick work of it.
I think Brian M. uses one to roast his coffee. That's definitely a cool use of a gasser!
 8)
I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..

reillyranch

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2012, 01:14:46 PM »
Hey Golly, what is the lable on the right hand side of the lid say?  It looks like an address, maybe of the store where it was bought?  Maybe your address, kind of "if found please call...".

Usually I would say it hard for people to loose their grill, but you all down in OZ take your barbies to a higher level.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 01:24:37 PM by reillyranch »

Golly

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2012, 03:13:09 PM »
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 07:39:08 PM by Golly »
GET ON THAT SHIT

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2012, 07:38:11 PM »
Whd do you need to remove your hat before lighting the bbq?  8)
I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..

Golly

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2012, 07:56:49 PM »
Whd do you need to remove your hat before lighting the bbq?  8)

because its a weber  its like royalty  :P
GET ON THAT SHIT

HankB

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2012, 05:22:54 AM »
I have a Q220 that I use occasionally as well as a 12 year old Silver A (two burner propane.) I like the convenience of propane for quick cooks like grilling some vegies or the occasional burger. For longer cooks or something special, like steaks, salmon or shrimp, I'll fire up a charcoal burner.

The other day I did a reverse sear steak. I started it on the Silver A turned way down and had charcoal going for a hot finish.
kettles, smokers...